Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: WORLD SERIES GAME 4 THREAD: YANKEES VS. PHILLIES @ CITIZENS BANK PARK

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Another big win!

That Damon steal of 3rd was big-time headsup, and also quite funny, because when I saw Damon run I questioned, "Does the 3d baseman have the ball?" Damon just burned him on the run to the bag. LOL.

Mariano is amazing. His fastball was down to 87 mph and he was still getting guys out.
    I thought Damon though the ball rolled into CF.... I saw Utley catch the ball so I thought Damon made a HUGE bone head mistake. Had no idea no one was covering 3rd. I also thought there was a good chance Damon could of been taged once he started heading to 3rd, Utley was standing right next to him.

All Pro
    Another big win!

That Damon steal of 3rd was big-time headsup, and also quite funny, because when I saw Damon run I questioned, "Does the 3d baseman have the ball?" Damon just burned him on the run to the bag. LOL.

Mariano is amazing. His fastball was down to 87 mph and he was still getting guys out.
    8 pitches. Not too shabby.

Wow, when did Manuel become such a d-bag?

What a great game

Thank you CC for clutch pitching

I don't care that he gave up the HR, Joba looked like the 2007 bullpen version, pull it together pal, you're there.

A-Rod and Damon, wow, clutch hitting

Posada is the worst base runner in the history of baseball

Mo is money

1 more

Thanks for finishing off the day right after a tough Jets loss

Go Yanks!!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    AGREED SMC

Every other closer in this post season has (AL and NL) has blown at least one save

Every other closer has shown you what life is like WITHOUT Mariano Rivera

.... AS HAVE ALL OF OUR SET-UP MEN

So anyone who takes Mariano for granted is clearly NOT paying attention
    Yes. And in contrast, they are going to keep using Lidge to close but you gotta figure that his confidence is shattered.

Lets finish this sh*t baby!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Absolutely.

I was strictly speaking about these first 4 games. I don't know what will happen next, but for the Series THUS FAR, Mariano is the MVP.

I've killed Posada for a long time, but that 2 run single in the 9th was HUGE, because--psychologically--it made the lead insurmountable.

Not playing pop psychologist here, but you could see how deflated the Philly dougout was when they went down 3 runs with the prospects of facing Mo.

If it had been only 1 run with Mariano being tired (as we can tell from his dip in velocity), then I think Philly would have been more up for the bottom of the 9th with their top of the lineup coming to the plate.

Seriously, the Phillies were set up for a comeback in the 9th with their big guys coming up and the crowd was still in it even after they went down a run. But once they were down by 3, the place was dead and all that was left was turning out the lights.

That Posada 2 run single put a dagger through Philly's heart. There was no way possible they could beat Mo after that and I think all the players knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    THAT'S YANKEES BASEBALL!

Nice touch

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Nice touch
    Only cause I hang with the best of em!

Part of me wonders if Girardi should pull the plug on Burnett going tomorrow, and start Gaudin, get him rested up for Game 6, Lee is going to be a tough matchup, then we go CC game 7 with a rested up Pettite who can cover if things go wrong.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm thinking the same thing, Ray Ray.

But I think AJ is fired up to close out the Series. It's kinda tough to tell him that he's getting pushed back after Girardi already told him he was going to start.

All Pro
    please celebrate on their field.

Also I would not start Gaudin, a guy who hasnt been active in a month, just because a loss like this is demoralizing. The Phillies were 3 outs away from Phil Coke in the bottom of the 9th and before you know it baseball jesus is closing the game out.

You step on their throats tomorrow and throw Burnett IMO.

Absolutely.

I was strictly speaking about these first 4 games. I don't know what will happen next, but for the Series THUS FAR, Mariano is the MVP.

I've killed Posada for a long time, but that 2 run single in the 9th was HUGE, because--psychologically--it made the lead insurmountable.

Not playing pop psychologist here, but you could see how deflated the Philly dougout was when they went down 3 runs with the prospects of facing Mo.

If it had been only 1 run with Mariano being tired (as we can tell from his dip in velocity), then I think Philly would have been more up for the bottom of the 9th with their top of the lineup coming to the plate.

Seriously, the Phillies were set up for a comeback in the 9th with their big guys coming up and the crowd was still in it even after they went down a run. But once they were down by 3, the place was dead and all that was left was turning out the lights.

That Posada 2 run single put a dagger through Philly's heart. There was no way possible they could beat Mo after that and I think all the players knew it.
    That's why I picked the Yanks to win this series, regardless of the fact that I'm a Yankee fan. There simply isn't a bigger weapon in the history of postseason baseball. All else being equal, the big difference between the Yankees and every single other team in baseball, lineup aside, is that we have number 42 ready to close out every game.

There's other good closers out there, but Mariano is on such a completely different level it's astonishing. I mean the guy's about to turn 40 years old, has lost a few MPH's, and throws only one pitch. But he is still, even at this stage, better then any other closer that's ever played the game. You can't say that about any other player in history, it'd be ludicrous to say that at the tail end of his career Babe Ruth/Willie Mays/Ted Williams etc. is a better option then Stan Musial/Mickey Mantle/Lou Gehrig in his prime. But with Mariano, the statement is not only plausible, it's close to a no-brainer.

It's absolutely incredible the level this guy performs at year after year after year. When he retires, the loss will be immeasurable. We just have to enjoy the ride.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jvill 51 View Post
    That's why I picked the Yanks to win this series, regardless of the fact that I'm a Yankee fan. There simply isn't a bigger weapon in the history of postseason baseball. All else being equal, the big difference between the Yankees and every single other team in baseball, lineup aside, is that we have number 42 ready to close out every game.

There's other good closers out there, but Mariano is on such a completely different level it's astonishing. I mean the guy's about to turn 40 years old, has lost a few MPH's, and throws only one pitch. But he is still, even at this stage, better then any other closer that's ever played the game. You can't say that about any other player in history, it'd be ludicrous to say that at the tail end of his career Babe Ruth/Willie Mays/Ted Williams etc. is a better option then Stan Musial/Mickey Mantle/Lou Gehrig in his prime. But with Mariano, the statement is not only plausible, it's close to a no-brainer.

It's absolutely incredible the level this guy performs at year after year after year. When he retires, the loss will be immeasurable. We just have to enjoy the ride.
    Well said.

And that's what pissed me off even more about 2005-2008 and the Yankee playoff failure or missing the postseason. I felt they were squandering the best postseason weapon ever.

Girardi has been criticized with his bullpen moves, but I applaud his use of Mariano. Yes, some may say Mo is being overused, but when you have such a weapon you use it and Girardi is using it any chance he gets.

This was an amazing game.

I was guilty of this, but from now on no one can get on A-Rod EVER again.

The Damon steal just proves once again that the Yanks play smart baseball.

Despite the HR, the Joba we all know and love is back.

Jeter, Mo, and Jorge once again come through when it matters. Not much else you can say about these guys.

Tomorrow, I think we should pitch AJ, because as all Yankees fans know, you finish teams out when you get the chance. This was a deflating loss for Philly, and I would think just the psychological edge that AJ would bring could be enough to win this thing.

Go Yankees

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Under no circumstances do I give the Phillies any air to breathe

GO FOR THE KILL!!!!

Wow, what an awesome ending. I never want to here another peep out of any of those A-Rod haters. 1 more win baby!

BTW, agree about the point about Manuel. I couldn't believe that press conference. That was an absolute joke. What an idiot.

All League
    Right now Mo is the favorite for MVP.

He is the only closer this postseason not to blow a game.
    I think I love him

I just want to say what a great job the Yankees did by opening up the stadium last night. I went up there and just expected to watch the game, but the Yankees went above and beyond what was necessary. In between innings they did all of the usual things that happen during a game (trivia questions for a fan, the matching game, etc.), they played "New York, New York" after the game, and overall, they really just made it an enjoyable experience. The Yanks definitely didn't need to do it, and they definitely lose money be doing it, so it was really nice to see them give back to the fans like that.

ONE MORE WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I just want to say what a great job the Yankees did by opening up the stadium last night. I went up there and just expected to watch the game, but the Yankees went above and beyond what was necessary. In between innings they did all of the usual things that happen during a game (trivia questions for a fan, the matching game, etc.), they played "New York, New York" after the game, and overall, they really just made it an enjoyable experience. The Yanks definitely didn't need to do it, and they definitely lose money be doing it, so it was really nice to see them give back to the fans like that.

ONE MORE WIN!
    one question, why didn't they open the stadium on Saturday?