Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newsday to Charge for web access + paper going up to $1

Newsday to Charge for web access + paper going up to $1

[URL="http://www.1010wins.com/Newsday-to-Charge--5-Per-Week-for-Web-Access/5499324"]http://www.1010wins.com/Newsday-to-Charge--5-Per-Week-for-Web-Access/5499324[/URL]

Newsday to Charge $5 Per Week for Web Access

NEW YORK (AP/1010 WINS) -- Newsday will start charging some readers $5 per week for access to its Web site beginning next Wednesday, a move many newspapers have been contemplating but few have yet to try for fear of driving readers away.

Rather than looking to find a significant new revenue source online, though, Newsday's parent company, Cablevision Systems Corp., hopes the move will make subscriptions to the printed newspaper and its Internet access service more attractive. Customers of either will still get the Long Island newspaper's site for free.

Cablevision said it already reaches about 75 percent of Long Island households with either or both services, meaning it won't be charging those it considers its core readers.

``We recognize that our overall (Web) traffic is going to decline,'' said Debby Krenek, Newsday's managing editor and senior vice president for digital media. ``But we're really focused on our Long Island audience.''

Newsday plans to start restricting Web access to non-subscribers beginning next Wednesday -- though the home page, classified ads, weather, movies, stocks, obituaries, school closings and community programs will still be accessible for free.

The newspaper, the 12th top-selling newspaper in the U.S. with average Monday-Friday circulation of about 368,000, has stepped up efforts to improve the site this year, creating features to sort news by ZIP code and offering customized updates on different topics. It also added a high-definition video player.

Cablevision, which acquired Newsday from Tribune Co. last year, indicated in February that it was contemplating Web access fees.

Newspaper publishers, including The New York Times and the Star Tribune of Minneapolis, are increasingly considering fees for at least some of their online content as a way to boost revenue in light of steep declines in print advertising.

But many are also worried that such a pay wall could push readers to abandon newspaper Web sites for free options elsewhere. That, in turn, would drive down ad revenue.

Still, the growth of online revenue has not kept pace with the decline in print advertising, which quickened during the recession. Many readers and advertisers are shifting to the Web, but competition there is higher and online ad rates are typically much lower than those for print.

TM & Copyright 2009 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO & EYE Logo TM & Copyright 2009 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. TheAssociated Press contributed to this report.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

lol...has anyone read a Newsday recently? The paper is all ads and the website could be the worst news website I've ever seen.

We all know this is coming to many other websites but this is just laughable imho

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3324372]lol...has anyone read a Newsday recently? The paper is all ads and the website could be the worst news website I've ever seen.

We all know this is coming to many other websites but this is just laughable imho[/QUOTE]

The new website absolutely sucks and is not user friendly at all. Goodbye, Newsday.com.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3324372]lol...has anyone read a Newsday recently? The paper is all ads and the website could be the worst news website I've ever seen.

We all know this is coming to many other websites but this is just laughable imho[/QUOTE]

I go there for Isles articles. Worst newspaer site I've seen hands down. Nothing else is close.

So long Newsday. Way to commit suicide.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Even though I've lived on L.I. most of my life, I long ago gave Newsday the heave-ho. Was never a fan of its editorial content, to put it mildly, so this has zero effect on me.

Hall Of Fame
    Just read post again, they really want $5 a week? I have a feeling they will be reversing this policy when their web hits go down to 10 a day.

All League
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;3324374]The new website absolutely sucks and is not user friendly at all. Goodbye, Newsday.com.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, it is AWFUL. I won't miss a thing not going to that site anymore.

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3324377]I go there for Isles articles. Worst newspaer site I've seen hands down. Nothing else is close.

So long Newsday. Way to commit suicide.[/QUOTE]

Plenty of other places to catch Isles news. Adios, Newsday!

Jets Insider VIP
    OBAMA can't fix this????

There is serious talk about government help of newspapers. What a joke.

Without Newsday, who will publish the left agenda?

Phuck newsday. I used to read the online version but it changed recently.

It now SUCKS! It is in fact hard to read, too busy and you can't post comments as easy.

Not to mention the "editing " of conservative positions.

I hope that Newsday and the Charlotte observer die a death of pure economics.... NO DEMANDof inferior, biased product.

More great moves by Cablevision. The print version is going up to $1 a day too.

This will finally finish off Newsday.
    Last edited by Jman21; 10-22-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[/QUOTE]

Unbelievable. Its a liberal rag to begin with and the website does suck.

If you enjoy reading stories about brutal assaults, rapes and robberies, in your own community, that end with the words "the suspect was described as a male":rolleyes:, by all means, buck up 5 sheckles.

I understand how these media organizations have been gutted financially by the proliferation of available news in the tubes, but Newsday?

Please. lolz

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=32green;3324451]Unbelievable. Its a liberal rag to begin with and the website does suck.

If you enjoy reading stories about brutal assaults, rapes and robberies, in your own community, that end with the words "the suspect was described as a male":rolleyes:, by all means, buck up 5 sheckles.

I understand how these media organizations have been gutted financially by the proliferation of available news in the tubes, but Newsday?

Please. lolz[/QUOTE]

About 3 -4 years ago I was in traffic, 2 blocks from the scene in Atlanta when the "Male suspect*" ripped the gun from the court officer and shot the judge, baliff etc...

I am pissed to THIS day, that the press is afraid to identify an Asian man as ASIAN, White as White, Black as black etc...

So, knowing this "Male shooter" was within 300 yards of me I have to what .... look at EVERY male when ONE WORD would have given me the picture I needed to further protect me and anyone with me.

nuts! screw newsday!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=32green;3324451]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah we got that up here too. If they don't describe the guy we know he was black so what's the point. Last week the local paper described a robber as a male with "kinky' hair. I'm guessing he was black or some Jew from the 70's found a time machine:D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3324476] Last week the local paper described a robber as a male with "kinky' hair. [/QUOTE]

Ray Davies?

:eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3324476]Yeah we got that up here too. If they don't describe the guy we know he was black so what's the point. Last week the local paper described a robber as a male with "kinky' hair. I'm guessing he was black or some Jew from the 70's found a time machine:D[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="5"][B]FF2 - TIMMY SAID JEW![/B][/SIZE]

They better improve that website, it's the worst I have seen of an paper/sports related website.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3324427]OBAMA can't fix this????

There is serious talk about government help of newspapers. What a joke.

Without Newsday, who will publish the left agenda?

Phuck newsday. I used to read the online version but it changed recently.

It now SUCKS! It is in fact hard to read, too busy and you [B]can't post comments as easy[/B].[/QUOTE]

The comment sections on the articles on the old site were hilarious. Comedy gold. Of course there was the Newsday edit, a gang shooting in Hempstead, comments were disabled. A mortgage broker indicted, comments enabled.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3324459]32

About 3 -4 years ago I was in traffic, 2 blocks from the scene in Atlanta when the "Male suspect*" ripped the gun from the court officer and shot the judge, baliff etc...

I am pissed to THIS day, that the press is afraid to identify an Asian man as ASIAN, White as White, Black as black etc...

So, knowing this "Male shooter" was within 300 yards of me I have to what .... look at EVERY male when ONE WORD would have given me the picture I needed to further protect me and anyone with me.

nuts! screw newsday![/QUOTE]

Ummm... So if they had said Black, Latino, or White, but given no description otherwise... In fact, a better one word descriptor would be tall, short, fat, skinny, than black, white, or latino.

I suppose.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3324561]Ummm... So if they had said Black, Latino, or White, but given no description otherwise... In fact, a better one word descriptor would be tall, short, fat, skinny, than black, white, or latino.

I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Lets not be silly here....

How about a complete description?

M/w 6 ft plus, 40's, thin build, brown hair, mustache, green jacket, blue pants

Not "a male"

:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3324561]Ummm... So if they had said Black, Latino, or White, but given no description otherwise... In fact, a better one word descriptor would be tall, short, fat, skinny, than black, white, or latino.

I suppose.[/QUOTE]

In this case, tall black male .... medium build.

SIMPLE!

What 's the problem?

The Dolans own Newsday. Nothing else needs to be said.