Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead: Yankee Free Agents

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    No, because of the Yankee older bats.

The whole idea of not re-signing Matsui is to give guys like ARod, Jeter & Posada at-bats at DH to rest them. With Dunn there that's really out of the question.
    I hear you. Bottom line, I don't think Holliday is on Teixeira's level, but I think we need to bring in real good bat if we are going to let Matsui walk. Someone has to protect A-Rod. Someone has to replace that production. Holliday is the best fit.

This way we rotate at DH, Damon can get his days off, and he can even play some LF if needed.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-05-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    I don't think the Yanks should or can afford to approach next season without a DH. Its like the argument people were making that they shouldn't sign Teixiera because they would need 1B for older players. You don't want to basically give away a major advantage in the lineup for rest. Even if you do want to rest those guys, you still need a DH, as they're not going to need THAT much rest.

The advantage of signing Matsui to a 1 yr deal with a club option is that is still allows for resting players as he'll need rest too.

Not resigning Molina also allows the Yanks to play Cervelli more, and while he'll never be a particularly good hitter, he's pretty much guaranteed to be better than Molina.
    I was speaking only in relation to TD's proposition of trading Jackson for Dunn.

I would bring back Matsui under the circumstances you said. Matsui will need some rest anyway. But with Dunn on the team, he'll essentially be the all-the-time DH.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I hear you. Bottom line, I don't think Holliday is on Teixeira's level, but I think we need to bring in real good bat if we are going to let Matsui walk. Someone has to protect A-Rod. Holliday is the best fit. We need a bat that can produce runs and play in the outfield.

This way we rotate at DH, Damon can get his days off, and he can even play some LF if needed.
    I think it's a high probability that they bring in an offensive everyday outfielder.

If you really think about it, the Yanks caught lightning in a bottle with their outfield because on paper Damon, Melky/Gardner, and Swisher is one of the weaker offensive outfields in the AL.

You can't bet on Damon & Swisher producing the same again.

Don't you love hot stove talk?

Sometimes it's more fun than the actual season, though nothing beats winning it all!

Jets Insider VIP

Sometimes it's more fun than the actual season, though nothing beats winning it all!

BTW, congrats on your first championship as an adult!!!

I was a kid in 1977 & 1978 like you were in 1996. 1996 was the best ever for me because I was old enough to actually party in celebration.

I was a kid in 1977 & 1978 like you were in 1996. 1996 was the best ever for me because I was old enough to actually party in celebration.
    It's such a cool feeling. I'm only 21 so this is the first championship for any of my teams that I can actually celebrate properly. I was too young for the Yanks in '96-'00 and the Devils in '95-'03. The parade tomorrow is going to be special and something I remember forever.

Even more precisely, nothing better than the hot stove a day after the Yanks win the World Series.

I can't wait. Last night was amazing. Had a blast at the bar. Thankfully the offense made the game enjoyable, it would of sucked if it was close, no way I would of enjoyed myself. Would of been a nervous wreck. Looking forward to the parade tomorrow, going in with a few of my buddies we're going to spend the day in the city, go to a few bars, should be fun.

I can't sleep, so lets take a look at the expiring contracts coming off the books.

Johnny Damon- 4 years/$52M (2006-09)
    Hideki Matsui- 4 years/$52M (2006-09)
    Xavier Nady- 1 year/$6.55M (2009)
    Andy Pettitte- 1 year/$5.5M (2009)
    Jose Molina- 2 years/$4M (2008-09)
    Jerry Hairston Jr.- 1 year/$2M (2009)
    Eric Hinske- 1 year/$1.5M (2009)

Chien-Ming Wang- 1 year/$5M (2009) is also an arbitration case. Do you offer him arbitration and pay him $5 million? (keep in mind you can't offer him less than what he made last year) or do you cut him lose and sign him to a deal for less money? I'm not sure what time table he's on, but I assume he wont be ready Opening Day 2010, though I could be wrong.

looks like a lot of money freeing up for free agency baby!

Matt Holliday, Rick Ankiel, Vlad Guerrero in the outfield
    John Lackey, Rich Harden in the rotation
    Justin Duchscherer in the bullpen

Chalk up #28

Quote Originally Posted by SackDancer99 View Post
    looks like a lot of money freeing up for free agency baby!

Matt Holliday, Rick Ankiel, Vlad Guerrero in the outfield
    John Lackey, Rich Harden in the rotation
    Justin Duchscherer in the bullpen

Chalk up #28
    Holliday (yes)
    Ankiel (no)
    Guerrero (no)
    Lackey (yes)
    Harden (maybe)
    Duchscherer (no)

If the Yankees sign Holliday and Lackey, the rest of baseball's heads will explode.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    I could care less what the rest of baseball thinks

The haters are always gonna hate anyway, win or lose and no matter how much the Yankees spend, so I would much rather give them a good reason to hate and I would much rather they hate us for winning than mock us for losing

I always know the Yankees are doing something right when the hate is ratcheted up to the ength degree
    +1

I really enjoy the hate when the Yankees are winning. I love it, actually.

Unlike people here, I'll be surprized if Damon is not back. I think he enjoyed being here, and he might take his heart over his wallet. Pettitte will come back until he no longer wants to play, and I believe this is not the year for that. He will be back anyway. As for the rest, I can't see them resigning anyone else on that list unless they want to pay Hinske real cheap to ride the bench and have him as a utility emergency player. I can't see it though...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You have to give this team a chance to repeat

I could care less about Holliday or Bay....The Japanese Jackson is better than both of them

Hall Of Fame
    Why the Jackson hate? The guy at least deserves a shot in the majors... what is he, 23?

Also, I pray that Gardner can improve his hitting. If he can ever become a consistent batter that slaps singles around and gets on base, he'd be the perfect leadoff hitter for this team.

But with this being the Yankees, I doubt we'd go into next season with a 4 man platoon of Jax, Gardner, Melky, and Swish. That's just not the Yankee way.

I just don't want to keep throwing money around... we need to have a little bit more faith in our farm and role players. Obv the FAs were a huge part of this year's run... but don't forget the cornerstone players that were the basis of all these championships: Rivera, Petitte, Jeter, Posada.

We're headed in that direction with Hughes, Joba, Robertson, etc. I hope the same thing happens with our offense.

There's no Jackson hate, bullitt .. he's a CF and we're mostly talking about corner outfielders

I think every Yankee fan is hoping Austin Jackson is our CF starting next year
    He'll be in AAA all next year, he's not close to being ready. No power, strikes out too much, doesn't walk enough.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-05-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Would you trade Austin Jackson for Adam Dunn? I know he would be our DH, and not our LF but that guy hitting behind A-Rod in Yankee Stadium would be AMAZING.
    Yes I belive Dunn is in his last year,i'm don't think Jackson is gonna be anything special
    I love Matsui great sendoff his knees are so bad
    Try to bring back Damon on a one year deal
    Same with Pettite
    The one free agent I would go hard after is John Lackey..you can never have enough pitching

1.Jeter ss
    2 Damon lf
    3.Tex 1b
    4.Arod 3b
    5.Dunn dh
    6.Posada c
    7.Cano 2b
    8.Swisher rf (maybe have Montero play the of in the minors mid season call up????
    9.Melky cf

1.C.C
    2.Lackey
    3.A.j
    4.Andy
    5.Hughes

pen Mo Joba Robertson Marte Coke Aceves Melencon?????

Free Agents I like:

Matt Holliday (Takes over LF for the forceable future, replaces Matsui's bat, gives A-Rod protection)

John Lackey (Gives us a more reliable number 2 starter)

Aroldis Chapman (Have to take a look at a 22 year old left who throws in the high 90's)

Chone Figgins (He could play all positions in the outfield, 3B, 2B, and even SS. If Damon asks for too miuch he would be a decent option for the top of the lineup)

Rich Harden (Guy has a amazing stuff, when he's on the mound, he's one the best pitchers in baseball, I obviously wouldn't give him a lot of money)

Mike Gonzalez (Left handed bullpen arm)

Rafael Soriano (Right handed bullpen arm)

I could care less what the rest of baseball thinks

The haters are always gonna hate anyway, win or lose and no matter how much the Yankees spend, so I would much rather give them a good reason to hate and I would much rather they hate us for winning than mock us for losing

I always know the Yankees are doing something right when the hate is ratcheted up to the ength degree
    Yep, I really can't wait to get Pujols too. I know the Yanks have a gold glove first baseman in Tex, but who cares... need a DH too!

Better yet, just sign EVERY player in MLB, put them ALL in pinstripes, and then just play with themselves! 162 intersquad games would be sweet!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Pennington View Post
    Unlike people here, I'll be surprized if Damon is not back. I think he enjoyed being here, and he might take his heart over his wallet. Pettitte will come back until he no longer wants to play, and I believe this is not the year for that. He will be back anyway. As for the rest, I can't see them resigning anyone else on that list unless they want to pay Hinske real cheap to ride the bench and have him as a utility emergency player. I can't see it though...
    Something else to consider, Damon and Swisher are a BIG part of keeping that clubhouse fun and loose. You could see how much looser the team was this year in the playoffs compared to in the past.

Chemistry matters. Those 2 really help with chemistry.

Need to keep a corner spot open for Jeter in a year. I think Holliday wants 150 million, and I don't think he's that player. I think in 3 years that contract will be an albatross like Giambi's was.

Lackey, hey, you can ALWAYS use another starter. Add a good arm or 2 to the pen so Hughes can start. You can never have too much pitching, and it's rare all 5 starters go all the way. Rare as in, never.

Hinske cheap, why not? That's the point, decent bench player for low $$.

Veteran
    Free Agents I like:

Matt Holliday (Takes over LF for the forceable future, replaces Matsui's bat, gives A-Rod protection)

John Lackey (Gives us a more reliable number 2 starter)

Aroldis Chapman (Have to take a look at a 22 year old left who throws in the high 90's)

Chone Figgins (He could play all positions in the outfield, 3B, 2B, and even SS. If Damon asks for too miuch he would be a decent option for the top of the lineup)

Rich Harden (Guy has a amazing stuff, when he's on the mound, he's one the best pitchers in baseball, I obviously wouldn't give him a lot of money)

Mike Gonzalez (Left handed bullpen arm)

Rafael Soriano (Right handed bullpen arm)
    Holliday and Lackey are both going to command far too much $ and years for guys leaving their prime.

Harden is par too unreliable and will get more $ than he's worth.

I don't think the Yanks really need to go out after any BP arms, especially ones that will demand any sort of $ and will cost draft picks. They have PLENTY of effective BP guys.

Chapman they should go all in for. Stash him in the minors and let him develop.

Figgins would be good, I think, but he hasn't played the more than 12 games in the outfield since 2006 and really isn't that much better than league average at 32. I'm not sure Brett Gardner would be that much worse than him at a fraction of the cost. But let's be honest, if Damon doesn't come back, they are going to get Holliday.