Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would You Trade Kris Jenkins for Shaun Rogers this off-season?

Banned

Would You Trade Kris Jenkins for Shaun Rogers this off-season?

I'm a huge Kris Jenkins fan and as a Jets fan I haven't seen a more dominating defensive player wearing my team's uniform since - I don't even know. However, Jenkins does have an ACL tear and I really don't think he'll be as dominant ever again. He will not have the same stability in his knee ever again which will obviously reduce his explosiveness off the line. Plus he's had other injury problems.

Shaun Rogers is one of the few players in the league who I think would be an adequate replacement. Mangini is dead set on getting "his guys" and probably considers Jenkins his guy and he tried to trade Rogers last off-season. I think he'd definitely bite on that trade offer.

And before people start screaming that we need to draft D-line in April here's two things to also consider 1) NT isn't the only D-line position we need an upgrade and 2) 2 recent 1st round picks used on defense were horrific busts (D-Rob and Gholston).

Not opposed to drafting D-line but to think one first round pick will solve all our problems on what is now the weakest part of our team is not realistic.

No Shaun Rogers is lazy. A 50% Kris Jenkins is still greater than a lazy Shaun Rogers.

it never stops

I'm just curious .........WHY don't you think, with today's medicine, why Kris won't be dominant again? He's not a speed guy, he's a grinder, a run stuffer .......:huh:

Veteran
    acl tears are not a big deal anymore. It is such a common injury and guys come back from it all the time, lots of times better and faster.

I think you are thinking about the guys with multiple ligament tears at one time. Those guys have had problems returning the following season and being the same.

ACL is a non issue. It has been reported that there was no other damage so I dont think we have much to worry about.

Also like stated above he doesnt play a skill position so planting and cutting wont be a big concern.

Draft a future replacement the first day in the draft and be done with it

All League
    This is Kris' second ACL tear. Did he look dominant to you after his first one? I think he'll be just fine. :yes:

1. Jenkins is better when healthy.

2. It's plausible, I guess. I don't really like Rogers though, but I also didn't like Jenkins when we got him.

3. If we let the drafting of DRob (a good player with arthritic knees before he was even 25) and Gholston (a 23 year old 2nd year player who played DE in college) affect our decision to draft DL then we really are SOJ.

4. Oghobaase and Taylor in 2010!!
    Last edited by Chica me Tipo; 10-24-2009 at 12:18 PM.

[QUOTE=jets31;3326432]acl tears are not a big deal anymore. It is such a common injury and guys come back from it all the time, [B]lots of times better and faster.[/B][/QUOTE]

Ummmm, what :hmm:

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3326421]No Shaun Rogers is lazy. A 50% Kris Jenkins is still greater than a lazy Shaun Rogers.[/QUOTE]

+ 1

Veteran
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;3326447]Ummmm, what :hmm:[/QUOTE]

yes, these guys have the entire season as well as off season to rehab and train. There main focus is to get ready for the next season. Because of this many times the knee comes back stronger then before.

I would have him alongside at Jenkins at DE. That would be a nice upgrade

[QUOTE=jets31;3326452]yes, these guys have the entire season as well as off season to rehab and train. There main focus is to get ready for the next season. Because of this many times the knee comes back stronger then before.[/QUOTE]

You have no clue what you're talking about :nono:

How about Jenkins AND Rogers in the middle? :eek::yes::D

Veteran
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;3326460]You have no clue what you're talking about :nono:[/QUOTE]

actually i do. if you are so smart then prove me wrong.

ACL injuries, especially when there are no other ligaments involved, are not that difficult for players to come back from anymore, not with today's medical technology, and Jenkins isn't a skill position player who needs his legs and speed or agility, he is a DT/NT who mauls people, he will be fine.

I believe it was Ronnie Brown who claimed to feel stronger after ACL surgery...however Brown is/was a lot younger than 30 and not 350 lbs. This is seriously not a career ending injury unless Jenkins wants it to be. He would also not be 100% next year but probably completely healed for 2011 (if he was still interested at the age of 32). As far as NTs go, they can last longer than a skilled player. Jason Ferguson is having a very good year for the Dolphins at 34 for example...

The NY Daily News confirms that Jets NT Kris Jenkins has a torn ACL. He was placed on injured reserve, ending his season.

The injury will require reconstructive surgery. The 30-year-old is still certain to return to the Jets in 2010 with an affordable $2.25 million salary. Jenkins had [B]a "clean" tear [/B]of the anterior cruciate ligament, which should help his healing process. [B]The MCL and PCL were not damaged[/B], and he is [B]expected to participate in the offseason conditioning program next March. [/B]

3 Very important notes bolded above...

Veteran
    [QUOTE=HessStation;3326484]The NY Daily News confirms that Jets NT Kris Jenkins has a torn ACL. He was placed on injured reserve, ending his season.

The injury will require reconstructive surgery. The 30-year-old is still certain to return to the Jets in 2010 with an affordable $2.25 million salary. Jenkins had [B]a "clean" tear [/B]of the anterior cruciate ligament, which should help his healing process. [B]The MCL and PCL were not damaged[/B], and he is [B]expected to participate in the offseason conditioning program next March. [/B]

3 Very important notes bolded above...[/QUOTE]

exactly, he will be fine. There is no real reason to believe his ability will decline for the exception of age. But at 32 he would be still young enough to perform well. Either way we need to find a backup or future replacement

Just a fyi below. Two things to note.

After his first injury with the Panthers Jenkins was still walking, actually went back out to play and didn't feel it was that bad. Similar to how we saw him walk off the field last week...

He was 3-4 years younger here but hopefully he doesn't go throught the same depression and stays in shape and healthy through his rehab....

Panthers Pro Bowl DT Jenkins has torn ACL
    CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Kris Jenkins was poised to regain his status as the best defensive tackle in the NFL this season. Instead, the cog of the Carolina Panthers' line will miss his second straight year due to injury.

Jenkins, a 2003 All-Pro, tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during Carolina's loss to the New Orleans Saints. [B]Although he was injured in the first quarter, he said Monday he didn't realize the severity and briefly returned to the field in the third quarter before leaving for good.[/B]

[B]"I didn't think it was that bad ... it felt like I had hyperextended it at first," he said. "I could still run on the thing. I know that's a little odd.[/B]
    "When I went back out there, I realized then I had torn something big."

The two-time Pro Bowler missed 12 games last season with a shoulder injury, but declared himself fit last week and ready to return as the NFL's top defensive tackle.

So when he first left Sunday's game with the knee injury, he was determined to get back on the field. It was similar to last season, when Jenkins hurt his shoulder but played two more games before finally submitting to season-ending surgery.

"If I felt I've got a shot at playing, then I'm going to do that," he said. "If I felt I could play, if I could still help give my team a shot, then I'm going to be out there."

Jenkins, who was taken in and out of Bank of America Stadium on a golf cart, insisted on standing as he talked with reporters Monday. Midway through, he took a deep sigh and sat down in the cart, relieving all pressure on his heavily wrapped right leg.

This is the third season-ending injury for the Panthers, who were devastated last year with more than 12 players going down with such injuries. Jenkins joins safety Colin Branch (torn ACL) and rookie running back Eric Shelton (broken foot) on the injured list.

But the loss of Jenkins is the most significant and will carry heavy consequences for a defensive line regarded as one of the NFL's best. With Jenkins out, teams can now increase their coverage on All-Pro end Julius Peppers. It also leaves aging veteran Brentson Buckner vulnerable on run defense because he's not the stopper that Jenkins is.

Kindal Moorehead replaced Jenkins most of last season, but was inactive for Sunday's 23-20 loss to the Saints. When Jenkins was injured in the first quarter, the Panthers only had second-year player Jordan Carstens to fill in. Backup defensive end Al Wallace was sporadically used inside and admitted to being overmatched.

Aside from replacing Jenkins on the field, the Panthers must also work hard to prevent him from feeling disconnected with the team.

[B]Jenkins admitted to struggling with depression last season while he was injured. He hit a low point after the Oakland Raiders beat the Panthers in Carolina and Jenkins watched Warren Sapp, his bitter rival, celebrate on the field.[/B]
    [B]Jenkins has said that moment sent him into a downward spiral and he began drinking too much. When he was finally cleared to play again, he was overweight and had to work hard this spring to get back into shape.[/B]Carolina coach John Fox said the team would work with Jenkins to prevent that from happening again.

"It is a long process and something we are going to have to help him with," Fox said. "I don't think there has ever been a player who has had an injury who hasn't struggled with it emotionally.

"It's something these guys work hard to do and not being a part of it is hard. I don't know many that have eased through it."

Panthers defensive end Mike Rucker said the team will do its part to support Jenkins.

"We'll still be messing with him in the training room," Rucker said. "We need to keep [him] feeling connected."

The Panthers have offered Jenkins a support system and use of a counselor, but he so far plans to attack his emotions on his own. Jenkins said he learned from his bad experiences last season and won't repeat his mistakes.

"Last year was different. Last year was the first time I had to go through all of that," he said. "I didn't know what it was going to be like not playing. I'm not going to sit here and act like it's going to be a nice time, sitting on the sideline and not being able to do anything.

[B]"But my career is not over."[/B]