Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Mets Fans: Holliday or Lackey?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Mets Fans: Holliday or Lackey?

If you had the chance to get either or, who would you sign?

hypothetical.

lackey 5/85

or

holliday 6/110

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You sign them both if given the chance

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holliday 100%.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holliday

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holliday, and then sign Wolf and maybe Harden/Sheets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    id go holliday.. i like lackey but im not sure he's worth the money.. holliday is a lot of money and maybe more money that he's worth considering his defense is average at best but he's the best hitter in free agency and is exactly what the mets need right now.

Fernando martinez looks to need some more time in AAA and show he's able to make it through an entire season down there without hurting something. Holliday offers a middle of the lineup bat who hits for power and average. He's a must sign for the mets this offseason IMO.

Pitching i would live to sign wolf and marquis.. maybe piniero (not sure if he's an FA or not i believe he is though)

A poster above mentioned harden/sheets and personally im not sure i would touch either.. im sick of having guys on this team with injury histories.. injuries happen but with those two guys its almost a given that at one point in the year they're missing significant time. Sheets hasnt pitched in a year almost.. Harden has value because he is actually a top tier pitcher when on the ball but he'll command more than he's worth at this point i think.

Take all the guess work out of the rotation.. im sick of trying to project what each starter MIGHT HAVE.. our rotation is the king of unfulfilled potential. wolf and marquis are pretty steady and u knwo are gonna pitch around 30 games for you and give u solid to better than solid stuff, in the case of this year pretty darn good stuff

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not really crazy about Holliday but the biggest need is a corner OF bat, and he fits the bill. The price will be more than he's worth, oh well. I thought the same initially with the Beltran signing and he's been the best player on the team since we got him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holliday, we need a big bat badly and unfortunately he is the best free agent out there. If we could somehow trade for Carlos Lee though...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lackey and it shouldn't even be a debate. They have no legit #2 or even #3 starter int he rotation after Santana. If the position players get healthy which I believe they will the offense will be fine but their starting pitching sucks after Santana.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, we have Johan and a bunch of 3/4 type pitchers. I don't so much care about getting a "2"...lackey is not worth "ace" money or a 6 year deal if that's what it's gonna take. I just want a couple of legit, reliable pitchers, and there are better ways to do it than overpay or go too long with lackey. If it were my call, I'd go Randy Wolf and a guy like Nolasco, who is apparently available. Do that and you go Santana-Nolasco-Pelf-LOLiver-Wolf and you put maine in the pen where he belongs.

Then, you get yourself a solid LF...holliday ideally...and a platoon mate for Murph at 1B. Add in a servicable catcher and this team CAN complete, and thensome, if we stay healthy.
    Last edited by NYJ0815; 11-08-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ0815 View Post
    Yeah, we have Johan and a bunch of 3/4 type pitchers. I don't so much care about getting a "2"...lackey is not worth "ace" money or a 6 year deal if that's what it's gonna take. I just want a couple of legit, reliable pitchers, and there are better ways to do it than overpay or go too long with lackey. If it were my call, I'd go Randy Wolf and a guy like Nolasco, who is apparently available. Do that and you go Santana-Nolasco-Pelf-LOLiver-Wolf and you put maine in the pen where he belongs.

Then, you get yourself a solid LF...holliday ideally...and a platoon mate for Murph at 1B. Add in a servicable catcher and this team CAN complete, and thensome, if we stay healthy.
    The Mets are going to have to spend money to get Lackey their starting rotation after Santana is a bunch of overrated trash. Plus Lackey would probably be excellent in the National League.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign both.

Holliday is a no brainer and you can't overlook the NL pitching boost Lackey would get in switching leagues.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    The Mets are going to have to spend money to get Lackey their starting rotation after Santana is a bunch of overrated trash. Plus Lackey would probably be excellent in the National League.
    No question Lackey would be awesome in the NL. I just question if he's worth the $17MM it's gonna take to sign him. I'd just as soon take that money and sign two reliable starters (Wolf and Marquis/Garland) or trade for a good arm (Nolasco). If the yankees proved anything, it's that having reliable middle of the rotation starters are just as important as having that rock at the top of the rotation. Well, Pelf is serviceable, but he's not quite there yet. Good back of the rotation guy. Ollie is overpaid and maddeningly inconsistent. He's good then bad. Typical 5 starter. We have guys like Niese, et al who can compete if he can't cut it (and I'd just as soon trade his @ss, but it's not happening).