Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WORLD SERIES GAME 3 THREAD: YANKEES VS. PHILLIES @ CITIZENS BANK PARK

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation WORLD SERIES GAME 3 THREAD: YANKEES VS. PHILLIES @ CITIZENS BANK PARK

NEW YORK YANKEES
    VS.
    PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

GAME 3

Saturday, Oct. 31, 7:57 p.m. @ Citizens Bank Park

...............vs................

ANDY PETTITTE.................................COLE HAMELS

Regular: (14-8, 4.16 ERA).................................Regular: (10-11, 4.32 ERA)

Post: (2-0, 2.37 ERA) .................................Post: (1-1, 6.75 ERA)
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 10-30-2009 at 12:29 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You gotta like our chances in this game. The ball flies out of LF at Citizens Bank and the lefty Hamels has been shaky all year and post-season. The 3 powerful RH bats in the middle of our lineup (Teixeira, A-Rod, Posada) could do some serious damage. And needless to say I think we're all confident in Pettitte.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    You gotta like our chances in this game. The ball flies out of LF at Citizens Bank and the lefty Hamels has been shaky all year and post-season. The 3 powerful RH bats in the middle of our lineup (Teixeira, A-Rod, Posada) could do some serious damage. And needless to say I think we're all confident in Pettitte.
    I feel really good about our matchups in these next 2 games. I think at the worst we'll be coming back to the Stadium down 3-2, but I like our chances of flipping that around and coming home with a chance to finish out the Phillies at home in Game 6. But, as always, that's why they play the games. In the end, my prediction means just as much as Jimmy Rollins'

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It has been said many times by my JI brethren since last night but AJs performance was HUUUUGE!!
    It really changes the look of the Series. It goes from Andy needing to SAVE the season to Andy TAKING CONTROL of the season.
    I like his chances of doing this.
    Let's all catch our breath, go watch a HS football game tonight & get back at the Phillthies tomorrow night.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yankees win game 3 das it!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    the pitching matchup favors us but they need to start stringing some hits together and score runs that way. they need a game where all the bats break out because you dont want to rely on the pitching all the time escpecially against the philly lineup

also want to give props to AJ. he pitched a hell of a game, did not think he would do that on this big stage. thank you and hope you do it again
    Last edited by sect313; 10-30-2009 at 09:29 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    got this from SI and thought it was interesting:

A key factor that comes into play during the World Series is how the home field advantage plays out with regard to the designated hitter rule. During the regular season, American League teams are built with the DH in mind, and National League teams are built assuming no DH. However, in the World Series (and, now, interleague play) both teams must contend with different rules.

How does the DH, or lack of a DH, factor into this Series? First, let's break down how the teams will likely handle the rule changes. Obviously both offenses will be at an advantage in New York and at a disadvantage in Philadelphia, but does the DH benefit one team more than another?

In the AL, with the DH in play, the Yankees will have Hideki Matsui and his 28 homers and .876 OPS in the lineup. When the Series shifts to Philadelphia, Matsui, who did not play the field in a single game during the 2009 season, will likely get one at-bat per game off the bench. The pitcher will get the rest of the at-bats, with perhaps a Brett Gardner appearance. With the DH in order, Matsui's lineup spot contributes about .13 runs above average per game; without it, the pitcher's spot contributes about .24 runs below average. Overall, having the DH can be expected to increase the Yankees' offensive output by about .37 runs per game.

As for the Phillies, with the DH in play, Philadelphia is putting Ben Francisco in the lineup. Another side benefit of having Francisco in the lineup is that Charlie Manuel can move the weak-fielding Raul Ibanez out of the field and into the DH spot. However, using four-year averages of UZR (an advanced fielding metric called Ultimate Zone Rating) this upgrade amounts to an improvement of just .04 runs. Therefore, assuming Francisco is about a league-average hitter, we can calculate that the DH spot would contribute about .04 runs above average in AL parks. Meanwhile, in the NL parks, the pitcher's spot would contribute about .28 runs below average. Overall, having the DH can be expected to increase the Phillies' offensive output by about .32 runs per game.

What does this all mean? While the Yankees, with Matsui, benefit from the DH more than the Phillies do, the difference is just .05 runs per game. In other words, the difference is fairly small and shouldn't play a huge factor in the Series overall.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/ml...st-the-yankees

If this is the case I like our chances even more

anyone dispute this?
    Last edited by LI2OH; 10-30-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quality at-bats

Drive the ball.

That's all I ask.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you play Matsui in RF?

I would because we need his bat and he kills lefties...

I know he's got bad knees but Matsui's OF play won't lose you this game...He's a decent OF and his arm is about as good as Swishers...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matsui is a zombie at this point, you can't put him into the field. You use him to PH and hope it won't matter too much.

But this is why the possibility of letting Molina catch AJ in Philly is really really scary.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post

I know he's got bad knees but Matsui's OF play won't lose you this game...He's a decent OF and his arm is about as good as Swishers...
    What's the whole OF going to look like???

Matsui is a real tough call, but I'm almost convinced you have to play him, he's having solid at-bats.

Do we put Swish back in? Damon in left.. Melky in center?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctomjetsfan View Post

he has not played there all year so i dont think you can put him out there. plus he has only played a few games in right in his carreer so thats another minus

with hammels pitching Swish is put back in the lineup.

Posada will be playing all games in Philly (Pettite, CC and Gaudin) so Matsui will be a pinch hitter the whole time in Philly. only way burnett pitches in philly if yanks lose games 3 and 4

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post

Matsui is a real tough call, but I'm almost convinced you have to play him, he's having solid at-bats.

Damon in LF, Melky CF and Matsui in RF

Yea its a scary OF but you have to be crazy to sit Matsui the way this offense is hitting right now...They're not hitting and having the bottom of your order swisher/Melky/Pitcher is not going to make things better...

Girardi has watched him in practice and doesn't have a problem putting Matsui in the OF...

I take the chance with Matsui in RF...

His bat is much more important than Swishers above average defense...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't you have to roll the dice and start Matsui in the outfield.I don't wanna see Swish any more this series he looks lost at the plate

I keep waiting for the bats to wake up

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What about Hinske in RF? He's got some pop and he's been here b4...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post

If you put Matsui in the OF, maybe he gets 1 more hit than Swisher, maybe even 2. But what if 2 more hits drop in because he can't play the OF?

Pitching and defense first. Matsui should sit.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI2OH View Post
    What about Hinske in RF? He's got some pop and he's been here b4...
    wow have you seen that fat slob play? he is by far the worst outfielder i have ever seen. i would 100% rather have hideki in right over hinske

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matsui in left has the chance to catastrophically impact the score. The risk is far worse than losing his bat. He's that bad out there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gholstons Revenge View Post
    wow have you seen that fat slob play? he is by far the worst outfielder i have ever seen. i would 100% rather have hideki in right over hinske
    didn't realize he was so bad..maybe b/c the first game I went to this year was his first with the Yankees and he had that diving catch in RF..I guess I blocked out his field play the rest of the year

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Matsui in left has the chance to catastrophically impact the score. The risk is far worse than losing his bat. He's that bad out there.
    No he's not... We have yet to ever see Matsui play that bad out there. he hasn't gotten a chance at all.

He's not fast but that is no different than having Hinske out there.

I've seen Matsui leg out a couple potential double plays to know that he can really push it if he has to. This is the world series and there is no need to preserve him for the rest of the season anymore.

Matsui is a streaky hitter and right now it looks like he may be on a good streak. He is good enough to carry us to a win or two if he's on that type of streak.