Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manuel chooses Blanton over Lee for Game 4

Manuel chooses Blanton over Lee for Game 4

Rather than go with Cliff Lee on short rest, Charlie Manuel said Friday that Joe Blanton will start Game 4 of the World Series.
    That sets Lee up to pitch Game 5 and rules him out for a possible Game 7. Lee has never started on short rest in his entire career, so perhaps that was never a viable option anyway in Manuel's mind, but letting him throw 122 pitches in Game 1 all but ruled it out. Blanton allowed four runs in six innings against the Dodgers in his only postseason start after going 12-8 with a 4.05 ERA in the regular season.
    In other words, congrats on #27 Yankees.

All Pro
    that is a big move in the Yankees favor

still gotta play

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    In other words, congrats on #27 Yankees.
    yeah i think this is very good news for yanks!! welcome back to the AL Blanton!!

This is mind boggling dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Exactly. They could have gotten 2 more starts out of Lee by pitching him Game 4 and then Game 7. Now, they can only get 1 more start out of Lee. Just a beyond-terrible call on their part.

Even if Lee didn't quite pitch up to Lee's normal level on short rest, he's still far better then Blanton.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    I think he thinks its gonna go the distance...rest my guy, maybe someone else can pick up game 4

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    unless there's rainouts...its suppose to rain manana...

if one of these games gets rained out ,then it pushes him back up to game 4...that gaurantees he pitches game 7...

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    I think he thinks its gonna go the distance...rest my guy, maybe someone else can pick up game 4
    But if it does go 7, then wouldn't he want Cliff Lee, not Cole Hamels starting?

This is a yuge yuge break in the Yanks favor.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by msujetfan 89 View Post

He has to have a good reason, one would think...

Exactly. They could have gotten 2 more starts out of Lee by pitching him Game 4 and then Game 7. Now, they can only get 1 more start out of Lee. Just a beyond-terrible call on their part.

Even if Lee didn't quite pitch up to Lee's normal level on short rest, he's still far better then Blanton.
    I don't think it's that cut and dry. It's not like Lee on 3 days rest (two times in a row if it went 7) is going to be the same pitcher. Well he might, but if you look at the history of guys going on 3 days rest, it's not good at all.

I haven't watched much of Hamels this year, and I do know he's struggled, especially of late, but his peripherals are still good and I'm not sure there's much of a difference playing against Lee on his second straight start on 3 days rest vs. Hamels on normal rest.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I don't think it's that cut and dry. It's not like Lee on 3 days rest (two times in a row if it went 7) is going to be the same pitcher. Well he might, but if you look at the history of guys going on 3 days rest, it's not good at all.
    Cliff Lee on zero days rest would be better then Joe Blanton.... it is that cut and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I haven't watched much of Hamels this year, and I do know he's struggled, especially of late, but his peripherals are still good and I'm not sure there's much of a difference playing against Lee on his second straight start on 3 days rest vs. Hamels on normal rest.
    I'd pitch Hamels Games 3 and 6. He'd be getting 2 starts either way in my plans. I don't think I'd trust Pedro on 3 days rest though so I'd probably start Blanton or Happ for Game 5 though.

Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    if one of these games gets rained out ,then it pushes him back up to game 4...that gaurantees he pitches game 7...
    No it doesn't.It means they would play on the off day meaning he'd have to pitch game 7 on two days rest

Manuel is a stupid backwards hick. This just verified that

Cliff Lee on zero days rest would be better then Joe Blanton.... it is that cut and dry.
    But it's not Cliff Lee vs. Joe Blanton. It's Cliff Lee on 3 days rest twice instead of on normal rest once vs. an extra Hamels start.

As for Blanton, it's Blanton vs. Happ.

I'd pitch Hamels Games 3 and 6. He'd be getting 2 starts either way in my plans. I don't think I'd trust Pedro on 3 days rest though so I'd probably start Blanton or Happ for Game 5 though.
    So you think Lee on 3 days rest twice + Hamels on 3 days rest once is better than an extra Pedro start on normal rest? That's essentially what you are doing, and I'm not sure it would be the wrong move, but I don't think it's necessarily the right move.

And that goes for the Yankees too. It's becoming more obvious that Sabathia will pitch on 3 days rest, and now even Burnett and Pettitte might too, making it 4 straight games with guys on 3 days rest. In theory you would think that would make it so they can't go deep into the games, and we'd have more of a chance of having to use our middle relief/setup guys. This instead of pitching Gaudin just one time and keeping everyone else on normal rest. I'm in the minority, but if we're up 2-1 in the series, I think I'd take my chances with a Gaudin vs. Blanton game.
    Last edited by JeffWeaverFan; 10-31-2009 at 04:52 PM.

I'm not so sure its yuge yuge. Maybe just yuge.

This move really seems idiotic to me and I love it.

I really can't believe Manuel is confident going with Blanton vs. the Yankees ace, with the season essentially on the line. Maybe Cliff Lee would turn out to be ineffective on short rest, but you have to go out there with your best arm. Yanks have an enormous advantage heading into this game.

BTW, here's Blanton's career numbers vs. the Yankees....

4 GS, 0-3, 8.18 ERA. This is all with the A's. I like our chances.