Thread: Aroldis Chapman considering Mets and Yankees

Aroldis Chapman considering Mets and Yankees

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...1mmHDDQzLXRDrN

Agent: Cuba's Chapman considering Mets, Yankees
    Pitcher at home in New York

By TIM BONTEMPS
    Last Updated: 4:34 PM, November 5, 2009
    Posted: 11:03 AM, November 5, 2009

It’s been a wild few months for Aroldis Chapman.

The 21-year-old left-hander from Cuba defected in July while in the Netherlands for the World Port Tournament. He then established residency in the small European country of Andorra, clearing the way for Major League Baseball to declare him a free agent on September 25.

Now over a month into his time as a free agent, Chapman’s agent, Edwin Mejia, said there is no rush on their part to find Chapman a new employer.

“I don’t think we’re going to make any business any time soon,” Mejia told the Post. “Chapman has been throwing all over the world, so we’re trying to get him settled down a little bit.

“But the bottom line is that we have time. He’s definitely the top young free agent pitcher on the market, and teams are interested. You need to let teams figure out what they need to, and then, when the time is right, a deal will get done.”

Two teams that have been ever-present in rumors about being interested in Chapman, whose fastball has been near 100 miles per hour, are the Mets and Yankees. Mejia said that he and Chapman have met with both organizations, and will continue to remain in contact with both of them. With his agency, Athletes Premier International, based in New York, Mejia said Chapman has gotten used to being in the city, and that it could work out well for all involved if he was able to stay here.

“He likes New York,” Mejia said. “We’re here now, and it wouldn’t be a bad thing if he decided to stay here.”

Along with the Mets and Yankees, Mejia said that he and Chapman has met with the Red Sox and Orioles, and said he has meetings scheduled with several other teams. Given his combination of talent and age, not to mention his being left-handed, Chapman could arguably be the second-most sought-after free agent pitcher on the market, behind Angels ace John Lackey.

“As I said awhile back, it’s pretty much whatever team wants him the most,” Mejia said. “Whatever team has the same vision as we do, as far as his talent, potential and a city that’s comfortable for him.

“It’s easy for him for understand New York, because we’re here, but I’ve gone to great lengths to explain things about the different market that are interested. At this point, it’s the likelihood of success, things like that.”

The most similar case to the one that Chapman currently finds himself in was when Jose Contreras became a free agent after defecting in the winter of 2002. That led to a protracted battle between the Red Sox and Yankees for his services, with the Yankees eventually signing him to a four-year, $32 million dollar contract.

Given that Contreras was nearly 10 years older when he came to The Bronx than Chapman currently is, that contract has been bandied about as a baseline for Chapman’s negotiations – a notion Mejia didn’t dismiss.

“Common sense would dictate that,” he said of using Contreras’ contract. “I don’t think I need to say it for people to read it that way. I have told teams directly what we want, but I’m not going to say it in the press, and that’s the way I want to keep it.

“To me, it’s between the player and the club, and that’s the way it should be.”

With the Yankees clinching the 27th world championship last night, officially beginning baseball’s offseason, the chase for Chapman will likely become one of the bigger storylines of this year’s free agency. But while Mejia wasn’t ready to put any kind of timeline on the process, he cautioned teams not to wait too long, or else they might miss a chance to sign his client.

“It depends,” he said on how long Chapman will be on the market. “We’re getting offers already. If teams don’t get on the ball, there’s teams that want him, and may not let them get the chance.

“He’s a hot commodity.”

His agent seems to be doing a decent job, using both NY teams to drive up the price but also claiming that there's interest elsewhere as well. He's a lucky guy; usually an agent can only leverage the Yankees, but to get both, I think this guy will get a very good deal. I especially like the "we're getting offers already". Those are, I'm sure, very low offers at this point. I don't see him being signed until around Christmas time at the earliest.

I think the Yankees will make a strong push, stronger if Pettitte makes it known that he is not returning. The Mets are more desperate, but the Yankees are less Madoffed. Should be an interesting bidding war. Beware of Boston pulling a Tex and snagging at the last minute.

He is considering money, not the Mets and Yanks.

BTW, to the above poster

The Mets made money off Madoff

For Sterling Equities, owner of the New York Mets, the baseball season went down the tubes.

Now some companies related to Sterling appear to be striking out when it comes to getting money back from the Bernard Madoff swindle, according to court records.

Last month the Mets Limited Partnership reported in the Madoff bankruptcy case that trustee Irving Picard had denied its claim "in the entirety."

While records of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Manhattan don't give details about the Mets partnership or the size of its original claim, they were signed by a key executive of the baseball team.

Madoff records also give the old Shea Stadium as the partnership address. (Another partnership, Sterling Mets Lp, which is listed in different court records as a team owner, apparently isn't involved in the denied claim.)

The claim denial means that the partnership has lost out on up to $500,000 from the Securities Investor Protection Corp. and on a share of the billions of dollars in assets Picard is finding. The partnership has filed a legal objection to Picard's decision with the bankruptcy court.

A key issue appears to be that the partnership's account with Madoff didn't have a positive "net equity" because it withdrew or transferred out more money than it had deposited, according to court records filed in the bankruptcy case.

In those instances, Picard is routinely denying claims because he says the customers where "net winners" by taking out more money than they put into Madoff's business.

Any excess withdrawals, Picard has said, utilized stolen customer funds. But scores of customers contend the amount listed on their November statements from Madoff, even if fictitious, should be the basis for the payments.
    connections

* New York Mets New York Mets
    * The Beatles The Beatles
    * Atlanta Braves Atlanta Braves
    * New York Jets New York Jets
    * Oakland Raiders Oakland Raiders

Sterling Equities had scores of accounts on a Madoff mailing list published earlier this year. News reports have claimed Sterling Equities lost as much as $700 million in Madoff's Ponzi scheme and would have to sell the baseball team, something the company denied.

While court records don't give details about Sterling Equities' claims, sources familiar with the investigation who didn't want to be identified indicate it didn't lose money and was able to withdraw about $50 million over what it invested with Madoff.

Under bankruptcy law, Picard could seek to claw back money from Sterling or others took out in excess of deposits. But Picard seems to be going after high rollers like Jeffry Picower, who is being sued for $7.2 billion, an amount that is a big part of the estimated $13 billion to $18 billion fraud. A spokesman for Picard declined to comment.

The role of the Mets Limited Partnership, which is registered in Delaware, in the ownership of the team wasn't spelled out in court papers.

A spokesman for Sterling Equities, the overall owner of the Mets, of which Fred Wilpon is chairman, declined to comment when asked to explain the corporate connections and reports that Sterling Equities didn't suffer financial harm.

But there appears to be a substantial connection between the Sterling business empire and the partnership. Mets Limited Partnership court documents were signed by David Cohen, who is also listed on the team's Web site as general counsel, on behalf of CDS Corp., the general partner. CDS is a New York corporation formed in November 1986 of which Fred Wilpon is president, state records show.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    As a Mets fan I'd like to see us get him. But I think the best thing for MLB would be if he went to the Orioles and became a superstar.

I hope the Yankees offseason plans include getting this guy, he may not be ready to pitch in the majors right away. But he has great stuff and is 21-22 years old so hes young. I rather get him than someone like Lackey who is getting older.

kinda prospect you love but at the same time scares u..

he's going to demand a lot of money which rightfully so because his talent level is awesome but ive seen a lot of pitchers with great stuff that havent panned out in the major leagues also he's a bit of a hot head which never boads well..

im enamored with the potential but scared by the variables.. such is the buisness of baseball

The idea of paying him 60 million, like him and his agent are supposedly demanding, is downright insane. Strasburg was supposedly the best prospect ever (or one of) and he got a quarter of that to sign. I understand his agent is trying to compare him to guys like Dice-K and Contreras, but those guys were already finished products when they came to the states, Chapman will need time in the minors, he has shown minimal ability to control his stuff. Strasburg is a far better comparison to him then Dice-K or Contreras, and frankly, Strasburg is a better talent.

I understand open market, and thus bidding war, but those demands are simply out of touch with reality. I'd take him for maybe 20 million, but that's about it. I don't get the sense the Mets are serious players in this anyways, they need established talent, they're not in a position to gamble on an enigma like this.