Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone notice the Sanchez jersey in the Yankee clubhouse?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    other teams should spend like the yankees???

now that is the single dumbest thing ever posted here or anywhere.

The Rays, Marlins, Twins, Whitesox, Athletics, Royals, Astros, Brewers, Pirates, Indians, Padres, and about 15 other allegedly competitive Major League Boreball teams can't spend like the Yankee$$ because they, unlike the Yankee$$ don't have a cashcow cable network that provides millions and millions in local revenue.

Unlike real sports like the NFL, Seligball has no provisions for teams to share TV revenue of any kind. Thus, the richkids like the Yankee$, Met$, Dodger$, Red Sox, Angel$, Phillie$, Braves and a few others with major market local TV revenues and/or wholly owned TV network cashcows have hundreds of millions for payroll and buying superstars to play every position and the rest of the Washington General Stooge Teams listed above are forced to play with payrolls lower than Gayrods and have to sell off all their decent players to the fat cats every year at the trading deadline. I'm not singling out the Pinstripers here (although they are the worst by far) --- all of those other fat cats deseve the same scorn from real sports fans

the entire sport is a complete and total joke. Only a hard NFL type salary cap can restore any integrity to this sham

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    those other big spenders are nearly as bad, Scott

but 60 million to 100 million bucks a year for payroll is NOT A HAIR

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Enjoy the championship, but don't delude yourself that the Mets, Red Sox, and Cubs are just "a hair behind the Yankees in spending." $50 Million more in payroll, or $80 million in the case of the Red Sox, is not just a bit more.

The Yankees are in a tier of their own when it comes to spending in baseball. Kudos to ownership for their willingness to spend the money. Nothing worng with that. But don't act like other team are even close in spending. The difference between the payrolls of the Yankees and the Red Sox is roughly the same as the difference between the Red Sox and the Padres, who have the second lowest payroll.

$50 million or $80 million isn't just a hot dog and a beer, it's a couple all stars.
    I'd get into a big discussion, but we Champions don't really need to toy with the likes of you down there in Loserville.

PatsfanTX, help me out here. These Mets fans will never learn.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    You dont have to like it, but it is what it is. Knock yourself out catching up!!
    Actually I don't buy into the whole "buying a championship" deal.

But you know me....I love to correct people.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    those other big spenders are nearly as bad, Scott

but 60 million to 100 million bucks a year for payroll is NOT A HAIR
    A lot of that payroll is tied up on horrible players that aren't even on the roster. Wish I could find the math for payroll for active players as it might shed some light there. But it doesn't matter, does it? The Yankees don't control the rules of the game, they just execute better.

Saying the Yankees should spend less of a percentage of their net income on reinvestment in talent is like saying the Jets shouldn't throw a 10 yard pass on 3rd and 10. Should just run 9 yards and take a knee.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Enjoy the championship, but don't delude yourself that the Mets, Red Sox, and Cubs are just "a hair behind the Yankees in spending." $50 Million more in payroll, or $80 million in the case of the Red Sox, is not just a bit more.

The Yankees are in a tier of their own when it comes to spending in baseball. Kudos to ownership for their willingness to spend the money. Nothing worng with that. But don't act like other team are even close in spending. The difference between the payrolls of the Yankees and the Red Sox is roughly the same as the difference between the Red Sox and the Padres, who have the second lowest payroll.

$50 million or $80 million isn't just a hot dog and a beer, it's a couple all stars.

Exactly. The Yankees spend at least 1/4 more in payroll than any other team in the league. Doesn't mean they are guaranteed anything but to sit there and act like they don't really outspend everyone is just delusional.

The Yanks are the winningest franchise in sports so if you are a fan at least own up to one of their "flaws".

With that being said congrats on the win it was nice seeing Philly go down in a ball of flames.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not the Pinstripers fault at all, Scott

it is the fault of Bud the Moron for allowing such a non-competitive situation to continue year after year after year.

Be glad you don't live in Pittsburgh or Oakland or Kansas City where their supposedly major league franchises have been turned into nothing more than farm teams for the fat cats

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    A lot of that payroll is tied up on horrible players that aren't even on the roster.
    I think thats his point though. The Padres could never toss their mistakes aside...they'd have to trot out those horrible players.

Anyway, thats baseball. Congrats to the Yankees, you still need to do it on the field and they beat a very good Phillies team.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    agreed

Congratulations to the Yankees, Harlem Globetrotters and WWE Champions too.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Actually I don't buy into the whole "buying a championship" deal.

But you know me....I love to correct people.
    lolz

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing you always hear is that the Yankees pay a ton to the league in luxury taxes which is then distributed to other teams.

That's not true. It may have been until a couple of years ago, but it is written into that rule that if a team is reinvesting in a new stadium, they are exempt from the luxury tax up to the amount they reinvested in the stadium. The Yankees haven't paid luxury tax in a couple of years, and won't have to for several more years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    agreed

LOL.

I don't agree but its still funny.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    agreed

LOL. Who knew sg3 had a sense of humor?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not the Pinstripers fault at all, Scott

it is the fault of Bud the Moron for allowing such a non-competitive situation to continue year after year after year.

Be glad you don't live in Pittsburgh or Oakland or Kansas City where their supposedly major league franchises have been turned into nothing more than farm teams for the fat cats
    "Bud the Moron" seems unfair. Some of his policies are his fault. But, what exactly is your solution?

Remember that the baseball players union is, by far, the strongest of all the major sports. Would you be willing to take on another strike/lockout for a season to get the salary cap.

ALSO, with a salary cap comes a salary floor. (I've actually presented this argument before)

The NFL:
    The cap was introduced for the 1994 season and was initially $34.6 million. Both the cap and the floor are adjusted annually based on the league's revenues, and they have increased each year. In 2009, the cap will be $128 million per team , while the floor will be 87.6% of the cap, using the formula provided in the league's collective bargaining agreement, the floor will be $112.1 million; the salary floor percentage will increase 1.2% per year until it reaches 90% of the cap in 2011.
    Let's get ridiculous and make the salary cap at the league average not including the Yankees
    That's $84.4M.

Let's assume (again, this involves the Player's Union folding worse than any union has ever folded ever before, including the NHL in 2005 and the NFL in 1987) that the salary floor would be 75% of that number...

You still have 5 teams that don't even hit that number, and 3 teams that aren't even with $15M of that number.

I'm not really sure what Selig is supposed to do in this situation. Players Union isn't just going to allow teams to contract. And I'm not sure where you move teams to. After all, 2 of the 5 teams on the bottom are already in the major markets of Miami and Washington.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to post what I feel is the perfect response to the Yankee situation.

So I called up my dad today...huge Yankee hater to get his take on things.

He was laughing....told me this. Direct quote

"You have to look at the Yankees through a different prism. This baseball season was the equivalent of a 16 year old bully (the yankees) kicking the ass of a 5 year old (everybody else...or in the phillies case a 7 year old) it's sad. But when the bully takes a tearful victory lap after it ends...it's more pathetic than anything."

That's pretty much it, this whole season and the response by Yankee fans hints at some sort of hidden insecurities or mental disorders that they suffer from. Because who in their right mind can root for Goliath over David? Those that do are bullies, losers, attention whores, guidos, trust fund jerkoffs with a sense of entitlement. You know the type. Today they come together and pretend this "accomplishment" is somehow noteworthy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

Glenn, don't bother with the salary argument and "buying a championship".

The Mets, Red Sox, and Cubs are only a hair behind us in spending. Pot calling kettle black.

SAR I
    can i borrow a hair of money?? nothing major only something in the 50 million dollar range?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed it... but it was hanging in a window, in front of some venetian blinds. Hardly a 'glass case'

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The Mets payroll was $35 million higher than the Phillies this year. How did that work out?

High payrolls give you a better chance to be successful, but are not and never have been a gaurantee to win anything. I think the last 9 years has proven that fact out in terms of the Yankees.

Besides, how do the A's and Twins consistently stay a top their divisions year over year with much smaller payrolls? How about the Rays last season?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find it interesting that some people have failed to grasp the manufactured sensationalism and sarcasm of the original post. Not only that, but this thread turned out to harbor a Yankees inferiority complex. Stunning.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So about that jersey....

Any idea?