Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Official "I'm a Met fan and not looking forward to 2010" Thread

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

The Official "I'm a Met fan and not looking forward to 2010" Thread

There, I said it. That's right, as much as 2009 was an abortion of a season, I have no hope for this team in 2010. This offseason might be worse than the actual season!

The Yankees, much to the World's chagrin are going to sign Holliday and Lackey, while the Mets biggest move will most likely be re-signing Fernando effin Tatis. Maybe they'll sign Jorge Julio if we're lucky. This stupid f*cking front office will use the "injury card" and once again the same garbage team will take the field.

S*crew baseball and s*crew the Wilpons. Hopefully the Yankees win the next 10 years so this sport just dies and nobody cares anymore.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a Yankee fan, and I'm not trying to hijack the thread or rub salt in the wound, but. What do you think is wrong with this team? Is it the front office? The coaching? The players on the field? All of the above? On paper, they should be much more successful than they have been. Certainly, injuries will always play a role with any team, but...what is going on with that team?

They seem to have the money to spend...are they afraid of overpaying the likes of a Texiera or CC (soon to be Halladay, Lackey, even Mauer in 2011)?? Or do yo think that those elite free agents just don't want to play in Flushing with the Mets? What does their farm system look like? Any prospects that can start a new generation for this team?

I was talking with a buddy of mine who is a Met fan, and he's a very loyal fan and pretty knowledgeable baseball guy, and he sadly thinks that this team needs to start from square 1 yet again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh 2010 is going to blow, i think 4th place is a given...the wilpons got their new dodgers stadium, they dont care about the mets anymore and will leavet hem to rot...as bad as the last few years have been, even worse times are probably ahead, as i smell a phils/yanks repeat series next year

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by morite View Post
    I'm a Yankee fan, and I'm not trying to hijack the thread or rub salt in the wound, but. What do you think is wrong with this team? Is it the front office? The coaching? The players on the field? All of the above? On paper, they should be much more successful than they have been. Certainly, injuries will always play a role with any team, but...what is going on with that team?

They seem to have the money to spend...are they afraid of overpaying the likes of a Texiera or CC (soon to be Halladay, Lackey, even Mauer in 2011)?? Or do yo think that those elite free agents just don't want to play in Flushing with the Mets? What does their farm system look like? Any prospects that can start a new generation for this team?

I was talking with a buddy of mine who is a Met fan, and he's a very loyal fan and pretty knowledgeable baseball guy, and he sadly thinks that this team needs to start from square 1 yet again.

In my view the Mets organization is just unwilling to go the extra yard.....They spend money, Santana, Beltran, Pedro and K-rod but it seems like 1 guy a year....

They do enough to contend but will not go for it all, unlike the Yankees the Mets are willing to be pretty good but not great.....They could have not picked up the Delgado option and tried for a Texiera who would have made them much better just by his defense alone but will not eat the money....

To put Murphy in left field instead of getting an Abreu for peanuts was a major disaster, the guy could not play outfield on a little league team....

The minor leagues have some decent prospects but most at lower levels as their AAA roster was the over the hill gang...

Injuries were a factor of course but not an excuse because they had no depth, to think that Reyes, Wright, Beltran and Delgado would all play 150 plus games this year was a huge mistake....

From 05-08 the Mets averaged 89 wins a year and i believe were in 1st place this season after 50 games before the injury bug realy hit them hard so it is not like they have been awful but seem to not have the leadership and gutty players the great teams have...

Lastly the Mets core especially Wright and Reyes have yet to show the clutch perfomances like a Jeter or Damon type....They have been an undisciplined team as well, and bad fundamentally......Besides that the future looks bright.....
    Last edited by jetsmetsrangers; 11-05-2009 at 11:24 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, we're (Yankee fans) willing to take Santana off your hands on the cheap

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a Yankees fan and I'm hoping that you guys sign Lackey to prevent the Phils from ever reaching the postseason again.

Arrogant ****s beat the Rays last year and thought they were unbeatable.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBKvoIe0xRs

This cheered me up at least

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    As long as the Mets get healthy for 2010, and do some good work in the offseason, they should be right where they need to be for 2010, IMO.

Last year was some freak occurance where EVERY key player of the Mets happened to get hurt, and it's not like they're aging stars or anything, we're talking about many young guys and guys still in their primes. That's just some freakishly bad luck.

It's not playing the "Injury card", it's simply stating the facts. The Mets were 15-10 (.600) with all of their "4 Core Hitters", they were one game out of 1st place 50 or so games into the season. This is still a good team folks.

Going forward though, they still have a core that rivals any of them in the game, they still just need to find the right mix of complimentary pieces to surround them to put them over the top. I'm thinking another big bat since Delgado shouldn't be back (Holliday), another starter (Trade?), and I think they need to focus more on improving the team defense (*cough* Move Castillo *cough*)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    As long as the Mets get healthy for 2010, and do some good work in the offseason, they should be right where they need to be for 2010, IMO.

Last year was some freak occurance where EVERY key player of the Mets happened to get hurt, and it's not like they're aging stars or anything, we're talking about many young guys and guys still in their primes. That's just some freakishly bad luck.

It's not playing the "Injury card", it's simply stating the facts. The Mets were 15-10 (.600) with all of their "4 Core Hitters", they were one game out of 1st place 50 or so games into the season. This is still a good team folks.

Going forward though, they still have a core that rivals any of them in the game, they still just need to find the right mix of complimentary pieces to surround them to put them over the top. I'm thinking another big bat since Delgado shouldn't be back (Holliday), another starter (Trade?), and I think they need to focus more on improving the team defense (*cough* Move Castillo *cough*)
    If Omar Minaya weren't the GM, I would have a little faith in this team. But year after year after year it is a new excuse. He doesn't learn from his mistakes. Not to mention this franchise can't find luck. EVER. It's just all too depressing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYjets105 View Post
    If Omar Minaya weren't the GM, I would have a little faith in this team. But year after year after year it is a new excuse. He doesn't learn from his mistakes. Not to mention this franchise can't find luck. EVER. It's just all too depressing.
    Every year Omar puts a contender out there, I'm not saying he's perfect by any means, but the amount of hate this guy seems to get is ridiculous.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm willing to wait and see what happens in the hot stove. For the moment, I remain hopeful. The apololyptic amount of injuries we had cannot happen again. We have the best CF in the game. We have one of, if not the best pitcher in the game. We NEED a reliable middle to top of the rotation starter. We also desperately need a big bat, preferably a 1B or LF. I'm ok with cheaping out on one or the other if we can get the bat.

We're not that far away. This was a pretty decent team before all the injuries hit. Remember this graphic (courtesy metsblog):

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    mets have a lot of work to do.

the least I hope for is a healthy, reyes, beltran, wright & santana.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    mets have a lot of work to do.

the least I hope for is a healthy, reyes, beltran, wright & santana.
    Well, Yes and no. What do you want?

Francoeur, like it or not, goes nowhere. And I hate this btw.

Castillo, while I'd love to move him, is almost unmovable.

We need a C, 1B, LF. Plus a starter (I'd say 2 starters). Is that a lot? I guess it is. I just think that, if we're healthy...we'll be at the least competitive.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad baseball is over and I'm not looking forward to the off-season in which the Mets will do nothing but be mentioned in everything.

Reyes is damaged goods, and he wont be 100% and if hes not, he isnt the same player.

Wrights power draught is worrisome and wont improve in Citi Field, Santana is a ticking timebomb...elbow issues again its a foregone conclusion.
    Oliver Perez is gonna be trotted out there again, even tho hes terrible. Maine is always liable to get hurt, Pelfrey can never be a #2 with only one good pitch, and none of the prospects look like they are gonna develop into anything but serviceable.

A healthy Beltran is about all I'm looking forward to.

I believe the future is quite grim

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ssshhh! Quiet! Listen. Did you hear it? That was the sound of Reyes popping another hamstring.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yankees aren't signing John Lackey, and I'm not sure about Matt Holliday yet but IDK if they will.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ0815 View Post
    Castillo, while I'd love to move him, is almost unmovable.
    Castillo is coming off a decent year, I think if we were so inclined we could find a home for him this time around, especially from a team that doesn't seem to understand the advanced defensive metrics. Granted, it may still take some money given how much the economics of the game have changed in the last 2 years.

We need a C, 1B, LF. Plus a starter (I'd say 2 starters). Is that a lot? I guess it is. I just think that, if we're healthy...we'll be at the least competitive.
    No catcher available that's worth a damn...doesn't matter how much I'd want to upgrade if there's no upgrade available. You want to sign someone because Thole isn't ready? Fine. But this isn't a spot to be wasting much resources on given what's available.

Frankly, I like Murphy, if you give up on every player because of their first 600 at-bats as a Pro, then you'd have given up on an awful lot of good players in this league. He got better as the year went on, he's making progress. I think he'll be a fine 1B in this league, albeit not a star. Plus, I feel well insured with Carter, Evans, and Ike Davis that we could piece togeather something even if Murphy does disappoint. It'd be one thing if an Adrian Gonzalez was out there for the taking, but that seems like wishful thinking.....Adam LaRoche isn't good enough to give up on Murphy for, especially because it'd take probably a 3 year deal that'd block Ike.

Thus yeah, I feel like I can pool my assets and make Holliday an offer he can't refuse.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Icer View Post
    Reyes is damaged goods, and he wont be 100% and if hes not, he isnt the same player.
    ---
    Santana is a ticking timebomb...elbow issues again its a foregone conclusion.
    ---
    Maine is always liable to get hurt,
    .... based on what exactly? Your gut? Imagination?

All the reports suggest that they'll be fine for 2010.

Wrights power draught is worrisome and wont improve in Citi Field,
    Seems more like a fluke then anything else.

Oliver Perez is gonna be trotted out there again, even tho hes terrible.
    For his career, he's been roughly a league average pitcher.

He's frustrating, he's maddening, but there's no reason to think he won't at least be serviceable.

Pelfrey can never be a #2 with only one good pitch,
    If we get another arm, Pelfrey doesn't NEED to be a #2.

and none of the prospects look like they are gonna develop into anything but serviceable.
    F-Mart, Ike Davis, Jenrry Mejia, ect. There's plenty of prospects that could be more then serviceable. That's just not an accurate statement at all.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd get Holliday, get rid of Castillo, trade for Dan Uggla, find a 2-3 starter (haven't figured out who it will be), get a major league level catcher, and a couple of spare parts for the bullpen. That should put them in contention.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Icer View Post
    I believe the future is quite grim
    All you had in that post were empty assumptions.
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 11-06-2009 at 01:59 AM. Reason: watch the name calling