Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead: Yankee Free Agents

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking ahead: Yankee Free Agents

I can't sleep, so lets take a look at the expiring contracts coming off the books.

Johnny Damon- 4 years/$52M (2006-09)
    Hideki Matsui- 4 years/$52M (2006-09)
    Xavier Nady- 1 year/$6.55M (2009)
    Andy Pettitte- 1 year/$5.5M (2009)
    Jose Molina- 2 years/$4M (2008-09)
    Jerry Hairston Jr.- 1 year/$2M (2009)
    Eric Hinske- 1 year/$1.5M (2009)

Chien-Ming Wang- 1 year/$5M (2009) is also an arbitration case. Do you offer him arbitration and pay him $5 million? (keep in mind you can't offer him less than what he made last year) or do you cut him lose and sign him to a deal for less money? I'm not sure what time table he's on, but I assume he wont be ready Opening Day 2010, though I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-05-2009 at 03:43 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I can't sleep, so lets take a look at the expiring contracts coming off the books.

Johnny Damon- 4 years/$52M (2006-09)
    Hideki Matsui- 4 years/$52M (2006-09)
    Xavier Nady- 1 year/$6.55M (2009)
    Andy Pettitte- 1 year/$5.5M (2009)
    Jose Molina- 2 years/$4M (2008-09)
    Jerry Hairston Jr.- 1 year/$2M (2009)
    Eric Hinske- 1 year/$1.5M (2009)

Chien-Ming Wang- 1 year/$5M (2009) is also an arbitration case. Do you offer him arbitration and pay him $5 million? (keep in mind you can't offer him less than what he made last year) or do you cut him lose and sign him to a deal for less money? I'm not sure what time table he's on, but I assume he wont be ready Opening Day 2010, though I could be wrong.
    -I want Damon back, hopefully as a DH as has been discussed here plenty. It will probably come down to if he wants to remain a Yankee. I'm sure he'll have an offer on the table elsewhere for a deal more lengthy than what the Yanks will be willing to give him.

-What a way for Matsui to go out. He pretty much came out of nowhere to grab the MVP. I really don't see him getting re-signed. I wish him all the best as he was a great player for us for the last 7 seasons. I'm happy that he was able to get a WS ring.

-Nady is a goner.

-Pettitte can come back if he wants. If he wants to continue pitching, the Yanks will welcome him back with open arms. Hopefully he decides to return.

-Molina is a goner.

-Hairston is likely a goner, although I wouldn't be opposed to having him back.

-Hinske is a goner.

-Wang will be interesting. I don't really care how they handle it as long as they don't cut him loose altogether. I believe he will eventually return to his old form and be a Yankee for years to come.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    -I want Damon back, hopefully as a DH as has been discussed here plenty. It will probably come down to if he wants to remain a Yankee. I'm sure he'll have an offer on the table elsewhere for a deal more lengthy than what the Yanks will be willing to give him.

-What a way for Matsui to go out. He pretty much came out of nowhere to grab the MVP. I really don't see him getting re-signed. I wish him all the best as he was a great player for us for the last 7 seasons. I'm happy that he was able to get a WS ring.

-Nady is a goner.

-Pettitte can come back if he wants. If he wants to continue pitching, the Yanks will welcome him back with open arms. Hopefully he decides to return.

-Molina is a goner.

-Hairston is likely a goner, although I wouldn't be opposed to having him back.

-Hinske is a goner.

-Wang will be interesting. I don't really care how they handle it as long as they don't cut him loose altogether. I believe he will eventually return to his old form and be a Yankee for years to come.
    Agree on pretty much everything. I love Matsui, the guy is now immortal, but this was your happy send off. I want to start to get younger in the outfield so I don't want to see Damon in LF on Opening Day. I would be fine with him being our every day DH and and get a few starts in the OF here and there. Molina has been great, but time to hand the back up job to Cervelli. I would hope Pettitte would like to sign another 1 year deal, but this time lets not mess around with the money, give him what he wants. He's doing us a favor with these 1 year contracts. I want Wang to be an option for us some time next year, we can't count on him, but at somepoint we are going have injuries, and Wang would be a better call up then Chad Gaudin or Sergio Mitre.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dudes, the team is probably still out celebrating their WORLD SERIES WIN. How can you care about next year right now, regardless of insomnia/boredom...

I know, I hate "that guy" who makes comments like this, but jeez this was a great win...9 year drought.

If the Jets won the SuperBowl, it would be a looong time before we had next year threads here. Lets ride this one out as long as possible, and call out as many haters as we can. Theres a lot of smack to be talked and it can finally be officially backed up!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely resign Petttite. They should have signed him to a 2-3 year deal last off-season but he'll most likely be back anyway. He has a couple years left and is a very effective #3 starter.

Resign Damon to a 1 year deal - nothing more. Go after Crawford or Mauer next year.

Wang looks done. He may be able to revive his career in the national league.

Everyone else is a goner.

Sign Rafael Soriano to be the 8th inning guy next season.

Next season's rotation: CC, AJ, Pettite, Joba, Hughes

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    If Matsui can get his knee cleaned up to the point where he can be an every day DH, I would bring him back ahead of Damon who is really nothing but a DH at this point either. He's breaking down physically too and his arm is shot, so I would rather go with Matsui at DH and bring in Bay or Holliday for the OF
    Bay and Holliday are both going to be overpriced and we need to keep DH open for Posada/Arod/Jeter.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why does everyone want Hairston and Hinske gone so bad? I thought they were great as role players and it would be nice to have some continuity on the team.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Give this team a chance to repeat

If Matsui leaves, it will be the same as when Reggie left us for California

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Give this team a chance to repeat

If Matsui leaves, it will be the same as when Reggie left us for California
    Yeah, but Reggie had one good year and was totally done. It was the right move.

I say no to bringing in Bay or Holliday. The Yankees don't need another huge contract, and to be honest, Bay doesn't impress me that much. Plus in a year or two they will need a spot to move Jeter to.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep them all...

Seriously, if we had lost, then I would have moved in a different direction with perhaps allowing Damon and Matsui to both leave.

But since we won and the team showed tremendous chemistry all year, keep them all.

I'd also keep Hairston and Hinske as well considering what they do off the bench. You just need a good bench in the playoffs.

I know it doesn't open up things for Posada to move to DH more, but it is just something that should be done until they lose.

Move Hughes back to the rotation and keep Joba in the bullpen. (I used to be a Joba-starter guy, but he simply has more to like in the bullpen).

Watch guys like Melancon, Montero, Austin Jackson, and McCallister push for serious playing time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, the only big money signing should be Aroldis Chapman. Guy has amazing upside and we can afford to take it slower with him.

Rotation next year:

Sabathia
    Burnett
    Pettitte
    Hughes
    Wang

(McCallister, Kennedy, and Nova are guys who could push Wang if he's done)

Bullpen:

Mariano
    Joba
    Robertson
    Marte
    Coke
    Melancon
    Aceves

Lineup: (exact same)

Jeter
    Damon
    Tex
    ARod
    Matsui
    Posada
    Cano
    Swisher
    Melky

Bench:

Gardner, Hinske, Hairston

Austin Jackson could be first up in case of injury or if he's just playing that well in Scranton. Montero could force his way up if he just keeps smashing the ball.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cashman said the Yanks want to get "younger and more athletic" which is code words for "I pray to Babe Ruth that Austin Jackson is ready to be an everyday outfielder next year."

The Yanks actually have a payroll. Shocking, yes. But they do. The Yanks operate at about a $3 million to $5 million LOSS every year according to Forbes. That means they spend more (including luxury taxes & revenue sharing) than they bring in. Anything more than that will be problematic.

If the Yankees bring everyone back, then that means they can't bring in another player like Bay, Holliday, or Lackey because those players get $12-15 million a year and then the Yanks would be looking at a $20 million loss a year.

Also remember, the Steinbrenners are not billionaires like the owners of the Mariners and Twins. The Steinbrenners' primary source of income is the Yankees. King George only bought the Yankees for $10 million.

So the Yankees need to let some people go if they want to sign someone else. I like Matsui a lot, but he is physically unable to play the field at any position. He has TWO bad knees. Damon can still play the outfield, but injuries are a concern.

They both made $13 million last year. The Yanks can't afford to pay Matsui that for a DH only. Heck, they can't afford to pay Damon that either. If they could somehow get each for $6 million a piece then both could stay and the Yanks can sign someone else.

Nady & his $6.5 million is gone. If the Yanks lose 1 of the Damon/Matsui salary, that's $19.5 million to work with on free agency.

Molina comes back because he's an excellent back-up catcher.

Hairston & Hinske are likely gone.

Wang won't be offered arbitration IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Cashman said the Yanks want to get "younger and more athletic" which is code words for "I pray to Babe Ruth that Austin Jackson is ready to be an everyday outfielder next year."

The Yanks actually have a payroll. Shocking, yes. But they do. The Yanks operate at about a $3 million to $5 million LOSS every year according to Forbes. That means they spend more (including luxury taxes & revenue sharing) than they bring in. Anything more than that will be problematic.

If the Yankees bring everyone back, then that means they can't bring in another player like Bay, Holliday, or Lackey because those players get $12-15 million a year and then the Yanks would be looking at a $20 million loss a year.

Also remember, the Steinbrenners are not billionaires like the owners of the Mariners and Twins. The Steinbrenners' primary source of income is the Yankees. King George only bought the Yankees for $10 million.

So the Yankees need to let some people go if they want to sign someone else. I like Matsui a lot, but he is physically unable to play the field at any position. He has TWO bad knees. Damon can still play the outfield, but injuries are a concern.

They both made $13 million last year. The Yanks can't afford to pay Matsui that for a DH only. Heck, they can't afford to pay Damon that either. If they could somehow get each for $6 million a piece then both could stay and the Yanks can sign someone else.

Nady & his $6.5 million is gone. If the Yanks lose 1 of the Damon/Matsui salary, that's $19.5 million to work with on free agency.

There is no need for one of those big time free agents. Keep in mind Montero too. hopefully the team drops the idea of playing him at catcher and moves him to the outfield because he has an amazing bat that could do big things in the majors right now.

I try to keep the team the exact same... There are plenty of young guys in the Yankees system as well.

Re-signing Hairston, Hinske, and Molina wouldn't cost much at all, and they may as well bring them back because they are excellent in their roles.

I disagree strongly regarding the finances of the team... I don't think they are nearly that tight against the payroll of the team compared to what they bring in. I think they do have a budget, but they aren't losing that much money by any means. The Yankees sell far more merchandise than any other team in baseball and that is an endless stream of money. For whatever reason, it's popular to wear Yankees stuff. Throw in the network and the revenue they get from that, they make a ton of money.

And Wang will definitely be offered arb. I promise you that. They would offer him arb and trade him before allowing him to go away for nothing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    There is no need for one of those big time free agents. Keep in mind Montero too. hopefully the team drops the idea of playing him at catcher and moves him to the outfield because he has an amazing bat that could do big things in the majors right now.

I try to keep the team the exact same... There are plenty of young guys in the Yankees system as well.

Re-signing Hairston, Hinske, and Molina wouldn't cost much at all, and they may as well bring them back because they are excellent in their roles.
    I agree about the lack of need for big time free agents and the re-signing of Hairston/Hinske & Molina. But I think that with the Yanks desire to get "younger and more athletic" that they might look to the younger & cheaper guys to fill those roles.

I disagree strongly regarding the finances of the team... I don't think they are nearly that tight against the payroll of the team compared to what they bring in. I think they do have a budget, but they aren't losing that much money by any means. The Yankees sell far more merchandise than any other team in baseball and that is an endless stream of money. For whatever reason, it's popular to wear Yankees stuff. Throw in the network and the revenue they get from that, they make a ton of money.
    I'm just going off of what is reported in Forbes and what the Yankee Brass has said publicly for years.

If you think the Yankees haven't been truthful, then I can't dispute that. I'm just going on what has been reported and never refuted.

And Wang will definitely be offered arb. I promise you that. They would offer him arb and trade him before allowing him to go away for nothing.
    You maybe right. But I don't know if the Yanks want to give Wang a raise after last year because if they offer Wang arbitration he will get a raise.

My thinking is that the Yanks won't offer him arbitration, but then try to sign him for less money later.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    If Wang is healthy he will be given every chance to succeed. If offered arbitration what makes anyone think he would win?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    If Wang is healthy he will be given every chance to succeed. If offered arbitration what makes anyone think he would win?
    Even if he loses arbitration he'll make more than he did last year.

That's the problem with MLB arbitration.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Even if he loses arbitration he'll make more than he did last year.

That's the problem with MLB arbitration.
    This would still be a less expensive option than signing a FA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the Yankees brass would really like to get under the 200 million threshold. Don't forget also, every dollar they shave from payroll saves them an additional 40% from being over the soft cap. So cutting 5 million really saves them 7.

I think if they go after anyone, it will be Lackey. It would be a LOT to hope for next year that AJ and Andy each make 35 starts. Plus Hughes will be on an innings limit next year, and no one really knows what Joba gives you as a starter.

I say start Job and Hughes. Fine, Joba isn't an ace. Maybe he's a 3 started on most teams. Do you realize how hard it is to find a #3 for under 10 million per year?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I think the Yankees brass would really like to get under the 200 million threshold. Don't forget also, every dollar they shave from payroll saves them an additional 40% from being over the soft cap. So cutting 5 million really saves them 7.

I think if they go after anyone, it will be Lackey. It would be a LOT to hope for next year that AJ and Andy each make 35 starts. Plus Hughes will be on an innings limit next year, and no one really knows what Joba gives you as a starter.

I say start Job and Hughes. Fine, Joba isn't an ace. Maybe he's a 3 started on most teams. Do you realize how hard it is to find a #3 for under 10 million per year?
    Joba needs to stay in the bullpen. Hughes needs to be eased into a starters role.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Joba needs to stay in the bullpen. Hughes needs to be eased into a starters role.
    Then the Yanks need another starter.