Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yanks '09- A heartwarming, cinderella story...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mets fans chiding the Yankees for what they do is simply laughable. The Mets have all of the same advantages as the Yankees (playing in NY, their own cable channel, and a new stadium), yet all they can manage to do is to put together a team of overpaid mostly marginal talent who can't even secure a wild card berth.

If the entire current Mets roster were to be invited to Yankees spring training the only player who could probably win a spot on the team is Johan Santana. Mets fans have to face the fact that their biggest problem is not the Yankees, or any other team, but instead its their horrible ownership and incompetent management. When the Mets had Frank Cashen, who was then probably the best GM in baseball, they won. Even that degenerate, Steve Phillips, was a better GM than Omar Minaya.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaSanchez View Post
    Mets fans chiding the Yankees for what they do is simply laughable. The Mets have all of the same advantages as the Yankees (playing in NY, their own cable channel, and a new stadium), yet all they can manage to do is to put together a team of overpaid mostly marginal talent who can't even secure a wild card berth.

If the entire current Mets roster were to be invited to Yankees spring training the only player who could probably win a spot on the team is Johan Santana. Mets fans have to face the fact that their biggest problem is not the Yankees, or any other team, but instead its their horrible ownership and incompetent management. When the Mets had Frank Cashen, who was then probably the best GM in baseball, they won. Even that degenerate, Steve Phillips, was a better GM than Omar Minaya.
    Carlos Betran would obviously be our center fielder. Speaking of CF, I'd love to upgrade that position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, teams hated our payroll from 01-08. Especially the owners that pocketed out luxory tax money. The sound of one hand clapping....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Carlos Betran would obviously be our center fielder. Speaking of CF, I'd love to upgrade that position.
    OK I forgot Beltran, the most invisible $100 mil+ player in baseball, but he'd just be a stopgap for a year or two anyway until Austin Jackson is ready

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    agreed, i'm done for the year...I have a helluva lot more things to worry about..but calling out the Yankees organization & their arrogant fans has been amusing. The Jets beating the Jags & Pats are all that count now, in sports anyway...
    every time the yankees win we get THE LECTURE...even though there's been more teams winning it all in baseball than football, with its adherence to order notwithstanding....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaSanchez View Post
    OK I forgot Beltran, the most invisible $100 mil+ player in baseball, but he'd just be a stopgap for a year or two anyway until Austin Jackson is ready
    That nasty thing on Beltrans ear will probably strike out less in the majors than Jackson will.

I wonder what it would take to get Franklin Gutiérrez from the Mariners, I'd give them Jackson.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you're a fan of an underachieving team (Mets?) in MLB and they go out and spend 3, 4 or even 500 mil over the winter in order to put a winning ball club on the field. Your team now has some of the biggest stars in the sport and patched up almost all its holes. But you're so disgusted by this spending spree you abandon them and become a Royals fan.

Unless this describes you, you shouldn't be whining about the Yanks playing by the rules. That is unless you're a phony

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i just laugh at people that insult the yankees payroll. you guys can insult us all you want thinking it makes it less exciting by being told we have a big payroll...

but the truth is, I was jumping around in excitement when the Yankees won every playoff game. I DVR'd like 8 different parade telecasts. (ok, only 3, but still). The Yankees won 4 WS in my lifetime before this. But those past wins didn't make this any less exciting, it might have made it more exciting being so "long" ago... this was as exciting as watching my underdog UConn Huskies win two national titles. This was was exciting as every other sporting accomplishment by my teams in my life. If the Yankees win next year, I will again jump up and down screaming like a little girl on christmas.

So keep talking **** about the Yankees payroll. If the Yankees win again next year, a million more people will skip school and work next year to watch a victory parade. It's still as exciting as ever.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not for nothing this was a story by Sports Illustrated, written by a very good Baseball writter, not some rant from the OP. It's on most major Baseball forums, not just in a Baseball section on a Football forum. Some of you need to relax and stop getting so pissy when an article or an opinion doesn't stroke you beloved Yankee egos. If you want that start your own Yankee forum. I wonder how many of you were pounding the keyboard in anger when typing your response to this story.

You guys get trolled by every post the OP makes

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, chill out Yankee fans. Your team just won the WS and your acting like you have to justify your title. Enjoy it and understand that there are 29 other teams that are pissed off now bc they didnt win. Every other team is striving to be in your shoes right now (World Champs) and you should expect the distain for your team now. Every winner every year will get it regardless of sport if they were expected to win it before the season started (which the Yanks were). So, chill out and enjoy it. Lord knows most of us other fans that put in the time to root for our team wish we have an opportunity to win one too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I can say is, thank you God for making me a Yankees fan...now, how about my Jets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    i just laugh at people that insult the yankees payroll. you guys can insult us all you want thinking it makes it less exciting by being told we have a big payroll...

but the truth is, I was jumping around in excitement when the Yankees won every playoff game. I DVR'd like 8 different parade telecasts. (ok, only 3, but still). The Yankees won 4 WS in my lifetime before this. But those past wins didn't make this any less exciting, it might have made it more exciting being so "long" ago... this was as exciting as watching my underdog UConn Huskies win two national titles. This was was exciting as every other sporting accomplishment by my teams in my life. If the Yankees win next year, I will again jump up and down screaming like a little girl on christmas.

So keep talking **** about the Yankees payroll. If the Yankees win again next year, a million more people will skip school and work next year to watch a victory parade. It's still as exciting as ever.

glad you're having fun at the parades & such...just as long as u know it's a hoax

& dont bring up Jim Calhoun & the UCONN Huskies as underdogs...he's as shady as there is in college hoops when it comes to recruiting violations...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co...houn_dogg.html

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    glad you're having fun at the parades & such...just as long as u know it's a hoax

& dont bring up Jim Calhoun & the UCONN Huskies as underdogs...he's as shady as there is in college hoops when it comes to recruiting violations...

I thought you were done?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh man is this guy laughable.

He's coming to the realization that the Yankees are looking like they're about to start another run like '96 thru '03. Hey maybe the Mets can be ready to win the NL by 2013 and play the Yankees in the Series again....or maybe not.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The yankees are just playing with in the rules. Any other team can do the same thing but thier owners chose not to... So blame them. Not the yankees. Seeing met fans cry makes me laugh.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't care when people complain about the Yankees payroll
    There will never be a salary cap in baseball owners don't want it,cause then they will have to spend to a floor.You know the Marlins,Pirates,A's among others don't want to do that.The Marlins make a nice profit every year because they don't put money into the team,but they gladly take the Yankees luxury tax money

Plus bottom line it's good for baseball when the Yankees are in the World Series just look at the ratings for this year's world series.

baseball will never be on par with say the NFL with the way there salary cap is set up,but it is better than it was 10 years ago

You have one hyperpower when it comes to payroll Yankees
    about 5 or 6 superpowers Mets.Red Sox,White Sox,Dodgers,Angels,Cubs
    Then the majority of teams with the exception of the ones I listed earlier are in the 70 mill to 100 mill payroll range

Look at all the different teams who have one world and league championships this decade,you could argue that there has been more parity in baseball this decade than the other big sports NFL,NBA

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Tuck, btw, here's another heartwarming moment for ya in case the epic procession down B'way wasnt enough;

The day after the Yanks clinched #27, my son and I went to his annual Little league dinner where a MLB player of some ilk, usually a Met or Yankee shows up. Not knowing who it was going to be this year, my son wears his World champs tee that we got at the stadium the night before.

I wish you could have seen the double take Daniel Murphy did when he saw, prolly for the first time, this magnificent piece of art before him.

"hey big guy....I....uh.....I really dont appreciate that shirt" says he

btw, he was a real class act, self deprecating and very good with all the kids, I cant imagine how annoying it must be to do these functions.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...oll/index.html

So congratulations to the Yankee fans..you're all winners in life, i'm sure

The Yankees have a pat hand.

This is the way baseball is structured, and we have reached a point where people simply don't want to hear any griping about it. Don't like it? Don't watch. Some people have stopped watching, I suppose. But many of us keep on because we love baseball and there's enough randomness in the game itself and enough volatility in the playoffs to distract us from the lunacy of having the game so ridiculously tilted toward one team.

The trouble is that, inevitably, that one team will make good choices. They will put together a team of All-Stars. They will sign a dominant left-handed starter and a slugging switch-hitting Gold Glove first baseman and a right-handed starter who throws curveballs that bend like wiffle balls. That team will be a remarkable collection of stars, and they will play often beautiful baseball, and they will win more games than any other team during the season. That team will roll through the playoffs without facing an elimination game or anything resembling real drama -- though there will be constant efforts to make it SEEM like there's drama.

And then: That team that spent $50 million more than any other team, that team with three sure Hall of Famers and as many as four others, that team that bought Milwaukee's best pitcher and Anaheim's best hitter and Toronto's No. 2 starter and Boston's favorite Idiot and the most expensive player in the history of baseball and so on, that team will win the World Series, and spray champagne on each other, and they will tell you that they won because they came together as a group and kept pulling themselves off the ground and didn't listen to the doubters.

And then, if you are a not a Yankees fan, you will want to throw up. If you are not a Yankees fan, you are left hoping that next year the randomness of a short playoff series will get the Yankees and allow some other team to win so we can celebrate the hope of Opening Day. And that's baseball.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0W72DMZLx
    Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The ironic thing is that it's a Mets fan complaining about this. The only reason the Mets are even competitive next season is b/c baseball has no salary cap otherwise Johan Santana, Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado and K-Rod wouldn't be there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    LOL!!

I don't think the haters realize how much we love the hate

Its the best feeling in the world to be hated because you are envied
    Exactly.

The only reason the Yanks are hated is because they're successful. I'd rather be a hated success than a beloved failure.

Besides, the haters resent the fact that in every baseball city in America there is a large contingent of Yankee fans.

Why do you think the Yanks have the best road attendance in baseball? They bring out the local rival fans AND local Yankee fans.

We're everywhere.