Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone notice the Sanchez jersey in the Yankee clubhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    So about that jersey....

Any idea?
    I was just about to post the same...

This thread is a disaster...

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    The Mets payroll was $35 million higher than the Phillies this year. How did that work out?

High payrolls give you a better chance to be successful, but are not and never have been a gaurantee to win anything. I think the last 9 years has proven that fact out in terms of the Yankees.

Besides, how do the A's and Twins consistently stay a top their divisions year over year with much smaller payrolls? How about the Rays last season?

Traitor, you're one of my favorite posters here, but that is completely ridiculous. High payroll does not guarantee a World Series, but it guarantees you a *better roster* every single season. The Yankees will always win 90 games a year. Whether they translate that into a championship is another story. But teams like Florida, Cleveland, et al, have only one option and that is to build through the farm system. They better not make any mistakes AND they better win once those players approach free agency, because once they do, they're gone to the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets, Angels or a few other teams, and you start over - something the Yankees never have to do. Unlike the NFL, where every fan base knows they have a chance every year (as long as you have competent management), half of MLB has little to no shot at the start of every season.

I obviously am no Yankee fan, but I seriously have a hard time understanding how anyone could take satisfaction out of winning the world series when you simply went out and bought three players when no one else could afford two of them, and only a few teams could afford one of them. You already had A-Rod, who makes more than many teams, and it is simply overkill. The Yankees won it, and they won it within the rules, fair and square. But how do you go around celebrating this with a straight face?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Woody must of planted it there to sell more PSL's

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Man! Talk about sour grapes!

CONGRATS YANKEE FANS!!!!!

My only question is, were you really, really surprised? With that all star lineup, I thought it was pretty much in the books once they made it to post season.
    Congratulations are in order. The Yankees know how to win.

SARCASTIC I

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Traitor, you're one of my favorite posters here, but that is completely ridiculous. High payroll does not guarantee a World Series, but it guarantees you a *better roster* every single season. The Yankees will always win 90 games a year. Whether they translate that into a championship is another story. But teams like Florida, Cleveland, et al, have only one option and that is to build through the farm system. They better not make any mistakes AND they better win once those players approach free agency, because once they do, they're gone to the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets, Angels or a few other teams, and you start over - something the Yankees never have to do. Unlike the NFL, where every fan base knows they have a chance every year (as long as you have competent management), half of MLB has little to no shot at the start of every season.

I obviously am no Yankee fan, but I seriously have a hard time understanding how anyone could take satisfaction out of winning the world series when you simply went out and bought three players when no one else could afford two of them, and only a few teams could afford one of them. You already had A-Rod, who makes more than many teams, and it is simply overkill. The Yankees won it, and they won it within the rules, fair and square. But how do you go around celebrating this with a straight face?
    It's rather easy, actually

Undrafted Free Agent

I agree, and this is why a team like the pirates have been so bad for so long. Let's face it if the yankees want someone nothing stands in there way from getting them. Can you imagine what someone like Daniel Snyder would do without a salary cap in Football.
    Last edited by DRNYJETS; 11-05-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

1. The game is played on the field. The rationalization of the economics of the sport are not reflected in the day to day following of the game from Spring to Autumn. Money talk is for the Hot Stove.

2. Emotional connection overrides the economics of baseball. You watch the team. You come to know the players. You build your affinity to the current squad and it reconnects you with you nostalgia of your youth and Yankee teams of the past. They are continuing a tradition and as a fan, you like that. At it's essence, it is why we root for teams and care.

3. This team is easy to root for. As a Yankee fan, I loved the 1996-2000 run because that team was solid mix of home grown talent and key FA acquisitions. In the 2000s, the Yankees lost their way when they truly sought to establish an All-Star roster ( I hated the Randy Johnson/Kevin Brown/Gary Sheffield era). This team is different. Yes they have stars, but they also got roll players and incorporated them with home grown players.

4. I've paid my dues. I suffered through the Stump Merrill, Oscar Azocar, Kevin Mass, Cecilio Guante, Andy Hamwkins. Mike Pagliarulo, Bobby Meacham, Mel Hall, Jesse Barfield, Steve Balboni years. This is better.

5. I'm a Jets fan. Please allow me some counter balance, will ya?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    So about that jersey....

Any idea?
    Sanchez went to the Stadium just like he went to Citi Field. He's gone at least twice (with Rhodes).

The jersey is NOT IN THE VISITOR'S CLUBHOUSE. That's the hallway leading to the clubhouse.

As to the salary disparity discussion.

THERE WILL NEVER BE A SALARY CAP IN BASEBALL.

So the whiners need to get over it.

The reason why? Because the small revenue teams don't want to have to spend to the salary cap floor. With a salary cap there has to be a maximum AND a minimum.

The owners of the As, Pirates, and Twins are getting money through revenue sharing (directly from the Yankees BTW) and pocketting it. They also get to pocket the gate receipts from when the Yanks come to town and boost attendance.

Seriously. The small revenue owners LOVE the Yankees because the Yanks make the owners richer every year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by steve mcqueen View Post
    That's pretty much it, this whole season and the response by Yankee fans hints at some sort of hidden insecurities or mental disorders that they suffer from. Because who in their right mind can root for Goliath over David? Those that do are bullies, losers, attention whores, guidos, trust fund jerkoffs with a sense of entitlement. You know the type. Today they come together and pretend this "accomplishment" is somehow noteworthy.
    I can see this applying to someone who just decided to root for the Yankees this year based upon their off season acquisitions...but there are an enormous amount of Yank fans who suffered with an awful Yankees organization in the 60's..... the 80's....the hidden insecurities and mental disorders do manifest themselves in certain NY baseball fans who shall remain unnamed for they have suffered enough.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I was just about to post the same...

This thread is a disaster...
    Because many Met fans are hypocritical whiners.

A Met fans lacks moral authority to criticise the economic system in baseball when their team has the 2nd highest payroll in the sport AND used this economic system to take the Twins best pitcher in Johan Santana and Astros best hitter in Beltran.

Seriously. If there was a salary cap, Johan Santana and Carlos Beltran would never be a Met.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    other teams should spend like the yankees???

now that is the single dumbest thing ever posted here or anywhere.

The Rays, Marlins, Twins, Whitesox, Athletics, Royals, Astros, Brewers, Pirates, Indians, Padres, and about 15 other allegedly competitive Major League Boreball teams can't spend like the Yankee$$ because they, unlike the Yankee$$ don't have a cashcow cable network that provides millions and millions in local revenue.

Unlike real sports like the NFL, Seligball has no provisions for teams to share TV revenue of any kind. Thus, the richkids like the Yankee$, Met$, Dodger$, Red Sox, Angel$, Phillie$, Braves and a few others with major market local TV revenues and/or wholly owned TV network cashcows have hundreds of millions for payroll and buying superstars to play every position and the rest of the Washington General Stooge Teams listed above are forced to play with payrolls lower than Gayrods and have to sell off all their decent players to the fat cats every year at the trading deadline. I'm not singling out the Pinstripers here (although they are the worst by far) --- all of those other fat cats deseve the same scorn from real sports fans

the entire sport is a complete and total joke. Only a hard NFL type salary cap can restore any integrity to this sham
    I didn't say other should spend like the Yankees and I know most teams can't. What I said since most fans seem to despise the though of outspending everyone else in order to put better team out there, they sure as Hell wouldn't complain if there team was spending the way the Yankees do.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post

5. I'm a Jets fan. Please allow me some counter balance, will ya?
    OK, you have me there. A Jet fan should take whatever sports-related pleasure he or she can. I'm still waiting for mine. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by steve mcqueen View Post
    Just wanted to post what I feel is the perfect response to the Yankee situation.

So I called up my dad today...huge Yankee hater to get his take on things.

He was laughing....told me this. Direct quote

"You have to look at the Yankees through a different prism. This baseball season was the equivalent of a 16 year old bully (the yankees) kicking the ass of a 5 year old (everybody else...or in the phillies case a 7 year old) it's sad. But when the bully takes a tearful victory lap after it ends...it's more pathetic than anything."

That's pretty much it, this whole season and the response by Yankee fans hints at some sort of hidden insecurities or mental disorders that they suffer from. Because who in their right mind can root for Goliath over David? Those that do are bullies, losers, attention whores, guidos, trust fund jerkoffs with a sense of entitlement. You know the type. Today they come together and pretend this "accomplishment" is somehow noteworthy.
    The reason I'm a Yankee fan is because my dad is a Yankee fan.
    As far as your dad's reasoning here, ask him why it took the 16 year old bully the last 9 years to figure out how to "kick the asses" of those 5 year olds.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    It's rather easy, actually

Exactly. I got a World Series Champions cap in the mail. How the Yankees got me that, I don't care.

There is no "better" way to win a Championship. You win or you don't. We win. Sweet.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 11-05-2009 at 12:34 PM.

After a 9 year drought you really need to ask this?
    What I really find funny here is everyone is talking about the money spent on AJ and CC, but Petite who has a very reasonable contract was the rock of the rotation. Petite was also a home grown Yankee from their own farm system.

Everyone points to the evil Yes network $$ as a prime advantage that the Yankees have. OK, let's assume that to be true for today. But it has been an alleged advantage since, when, the early 2000's What happened from 96-00? That was not a direct product of some additional revenue from Yes. It was that success (and another Evil Empire company, Cablevision) that enabled (or forced) them to create their own network.

The Yankees organization, along with a few others, are run by aggressive businessmen that want to succeed, and are willing to put their money and their a$$es on the line to do it. The Yanks were in turmoil in the early 70's when a young, aggressive entrepreneur, The Boss, stepped in, took the risk and turned the team around. He went out and got Catfish. Not the Indians or the Orioles. He went out and got Reggie. Not the Sox, not the Dodgers. He went out and got Winfield (ok, a bad example), not the Mets or the Cubs. He went out and rebuilt the Yankee aura through hard work, trial and error and taking risk. Just like other wildly successful companies.

How many times have free agents agreed to take a little less $ to come here, because they know of the commitments the organization will make for them to succeed? Ask Dallas Mavericks fans about what life was like before Mark Cuban. His money, his passion, his risk...his way.

Stop whining about the Evil Empire and ask your team's owners to grow a set, learn how to manage a business, and put a winning team on the field. If they invest the right way, their teams will have a change to hoist the trophy. It is a gamble.

Do you think Burger King cries foul that McDonald's is more successful because it has more money to spend? Where does that extra money come from? They have what people want, and are ballsy and savvy enough to be the best in their field.

Which reminds me...it is lunch time.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_G View Post
    I didn't say other should spend like the Yankees and I know most teams can't. What I said since most fans seem to despise the though of outspending everyone else in order to put better team out there, they sure as Hell wouldn't complain if there team was spending the way the Yankees do.
    Option #1: Jets go 14-2, win their playoff games by 20 points, win the Super Bowl in dominating 36-3 fashion.

Option #2: Jets go 8-8, sneak in as a wildcard, eek out playoff wins by 1 point each, win the Super Bowl 56-53 at the gun.

Does any Jets fan alive give a rats ass how we win the Super Bowl so long as we win the Super Bowl?

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by DRNYJETS View Post
    I agree, and this is why a team like the pirates have been so bad for so long. Let's face it if the yankees want someone nothing stands in there way from getting them. Can you imagine what someone like Daniel Snyder would do without a salary cap in Football.
    Considering what he has done with it, I wouldn't worry so much.
    I would say Snyder is one of the most destructive forces in the NFL. He seems to buy the best players and when they get checks from him they flat out suck.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_G View Post
    After a 9 year drought you really need to ask this?
    What I really find funny here is everyone is talking about the money spent on AJ and CC, but Petite who has a very reasonable contract was the rock of the rotation. Petite was also a home grown Yankee from their own farm system.

Just bought the t-shirt to match the cap. How do I wind up with the t-shirt? I don't care. I just know I'll be wearing it to sleep tomorrow night and I'll be sleeping very, very well.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I think it's fitting, actually that the billionaire Mayor who just purchased an election on Tuesday will be saluting the billionaire two time convicted felon and his spawn who just purchased a baseball title.

Talk to me about boreball when they have a salary cap that makes their scripted sport competitive
    Mets had the HIGHEST PAYROLL in the NL... What did that get them?

Im tired of hearing when the Yankees loose high payroll gets no title and when they win i hear you bought the title.

Then you have teams with 30M payroll who pocket George revenue sharing money.

Can you just say thanks beating the phils? When the Mets played the sox in 86 i was the biggest mets fan for the time even singing their ghey little "lets go mets" song.