Thread: McGwire new Cardinals hitting coach

McGwire new Cardinals hitting coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4593412

You've got to be kidding. LaRussa has lost his mind. This will be a PR nightmare.

It'll be bad press for one week or until McGwire talks to the media, whichever is later.

But really, I'm glad to see him back in the game. Even if he did roids, it shouldn't be a lifetime ban.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    It'll be bad press for one week or until McGwire talks to the media, whichever is later.

But really, I'm glad to see him back in the game. Even if he did roids, it shouldn't be a lifetime ban.
    +1.
    I hate that Maris' 61 is no longer the standard but McGwire is a decent guy, loved in StL & should be back in the game.
    I agree. Tell the truth, get it over with and get back to baseball.
    Now, as far as Maris' record.......

All Pro
    Mac should be back in baseball. He didn't do anything 300 players weren't doing.

But what does he know about hitting? Before he MASSIVELY roided up, he was barely hitting 200.

Veteran
    Since when does TLR care about PR?

Also, it's good to see McGwire has a chance to rehab his reputation. He doesn't deserve to be blacklisted.

Veteran
    Exactly. He's no worse than A-Roid, Big Juicy, etc. It just so happened that he came before those guys and took more heat. They're no better. In fact, they're worse for lying about it. McGwire was smart for keeping his mouth shut.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Mac should be back in baseball. He didn't do anything 300 players weren't doing.

But what does he know about hitting? Before he MASSIVELY roided up, he was barely hitting 200.
    Supposedly he has been training some hitters the last few off-seasons. Matt Holiday is one I heard.

All League
    He was a lifetime .260 hitter...this is the guy they will take advice from?

Without the roids he would have been a nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Sharrow View Post
    Exactly. He's no worse than A-Roid, Big Juicy, etc. It just so happened that he came before those guys and took more heat. They're no better. In fact, they're worse for lying about it. McGwire was smart for keeping his mouth shut.
    Are you kidding? McGwire lied about it for years until he was under oath. What he did before congress was gutless

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Miano View Post
    Are you kidding? McGwire lied about it for years until he was under oath. What he did before congress was gutless
    haha exactly. these people know nothing more about baseball "yankees suck!" .. you guys really think mcguire didn't lie about steroids?

Quote Originally Posted by Icer View Post
    He was a lifetime .260 hitter...this is the guy they will take advice from?

Without the roids he would have been a nobody
    You might want to check out most of the batting coaches in the league, they're not much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gholstons Revenge View Post
    haha exactly. these people know nothing more about baseball "yankees suck!" .. you guys really think mcguire didn't lie about steroids?
    LMAO nice you threw a Yankee suck in the middle of your useless comment

Jets Insider VIP
    Forget about the PR issue, this is a bad BASEBALL move by the Cards IMO.

McGwire sucked as a hitter. No, seriously. He was never a student of hitting. He batted .200 for a season once before he found HGH. Even when he hit all those homers his batting average was awful.

Dave Kingman was never a hitting coach because everyone knew all he could do was hit homers.

What use will McGwire be to some of the punching-judy hitters the Cards have?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BronxDan View Post
    You might want to check out most of the batting coaches in the league, they're not much better.
    It's not "average" that's the sole issue, it's the type of hitter which is.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Forget about the PR issue, this is a bad BASEBALL move by the Cards IMO.

McGwire sucked as a hitter. No, seriously. He was never a student of hitting. He batted .200 for a season once before he found HGH. Even when he hit all those homers his batting average was awful.

Dave Kingman was never a hitting coach because everyone knew all he could do was hit homers.

What use will McGwire be to some of the punching-judy hitters the Cards have?
    I'm not familiar with this expression.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    It's not "average" that's the sole issue, it's the type of hitter which is.
    A lot of hitters have consulted with McGwire over the years, with various hitting types. Many of them saw improvement across the board. Just because Mac was a certain type of hitter doesn't mean he doesn't know about other types of hitting.

I thought about that too SMC, but apparently people like Skip Schumaker and Matt Holliday have worked with him in the offseason and swear by him, and they're both career .300 hitters. So who knows....

All League
    Great move by the Cards. McGwire knows the best HGH sources.

Veteran
    http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...1?OpenDocument

Schumaker heavily endorses McGwire
    By Derrick Goold
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/27/2009

At the urging of manager Tony La Russa, Cardinals leadoff hitter Skip Schumaker accepted an invitation several years ago for a private workout with Mark McGwire. As Schumaker drove toward the first lesson, he was nervous.

McGwire was his hero, his favorite ballplayer growing up. He collected McGwire baseball cards, for goodness sake.

But McGwire also was ... a slugger.

"I didn't know how this was going to work. He's a 6-foot-5, 220-something-pound man, and I'm just a little leadoff hitter," Schumaker recalled Monday. "But hitting is hitting. There's a good hitting position for everyone. That was one of the things he stressed. I didn't know what to expect, and here it has turned into this relationship that has really helped my career."

Since that first meeting, Schumaker has spent each offseason in the cages with McGwire, becoming, in many ways, the former Cardinals star pupil. Schumaker has yet to hit less than .300 in any season since joining McGwire. And he, more than anyone else, knows what the Cardinals can expect from their new hitting coach.

La Russa announced Monday that McGwire is emerging from years of invitation-only instruction to wear No. 25 again and serve as the Cardinals' hitting coach for 2010. A career .263 hitter with an elite .394 career on-base percentage, McGwire brings what La Russa and others have called a "simplified" and "accessible" approach to hitting.

But all of his experience is as a tutor, not a coach. He'll be learning to do that at the big-league level. La Russa acknowledged that he's accepting on faith that McGwire's private instruction will translate to very public expectations.

"When I was talking to Mark, he asked a couple of things that were really impressive to me," La Russa said. "He said, 'I've got to think about the stuff that is in my head, how can I express it?' Coaches learn there is an art to it. It's not a science. What I've learned over time is if you have something that you can share that is positive and helpful, that gets the player's attention if you're doing it to help them.

"Mark, partly (because) of his shyness, is going to be there for the player," La Russa concluded. "Both of those things: expertise and the attitude 'I'm here to help you.' That goes a long way with coaching."

The Cardinals are a season removed from winning a team batting title with a .281 average in 2008. This year the team's average dipped to .263, but more telling was a spike in strikeouts and a drop in on-base percentage. Blending the aggressive approach La Russa prefers with better strike-zone judgment figures to be a focus this coming spring.

La Russa said McGwire's philosophy doesn't vary from familiar themes. It's how he conveys it that differs.

"He's got a basic A-B-C approach that really works," La Russa said. "When he talks about how you concentrate and handle pressure, it's classic good stuff and our hitters will benefit."

Schumaker got a sense of that on Day 1.

The second baseman's first session with McGwire lasted three hours. McGwire watched him swing for about a half-hour, and then came the suggestions.

He wanted Schumaker to widen his stance and raise his hands from in front of his chest to above his shoulder. In the workouts that followed, McGwire stressed that Schumaker find his "trigger" because, Schumaker said, "everybody has a trigger that makes them go."

For Schumaker, it was his top hand that ignited his swing.

For Chris Duncan, another McGwire pupil, it was his front shoulder.

"He tries to find that trigger for every hitter he works with, whatever the trigger is," Schumaker said. "And he's relentless with his work. He goes until you're tired. He'll be there all day long if you need him, and he doesn't leave until he knows you're ready."

McGwire didn't leave the lessons to the winter, either. He and Schumaker would talk during the season, and McGwire would fire him a text message if he saw the hands sag or Schumaker's feet shift.

Matt Holliday, who also worked with McGwire, has exchanged text messages about hitting for several seasons with the slugger. Schumaker said McGwire e-mailed him a video clip of his ideal swing to use as a reference point.

Before working with McGwire, Schumaker said he watched video of pitchers for what pitches they throw. He now watches video to chart what pitches they throw at what counts and from what arm angles.

Similar descriptions of McGwire sprout from the other major-leaguers he's worked with. Holliday dropped his leg-kick briefly, at McGwire's prompting, for better balance. Oakland shortstop Bobby Crosby told the San Francisco Chronicle that he widened his stance after working with McGwire, and Colorado third baseman Garrett Atkins on Monday called McGwire a "hard worker."

Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak said McGwire is "not a one size fits all" coach.

The big guy gets a new student in a few weeks: Brendan Ryan.

The Cardinals shortstop is going with Schumaker for this winter's workouts. Shortly before Thanksgiving, Schumaker will begin working with McGwire in Orange County, Calif., three days a week.

Ryan will drive in from Los Angeles twice a week for instruction. McGwire's first act as Cardinals hitting coach could be finding Ryan's trigger.

Come February he'll see if he can trigger a whole roster of hitters.

McGwire already told Albert Pujols what he'll do if he finds his new students slow to grasp suggestions.

"Just being around him and talking to him, he's got a way to present that whole package that guys have been with him have really liked," La Russa said. "He told Albert, 'If too many guys aren't getting it, I'll get in the cage and show you.'"