Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead: Yankee Free Agents

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Joba needs to stay in the bullpen. Hughes needs to be eased into a starters role.
    I agree, although I think Hughes would be the better eventual closer.

That said, we can't ignore Joba's mental outlook in 2010.

No one is talking about it, but Joba's mother is set to go to jail for a long time on the Meth charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    If Matsui can get his knee cleaned up to the point where he can be an every day DH, I would bring him back ahead of Damon who is really nothing but a DH at this point either. He's breaking down physically too and his arm is shot, so I would rather go with Matsui at DH and bring in Bay or Holliday for the OF
    i agree 100% also Matsui has always been super clutch.. i will take Matsui as our DH and let Damon walk..

from a yankees stand point i also think politics could play into this decision... Matsui is still big time in Japan and it never hurts from a business stand point for the Yanks to have him around

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by gijet View Post
    i agree 100% also Matsui has always been super clutch.. i will take Matsui as our DH and let Damon walk..

from a yankees stand point i also think politics could play into this decision... Matsui is still big time in Japan and it never hurts from a business stand point for the Yanks to have him around
    This can't be ignored here, and I'm sure it won't be ignored by the FO. They know Matsui makes them way more money than they actually pay him. And he has really helped the Yankees grow globally. Unless they find a way to lure Darvish over to NY, they'll probably want to keep that market satisfied with Matsui.

Personally, I think they should bring back both players for a year.

And it couldn't hurt to see what Matsui thinks his role next season should be. He knows his physical condition has deteriorated over the course of the past two years and that he's not an every day OF anymore. Maybe he's OK with being a bench guy. A pinch hitter who gets to DH 2x or 3x a week and hit in big spots late in games on occasion.

I'd like to get younger and faster, too. But this team did just win a ton of games and the offense wasn't holding them back from more wins.

No matter what, there are some tough choices to make this off season. I'm glad it's not me who has to make them because some guys I like will probably be sent packing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    This can't be ignored here, and I'm sure it won't be ignored by the FO. They know Matsui makes them way more money than they actually pay him. And he has really helped the Yankees grow globally. Unless they find a way to lure Darvish over to NY, they'll probably want to keep that market satisfied with Matsui.

And it couldn't hurt to see what Matsui thinks his role next season should be. He knows his physical condition has deteriorated over the course of the past two years and that he's not an every day OF anymore. Maybe he's OK with being a bench guy. A pinch hitter who gets to DH 2x or 3x a week and hit in big spots late in games on occasion.

I'd like to get younger and faster, too. But this team did just win a ton of games and the offense wasn't holding them back from more wins.

No matter what, there are some tough choices to make this off season. I'm glad it's not me who has to make them because some guys I like will probably be sent packing.

i agree with everything u said Matsui is big business... my issue with Damon is i do not think he will be happy being a DH and he is getting very close to being a major liability in the field... and regardless i would rather have matsui at DH

matt holliday can play the field and hit.

It simply doesn't make sense for the Yankees to bring back Matsui. Remember it's always better to part ways 1 year too early then 1 year too late. We also can't be sentimental. We have to get some younger blood in here.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

That's actually more mythology then anything (Again, thank you Scott Boras), in reality there's very little "extra" money to be made from having Matsui on the Yankees.

All Yankee Merchandise sales in Japan go directly into revenue sharing, since it's out of the teams regional market. The Pirates make as much money off of it as the Yankees do.

All proceeds from broadcasting of Yankees games overseas goes to MLB.

The only area where there is ANY money to be made off of someone like Matsui is by having Japanese Corporations bid for in-stadium signage at the New Yankee Stadium, and the only (real) profit margin there is how much they outbid the American competitiors by, since those signs would be sold anyways. Also, realize, this field is extremely limited since the Yankees are locked into multi-year deals with sponsors with no-compete clauses. Point is, they can't advertise for Japanese Beer when they have American Beer Sponsors already under contract.

It's only worth signing a player from Japan for what he offers on the field, not what you think he's bringing in off of it, because he's simply not bringing in that money.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 11-05-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    That's actually more mythology then anything (Again, thank you Scott Boras), in reality there's very little "extra" money to be made from having Matsui on the Yankees.

All Yankee Merchandise sales in Japan go directly into revenue sharing, since it's out of the teams regional market. The Pirates make as much money off of it as the Yankees do.

All proceeds from broadcasting of Yankees games overseas goes to MLB.

The only real area where there is money to be made off of someone like Matsui is by having Japanese Corporations bid for in-stadium signage at the New Yankee Stadium, and the only (real) profit margin there is how much they outbid the American competitiors by, since those signs would be sold anyways. Also, realize, this field is extremely limited since the Yankees are locked into multi-year deals with sponsors with no-compete clauses. Point is, they can't advertise for Japanese Beer when they have American Beer Sponsors already under contract.

It's only worth signing a player from Japan for what he offers on the field, not what you think he's bringing in off of it, because he's simply not bringing in that money.
    oh wow, thats very interesting, i never knew that. that makes all the Redsox Japanese signings even funnier

Veteran
    You try to bring back Matsui and Damon on 1 year contracts with a team option. You're not going to find anyone better out there when cost and years are factored in. I don't think anyone will offer Hideki anything better. If anyone really wants Damon for more than that, let them have him.

Of course you resign Andy, its just a matter of whether he wants to come back now.

Go hard after Chapman, scour the bench player market and hope a guy like Hermida isn't offered arbitration and get him or someone like him to be your backup OF along with Gardner/Melky.

No need to do anything major THIS year.

CC, AJ, Andy, Joba, Hughes/Guadin/Kennedy etc.

Lineup stays the same hopefully.

Austin Jackson is still another year away, period. Same with Montero. The Yanks can let them develop the way they need to, and then after this coming season you can really get younger.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    It simply doesn't make sense for the Yankees to bring back Matsui. Remember it's always better to part ways 1 year too early then 1 year too late. We also can't be sentimental. We have to get some younger blood in here.
    Younger blood in the form of who though? AJax? not ready. Holliday? Not exactly young or worth the investment.

You bring Hideki back for one year and an option and you aren't risking anything. Getting younger is great and all when it makes the team better. But there is pretty much no way to replace a 130 ops+ with someone who is young, affordable, and without question marks.

If the Yankees sign Damon, Matsui, and Pettitte all to 1 year deals then in 2011 they will Jeter, Rivera, Damon, Matsui, and Pettite all becoming free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Younger blood in the form of who though? AJax? not ready. Holliday? Not exactly young or worth the investment.

You bring Hideki back for one year and an option and you aren't risking anything. Getting younger is great and all when it makes the team better. But there is pretty much no way to replace a 130 ops+ with someone who is young, affordable, and without question marks.
    I don't think Austin Jackson is going to be that good, I wouldn't mind trying to deal him for a young established outfielder.

And Holliday isn't much older than Teixeira is. I think he would be a good fit for us. We need a left fielder, and we need to replace Matsui's bat.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-05-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Veteran
    I don't think Austin Jackson is going to be that good, I wouldn't mind trying to deal him for a young established player.
    I'd be totally down with that. I am in the same camp as you. A guy with little power who strikes out a lot and relies on an unsustainable BABIP doesn't do anything for me. All the diehard calls that "power is the last thing to come" and "he started baseball late" only go so far.

I've long advocated for the Yankees to trade their plethora of RHP prospects for position players, and I'd say throw Jackson in there too to get a good young OF.

I just don't know if any team would really compromise As always with the Yanks, other teams will "start" with Montero.

Veteran
    If the Yankees sign Damon, Matsui, and Pettitte all to 1 year deals then in 2011 they will Jeter, Rivera, Damon, Matsui, and Pettite all becoming free agents.
    As of now, the contracts for 2011 are:
    A-Rod
    CC
    AJ
    Teix
    JoPo (last year)
    Cano (last year, two options)
    Swisher (last year, option)
    Marte (last year, option)
    Brackman (ugh)

And then a bunch of young guys making no more than 5M most likely (Joba Hughes most likely the 5M mark).

Jeter and Rivera will be back, guaranteed, provided the latter doesn't retire.

That's exactly the kind of turn over you want to get younger and work in the farm. Why commit to another expensive long term contract now to "get younger?" They nede to get back to the one and two year contracts that filled in the '90s teams (guys like Chili Davis, Straw, Raines, Boggs, Curtis etc). Not that they were anything special, but they plugged holes with no long term risk

Would you trade Austin Jackson for Adam Dunn? I know he would be our DH, and not our LF but that guy hitting behind A-Rod in Yankee Stadium would be AMAZING.

Veteran
    Would you trade Austin Jackson for Adam Dunn? I know he would be our DH, and not our LF but that guy hitting behind A-Rod in Yankee Stadium would be AMAZING.
    That's a tough one, but probably not. Going to be a FA in 2011 at 31. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him on the team and would advocate trading for him, I just don't think Jackson is the right price--I mean, really, do the Nats have any leverage? And I think fans would go apesh!t (most fans don't really "get" Dunn, only looking at his strikeouts).

ESPN had a rumor about Yankees pursuing Curtis Granderson, I would LOVE if we could make a trade for Granderson. Hes still young (28) and is great defensively, along with some pop.

I doubt the Yankees put in their trust with Jackson, he is not a can't miss guy.

I want the Yankees to go after that Cuban guy Chapman, 22 years old and has great talent. IDK if he is a starter or RP in the ML, but a lefty who throws 100? Sign me up for that!

Resign Jerry Hairston JR, hes a nice utility man. He plays like every position. I'm not sure about Molina as I am sure Cervelli would be a fine backup catcher, he actually hits a bit better and is more athletic back there. The only reason I think about resigning Molina is that with Posada being older, we may need 3 catchers like we did this year.

Damon and Matsui may be gone, who knows. Matsui's bat will be missed, the guy is a great hitter and came through in clutch situations. Its hard to let a bat like that go.
    Damon who knows with too.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    ESPN had a rumor about Yankees pursuing Curtis Granderson, I would LOVE if we could make a trade for Granderson. Hes still young (28) and is great defensively, along with some pop.

I doubt the Yankees put in their trust with Jackson, he is not a can't miss guy.

I want the Yankees to go after that Cuban guy Chapman, 22 years old and has great talent. IDK if he is a starter or RP in the ML, but a lefty who throws 100? Sign me up for that!

Resign Jerry Hairston JR, hes a nice utility man. He plays like every position. I'm not sure about Molina as I am sure Cervelli would be a fine backup catcher, he actually hits a bit better and is more athletic back there. The only reason I think about resigning Molina is that with Posada being older, we may need 3 catchers like we did this year.

Damon and Matsui may be gone, who knows. Matsui's bat will be missed, the guy is a great hitter and came through in clutch situations. Its hard to let a bat like that go.
    Damon who knows with too.
    Granderson isn't a great player, but I'd take him over any CF in our system in a heart beat.

Jets Insider VIP
    No, because of the Yankee older bats.

The whole idea of not re-signing Matsui is to give guys like ARod, Jeter & Posada at-bats at DH to rest them. With Dunn there that's really out of the question.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    No, because of the Yankee older bats.

The whole idea of not re-signing Matsui is to give guys like ARod, Jeter & Posada at-bats at DH to rest them. With Dunn there that's really out of the question.
    I don't think the Yanks should or can afford to approach next season without a DH. Its like the argument people were making that they shouldn't sign Teixiera because they would need 1B for older players. You don't want to basically give away a major advantage in the lineup for rest. Even if you do want to rest those guys, you still need a DH, as they're not going to need THAT much rest.

The advantage of signing Matsui to a 1 yr deal with a club option is that is still allows for resting players as he'll need rest too.

Not resigning Molina also allows the Yanks to play Cervelli more, and while he'll never be a particularly good hitter, he's pretty much guaranteed to be better than Molina.