Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

NEW YORK YANKEES
    VS.
    PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

GAME 2

Thursday, Oct. 29, 7:57 p.m. @ Yankee Stadium

...............vs................

A.J. BURNETT.................................PEDRO MARTINEZ

Regular: (13-9, 4.04 ERA).................................Regular: (5-1, 3.63 ERA)

Post: (0-0, 4.42 ERA) .................................Post: (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
    Lol at the Met hat on Pedro.

Nice touch!

Lets get this game won and done.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH View Post
    he was so so good last night it is hard for me to get too mad or worried about last night

historic performance, whatever, tip your cap and win tonight!!
    Agreed.

Can't wait to hear the crowd scream "WHOOSE YOUR DADDY" to Pedro tonight.

Jets Insider VIP
    WAKE UP, YANKEE OFFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    WAKE UP, YANKEE OFFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    if they cant destroy Pedro they are in real trouble

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    if they cant destroy Pedro they are in real trouble
    Absolutely.

Pedro is 0-1 with an ERA near 7.00 in his last 2 playoff starts at Yankee Stadium and that was with Pedro in HIS PRIME.

when I watch the yankees, I see 20 (or however many) individuals, all of whom are INCREDIBLE baseball talents... as individuals. I see guys getting down on other guys... playing better when less is on the line (jeter and posada obviously are the exceptions)

when I watch the phillies, I see a team... guys that are playing the game and having fun... don't shy away from pressure... and maybe even more important believe in their teammates... knowing what their teammates are going to do before they do it (for example victorino's bunt move on 3-0 when rollins stole a base)

in the end i see Phillies in 6, a good team beats good individuals everytime.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    when I watch the yankees, I see 20 (or however many) individuals, all of whom are INCREDIBLE baseball talents... as individuals. I see guys getting down on other guys... playing better when less is on the line (jeter and posada obviously are the exceptions)

when I watch the phillies, I see a team... guys that are playing the game and having fun... don't shy away from pressure... and maybe even more important believe in their teammates... knowing what their teammates are going to do before they do it (for example victorino's bunt move on 3-0 when rollins stole a base)

I guess you have not been watching too many games this year. This team is looser than it has been in years. There seems to be some real chemistry on this team. Even Jeter and Alex seem to be friends again.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

So good individuals won 103 games and got through two rounds of the playoffs against tough teams and into the World series by sheer luck then?

Maybe the Yanks didnt "have fun" last night because they were facing a guy having a career night. I've seen them have more than a little fun during the season and playoffs...

The Yanks could have all been handcuffed to eachother and they wouldnt have hit off that guy. Give credit where its due.

To one guy; Lee.

Lets not read too much into one game.

All League

HUH????
    I assume you have watched this team all year? That is the polar opposite of how it is.
    This may be the closest NYY team since the glory days.
    Last night, they got beat by a guy who would have shut down the '27 Yankees. Lee was deadly.
    A good part of the lineup is struggling.
    One thing that is NOT an issue is the team chemistry.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Woodall Rocks! View Post
    HUH????
    I assume you have watched this team all year? That is the polar opposite of how it is.
    This may be the closest NYY team since the glory days.
    Last night, they got beat by a guy who would have shut down the '27 Yankees. Lee was deadly.
    A good part of the lineup is struggling.
    One thing that is NOT an issue is the team chemistry.
    bad assumption as evidenced by his post

"looser than they have been in years" is not the same as "a team"

they might be friendlier but they aren't a close team, JMO. I have no actual proof just watching their body language. Maybe they were cold last night maybe they were pissed to be losing, but they looked unhappy and an unhappy team doesn't usually play great.

FWIW I watch alot of baseball and even tho live in Philly am not a huge fan of any particular team... I live and breathe Jets but baseball Im pretty agnostic...

just calling it like i see it

by the way all those who hate Nick Swisher should check his home/away splits, the guy is a beast on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    So good individuals won 103 games and got through two rounds of the playoffs against tough teams and into the World series by sheer luck then?
    not luck... far from luck... they are all amazing talents. Arod is a once in a generation type of player. Tex is a beast. Jeter might be the clutchest player in the modern era. CC had a great regular season. Don't get me wrong the Yankees are supremely talented squad.

I just question how loyal they are to each other as a team. when Arod strikes out does the team collectively think/say "dont worry Arod you'll get em next time" or do they actually start to worry. I think it's the latter. I could be wrong.

All Pro
    stole this from another site but I think this might make a good argument for starting J.Hair instead of Swish

Hairston vs. Pedro:

31 PAs: 10 Hits (2 2Bs, 1 3B) 3 BBs 6 Ks: .370 / .433 / .519 / .952 OPS

what say you?

edit: never checked if these stats are accurate so take it for what it is
    Last edited by LI2OH; 10-29-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    not luck... far from luck... they are all amazing talents. Arod is a once in a generation type of player. Tex is a beast. Jeter might be the clutchest player in the modern era. CC had a great regular season. Don't get me wrong the Yankees are supremely talented squad.

I just question how loyal they are to each other as a team. when Arod strikes out does the team collectively think/say "dont worry Arod you'll get em next time" or do they actually start to worry. I think it's the latter. I could be wrong.
    You are.

Your theory holds no water. Trust the guys on here that probably catch close to 100 games a year. Even if true, it wouldn't have been remotely close to why they lost last night.

They got beaten by a dominant pitching performance. End of story.

I like Swisher but if anyone needs to sit a game to clear his head its him...

Go with Hairston in RF tonight...

Hairston hits Pedro and he can't possibly be any worse than Swisher is right now...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    You are.

Your theory holds no water. Trust the guys on here that probably catch close to 100 games a year. Even if true, it wouldn't have been remotely close to why they lost last night.

They got beaten by a dominant pitching performance. End of story.
    don't argue too much..this is the stock answer for the last 5-8 years for those who don't watch (or like) the Yankees

when they are unsuccessful you'll hear:

bunch of overpayed stars
    they are not a team
    they don't like each other
    blah blah blah

anyone who saw any game this year (besides last night and what team would be jumping up and down smiling when the opposing pitcher was that dominant) would know that is not the case
    Last edited by LI2OH; 10-29-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH View Post
    don't argue too much..this is the stock answer for the last 5-8 years for those who don't watch (or like) the Yankees when they are unsuccessful

bunch of overpayed stars
    they are not a team
    they don't like each other
    blah blah blah

anyone who saw any game this year (besides last night and what team would be jumping up and down smiling when the opposing pitcher was that dominant) would know that is not the case
    Just have to watch any of the walk-off win celebrations this year. This is a close knit group of guys. It's clear the way they pick each other up, support each other in the dugout, even from their locker room interviews. They all have a common goal and they're going to go after it together. It in fact is one of the strengths of this team.

I don't think if there was any huggin' and lovin' last night that they were going to get any more hits off of Lee than they did.

Pedro vs the Yanks

11-11, 3.20 ERA in the regular season
    1-2, 4.72 ERA in the playoffs

Who's Your Daddy? Who's Your Daddy? Who's Your Daddy? Who's Your Daddy?

All Pro
    Girardi just announced the lineup on WFAN

I couldn't get the whole lineup but it is basicially the same EXCEPT:

-Swisher out

-J.Hair in

about f'in time IMO

edit: Molina's behind the plate. I think Jorge should be playing today...
    Last edited by LI2OH; 10-29-2009 at 03:55 PM.

All Pro
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

YANKEES
    Jeter SS
    Damon LF
    Teixeira 1B
    Rodriguez 3B
    Matsui DH
    Cano 2B
    Hairston RF
    Cabrera CF
    Molina C