Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yanks '09- A heartwarming, cinderella story...

Yanks '09- A heartwarming, cinderella story...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...oll/index.html

So congratulations to the Yankee fans..you're all winners in life, i'm sure

The Yankees have a pat hand.

This is the way baseball is structured, and we have reached a point where people simply don't want to hear any griping about it. Don't like it? Don't watch. Some people have stopped watching, I suppose. But many of us keep on because we love baseball and there's enough randomness in the game itself and enough volatility in the playoffs to distract us from the lunacy of having the game so ridiculously tilted toward one team.

The trouble is that, inevitably, that one team will make good choices. They will put together a team of All-Stars. They will sign a dominant left-handed starter and a slugging switch-hitting Gold Glove first baseman and a right-handed starter who throws curveballs that bend like wiffle balls. That team will be a remarkable collection of stars, and they will play often beautiful baseball, and they will win more games than any other team during the season. That team will roll through the playoffs without facing an elimination game or anything resembling real drama -- though there will be constant efforts to make it SEEM like there's drama.

And then: That team that spent $50 million more than any other team, that team with three sure Hall of Famers and as many as four others, that team that bought Milwaukee's best pitcher and Anaheim's best hitter and Toronto's No. 2 starter and Boston's favorite Idiot and the most expensive player in the history of baseball and so on, that team will win the World Series, and spray champagne on each other, and they will tell you that they won because they came together as a group and kept pulling themselves off the ground and didn't listen to the doubters.

And then, if you are a not a Yankees fan, you will want to throw up. If you are not a Yankees fan, you are left hoping that next year the randomness of a short playoff series will get the Yankees and allow some other team to win so we can celebrate the hope of Opening Day. And that's baseball.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0W72DMZLx
    Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Hall Of Fame
    Wow, what is your obsession with the Yankees?

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post

This is the way baseball is structured, and we have reached a point where people simply don't want to hear any griping about it. Don't like it? Don't watch. Some people have stopped watching, I suppose. But many of us keep on because we love baseball and there's enough randomness in the game itself and enough volatility in the playoffs to distract us from the lunacy of having the game so ridiculously tilted toward one team.

The trouble is that, inevitably, that one team will make good choices. They will put together a team of All-Stars. They will sign a dominant left-handed starter and a slugging switch-hitting Gold Glove first baseman and a right-handed starter who throws curveballs that bend like wiffle balls. That team will be a remarkable collection of stars, and they will play often beautiful baseball, and they will win more games than any other team during the season. That team will roll through the playoffs without facing an elimination game or anything resembling real drama -- though there will be constant efforts to make it SEEM like there's drama.

And then: That team that spent $50 million more than any other team, that team with three sure Hall of Famers and as many as four others, that team that bought Milwaukee's best pitcher and Anaheim's best hitter and Toronto's No. 2 starter and Boston's favorite Idiot and the most expensive player in the history of baseball and so on, that team will win the World Series, and spray champagne on each other, and they will tell you that they won because they came together as a group and kept pulling themselves off the ground and didn't listen to the doubters.

And then, if you are a not a Yankees fan, you will want to throw up. If you are not a Yankees fan, you are left hoping that next year the randomness of a short playoff series will get the Yankees and allow some other team to win so we can celebrate the hope of Opening Day. And that's baseball.

lol they said 50 mil more than any other team, and they were referring to the mets. who have the highest pay roll in the NL and STILL can't make the playoffs haha. thats why i love baseball. money can't buy you everything. example those group of losers - mets

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL, Tucker.

You're truly obsessed.

Just move on, man.

LOL

People who constantly complain about this truly make me laugh. There are far worse things to worry about in the world than the pay structure of the MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    People who constantly complain about this truly make me laugh. There are far worse things to worry about in the world than the pay structure of the MLB.

agreed, i'm done for the year...I have a helluva lot more things to worry about..but calling out the Yankees organization & their arrogant fans has been amusing. The Jets beating the Jags & Pats are all that count now, in sports anyway...

agreed, i'm done for the year...I have a helluva lot more things to worry about..but calling out the Yankees organization & their arrogant fans has been amusing. The Jets beating the Jags & Pats are all that count now, in sports anyway...
    Actually YOU are the one who is amusing, thanks for the laughs.

no **** tucker. your mets didn't even make the playoffs. you said a lot of things about the yankees and looks like you were completely wrong. all your predictions came true and happened to your mets jackass

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by gqxluvx View Post
    Actually YOU are the one who is amusing, thanks for the laughs.
    +1

Seriously, Tucker. EVERYONE is laughing AT YOU, including Met fans.

Hall Of Fame
    That blog was written by Joe Posnanski....

Writer for the Kansas City Star....

At least we finally have someone complaining about this payroll issue that has a reason to be complaining.

The humor is in who posted it.
    Last edited by Phoenixx; 11-06-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    That blog was written by Joe Posnanski....

Writer for the Kansas City Star....

At least we finally have someone complaining about this payroll issue that has a reason to be complaining.

The humor is in who posted it.
    The guy is actually one of the best baseball writers around. Agree or not the article is factual and while he may be biased he does present arguments for both sides.

I'm not going to sit here and complain since being a Mets fan I have no room to really bicker about payrolls. However, I'm not going to just dismiss the writer because he writes for Kansas City...since he also is a regular writer for SI too...and writes very good books....and has a popular blog. I digress.

Tucker,
    I don't think anybody called this a "cinderella heartwarming story". If they do, they're a complete moron. With that being said, for chrissakes man just let them enjoy it. Who cares. They're allowed to be happy.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    The guy is actually one of the best baseball writers around. Agree or not the article is factual and while he may be biased he does present arguments for both sides.

I'm not going to sit here and complain since being a Mets fan I have no room to really bicker about payrolls. However, I'm not going to just dismiss the writer because he writes for Kansas City...since he also is a regular writer for SI too...and writes very good books....and has a popular blog. I digress.
    Reread what I wrote, TD.

I didn't dismiss the author of the article.
    I dismissed the author of the post.

Hall Of Fame
    LOL. "Called out".

LOL.

Yes, and we all feel horrible about it.

Being World Champions sure can suck sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    Reread what I wrote, TD.

I didn't dismiss the author of the article.
    I dismissed the author of the post.
    Gotcha.

Nothing wrong there.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

You watched every minute of the parade, didnt you. And now you are furious.

LOLZ

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    You watched every minute of the parade, didnt you. And now you are furious.

LOLZ
    LOL

Veteran
    Not for nothing, but the 2007 Red Sox still own the record for highest payroll over a WS loser. Not that anyone ever thought to bring THAT up during that WS.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Not for nothing, but the 2007 Red Sox still own the record for highest payroll over a WS loser. Not that anyone ever thought to bring THAT up during that WS.
    Excellent point, SDJets.

The Sox had a whopping $89 million payroll advantage!!!!!!!!!

I for one am quite happy that I'm lucky enough to root for a team that puts it's money back in the team.

I'm a very proud New York Yankee fan, the 2009 World Series Champions!

And what makes the parade that I went to even sweeter is knowing that Tucker was on his computer crying about the Yankees. Fantastic!