Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WORLD SERIES GAME 4 THREAD: YANKEES VS. PHILLIES @ CITIZENS BANK PARK

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation WORLD SERIES GAME 4 THREAD: YANKEES VS. PHILLIES @ CITIZENS BANK PARK

NEW YORK YANKEES
    VS.
    PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES

GAME 4

Saturday, Oct. 31, 8:20 p.m. @ Citizens Bank Park

...............vs................

CC SABATHIA.................................JOE BLANTON

Regular: (19-8, 3.37 ERA).................................Regular: (12-8, 4.05 ERA)

Post: (3-1, 1.52 ERA) .................................Post: (0-0, 4.66 ERA)
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-01-2009 at 01:22 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this in the other thread, but here's Blanton's career numbers vs. the Yankees while he was a member of the A's...

4 Starts
    0-3
    8.18 ERA

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a huge game for the Yankees. We have a clear advantage, we have to win. I don't want to face Lee 2-2 in Philly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    This is a huge game for the Yankees. We have a clear advantage, we have to win. I don't want to face Lee 2-2 in Philly.
    I respectfully disagree that this is a "must win." Winning game 3 gives the Yankees the luxury of being able to blow this game and still have a decent chance at worst of still winning the World Series. Even if the Yankees were to lose games 4 and 5 they'd still get to see Pedro again in game 6 at Yankee stadium and then have CC ready for a game 7. Now I certainly wouldn't want to see that scenario transpire but it's not like asking the Yankees to beat Pedro Martinez and then win a game with CC on the mound would be an extremely difficult task.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan44 View Post
    I respectfully disagree that this is a "must win." Winning game 3 gives the Yankees the luxury of being able to blow this game and still have a decent chance at worst of still winning the World Series. Even if the Yankees were to lose games 4 and 5 they'd still get to see Pedro again in game 6 at Yankee stadium and then have CC ready for a game 7. Now I certainly wouldn't want to see that scenario transpire but it's not like asking the Yankees to beat Pedro Martinez and then win a game with CC on the mound would be an extremely difficult task.
    Obviously it's not a MUST WIN GAME, but I think it's more important then a normal 2-1 game, because if the Phillies win they not only even up he series, they have Cliff Lee ready for game 5 on normal rest with probably A.J. Burnett on 3 days rest and on the road, I don't like our chances in that game to be honest. We have the clear advantage with CC vs. Blanton. We need to take advantage, and put the boot on the Phillies throat.

This is why we brought in CC, this is why he's the highest paid starting pitching baseball. He has the chance to put us on the doorstep of #27. Go Yankees Baby!
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-01-2009 at 02:35 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Obviously it's not a MUST WIN GAME, but I think it's more important then a normal 2-1 game, because if the Phillies win they not only even up he series, they have Cliff Lee ready for game 5 on normal rest with probably A.J. Burnett on 3 days rest and on the road, I don't like our chances in that game to be honest. We have the clear advantage with CC vs. Blanton. We need to take advantage, and put the boot on the Phillies throat.

This is why we brought in CC, this is why he's the highest paid starting pitching baseball. He has the chance to put us on the doorstep of #27. Go Yankees Baby!
    We are in a great position right now, so a loss tomorrow would really hurt. I guess you can't really label Game 4 with a 2-1 lead a "must win", but it's as close as you can get. Our ace is on the mound going up against a very mediocre pitcher. I still can't believe Manuel is really going to pitch Blanton in this situation, so we need to take this huge advantage, turn it into a win, and take a stranglehold on this series. I don't want any part of Cliff Lee on full rest in Philly in a tied series. So pretty much, I agree with you 100 percent and didn't need to type all of that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a feeling Tex is going to do major damage against Blanton.

The key against Blanton will be attacking him early in the count so he doesnít have a chance to utilize his splitter. This kind of pitcher plays perfectly into the aggressive style of Robinson Cano, but heís been so lost this entire postseason Iíll pass on making any predictions about him. If Cano does breakout in the World Series, though, itíll be in Game 4. Cano is my main man, so itís killing me watching him struggle on this stage. He seems way too pull conscious, completely losing his feel for pitches on the outer half, just gazing at strikes away, constantly falling behind in the count. Really baffling, considering Canoís ability to rack up opposite field knocks. Hopefully he makes the adjustments and flips the script, because like I said, Blanton is perfect for him. Heís only 2-10 against the guy, but thatís a real small sample. I like the match-up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The forecast is supposed to good for this one right?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's hope the bats keep it goin tomorrow

Poasada,Swish (sorry for my comments yesterday Nick) Damon A-rod all got big hits yesterday

Now Cano and Tex need to get goin

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As long as Sabathia doesn't show the effects of pitching on 3 days rest, I like our chances. Honestly I probably would have just pitched Gaudin, given that I feel we have the better team and shouldn't get cute. But, I know I'm in the minority with that and there's a damn good reason why Sabathia should pitch tonight. Lets get this win and take a commanding 3-1 series lead.

By the way, is anyone going to the stadium to watch? I'm leaning towards going but have to wakeup at 4 AM for work on Monday.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Sabathia is on point tonight series is over, grats Yankee fans

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see the offense finally waking up and props to Nick Swisher...I am really happy for him, it was obvious he needed that day off to ease his mind...

Blanton is tailor made for the Yankees, i will be shocked if we don't get at least 6 runs off this guy...Sabathia tonight just needs to do what Pettitte did last night and that's battle...That was one heck of a performance by Pettitte last night...He had absolutely nothing working but his fastball and still got us through 6 innings with a lead...Sabathia had a similar outing in game one, he didn't have his command but battled through 7...Sadly Lee showed up, otherwise we would be up 3-0 right now...Hopefully tonight Sabathia has it and can get us through 7 with a lead...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great comeback win. Swisher definitely needed the day off and took full advantage. He and Gay-Roid turned that game around.

2 More To Go Baby!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I posted this in the other thread, but here's Blanton's career numbers vs. the Yankees while he was a member of the A's...

4 Starts
    0-3
    8.18 ERA
    Me Likey................

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank God for the Yankees.

Let's go up 3-1 tonight baby.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    ***BREAKING NEWS***
    UPDATE, 5:15 p.m.: Girardi just announced that A.J. Burnett will pitch Game 5. Back with more shortly.
    ***BREAKING NEWS***

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    ***BREAKING NEWS***
    UPDATE, 5:15 p.m.: Girardi just announced that A.J. Burnett will pitch Game 5. Back with more shortly.
    ***BREAKING NEWS***
    Not really surprised, it seemed like a done deal yesterday.
    http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/10/31/y...ries-rotation/

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    YANKEES

Derek Jeter SS
    Johnny Damon LF
    Mark Teixeira 1B
    Alex Rodriguez 3B
    Jorge Posada C
    Robinson Cano 2B
    Nick Swisher RF
    Melky Cabrera CF
    CC Sabathia P

PHILLIES

Jimmy Rollins SS
    Shane Victorino CF
    Chase Utley 2B
    Ryan Howard 1B
    Jayson Werth RF
    Raul Ibanez LF
    Pedro Feliz 3B
    Carlos Ruiz C
    Joe Blanton P

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets Go Yankees!! Arod came up big last night to get the Offense started hope he continues 2nite with swish and the rest of the team

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Yankees don't have special teams do they? After this afternoon I need a nice pounding of the Phillies to take some of the stress away.

GO YANKS!