Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Q for Yankee fans. Do any of you really like Sterling???

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Q for Yankee fans. Do any of you really like Sterling???

I understand Sterling has history of the Yankees and everyone recognizes the "The yannkkkkeeeeesssss win" call but seriously can any of you listen to this guy without wanting to scream?

My Yankee fan friends all agree that they can't stand him but if that was the case how does this guy still have a job? It sure as hell can't be his clever wit with such lines as the milk man, the siahanara kid, a tex message, and my new personal favorite swisherlicious.

I just don't understand how the Yankees, the biggest franchise in the game, with the most history and the air of class would keep letting this guy ham up all the calls.

And No this isn't a "hate everything about the Yankees thread" as I actually like the tv presentation with Kay and Cone and the rest of the guys, its just that hearing replays of the calls I get shivers for how cheesy they sound and wonder why he can't just call a game without all the gimmicks.

So do any of you out there really enjoy him or do the Yanks just enjoy torturing everyone knowing they will listen if they have to?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't listen to him so.......

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    John Sterling has been the Yankees' radio voice since 1989, that is, for TWENTY FREAKING YEARS.

Sterling started when the Yanks were awful. The Yanks were 74-87, 67-95, 71-91 & 76-86 in his first 4 seasons broadcasting. So Sterling has been through the very worst and very best of what the Yanks have been in the last 20 years.

He maybe annoying to some (or many), but the Yanks won't touch him because he now means tradition and the one thing the Yankee hierarchy loves is tradition.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    He maybe annoying to some (or many), but the Yanks won't touch him because he now means tradition and the one thing the Yankee hierarchy loves is tradition.
    I would agree, except that they seem content to wait for Bob Shepard to pass away before recognizing him.

Not a mention, except for Dereks pre-recorded intro, this season.

And there is Sterling, the buffoon, quoting himself at the Yankee parade.

It's evident to me the "Boss" is no more. He is alive, but totally out of it and not involved. The suits left in his place have no clue.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I would agree, except that they seem content to wait for Bob Shepard to pass away before recognizing him.

Sheppard has a plaque in Monument Park since 2000.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    To put it in terms that might make it easier...

Yankee fans who like Sterling are similar to Jets fans who like Titans uniform.

Scattered, rare and can't explain why.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Sterling is a joke. Waldman makes it that much worse. I readily admit that as a Yankees fan.

TV isn't much better with the revolving door of former players (some better than others) anchored by the god awful michael kay. (who incorrectly calls things "ironic" every game. and he was a journalist supposedly...)

I truly miss Jim Kaat who was the best TV color commentator in the business.

But going back further, has not been the same since Frank Messer, Bill White and the Scooter did the games on TV and radio.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Said like his brutal trademark call:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, a THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUSAND TIMES, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad some of you guys can take off the pinstripe glasses and give an honest opinion.

And I know I am biased but I really enjoy the Mets radio commentators Howie Rose and the SNY broadcast with Darling and Hernandez rotating in. Shockingly enough I have heard Francessa praise these guys too. Thats what I consider ideal but I will readily admit the homeristic views that Hernandez pumps out every now and then.

Hopefully Sterling just retires soon so they get someone in their that makes the broadcast listenable.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    No.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

Sheppard has a plaque in Monument Park since 2000.

Yes.

Yes he does.

I merely meant it is clear he is very ill or infirm and is not coming back, maybe a little "get well Bob" between giving Hideki's translator and the traveling secretary their keys to the city, perhaps while he is alive and might hear it.

Thats all I meant.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do like him because I find him entertaining, but I can understand why someone wouldn't like him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Danza View Post
    Glad some of you guys can take off the pinstripe glasses and give an honest opinion.

And I know I am biased but I really enjoy the Mets radio commentators Howie Rose and the SNY broadcast with Darling and Hernandez rotating in. Shockingly enough I have heard Francessa praise these guys too. Thats what I consider ideal but I will readily admit the homeristic views that Hernandez pumps out every now and then.

Hopefully Sterling just retires soon so they get someone in their that makes the broadcast listenable.
    Sterling is pure comedy and if you understand that then you can actually like him, he is not a good play by play man, but is funny.

I actually enjoy darling and hernandez as well, they work well together, however I cannot stand Cohen IMO he is as big a homer as Sterling but pretends like he is not..

some of the Yes color guys are decent as well like Flaherty, Singleton and Cone...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Sterling is a joke. Waldman makes it that much worse. I readily admit that as a Yankees fan.

TV isn't much better with the revolving door of former players (some better than others) anchored by the god awful michael kay. (who incorrectly calls things "ironic" every game. and he was a journalist supposedly...)

I truly miss Jim Kaat who was the best TV color commentator in the business.

But going back further, has not been the same since Frank Messer, Bill White and the Scooter did the games on TV and radio.
    I loved Scooter. That guy was hilarious.

With Sterling, I remember him doing games when the Yankees were bad, and he was pained watching them lose every day. He cared about the team, and he loves it now that they are good.

To me, he had become a cariacature of himself. What he did out of emotion in the beginning, now has become bloated and routine.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love Sterling. Is he a great play by play guy? of course not but he cracks me up whenever I listen to him. You can't take hims seriously or you'll hate him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    I love Sterling. Is he a great play by play guy? of course not but he cracks me up whenever I listen to him. You can't take hims seriously or you'll hate him.
    The problem with Sterling is that if you get in the car and want to hear the score of the game you have to wait 20 minutes before he's done with his stupid story about Reggie Jackson's jock strap or Joe Torre's favorite movie. If he actually talked about what was going on on the field he'd be ok.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    this is the big problem. if sterling was teamed with someone better then he would not be that bad. 2 annoying people doing the game makes it unlistenable

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    The problem with Sterling is that if you get in the car and want to hear the score of the game you have to wait 20 minutes before he's done with his stupid story about Reggie Jackson's jock strap or Joe Torre's favorite movie. If he actually talked about what was going on on the field he'd be ok.
    Do you expect him to say the score over and over again? there's alot of downtime in baseball games. It would be really boring if he just called the play by play and nothing else.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    If he actually talked about what was going on on the field he'd be ok.
    Better yet, iffin he actually knew what was going on on the field....

Its one thing for a TV guy to blow a play by play because we can clearly see what is happening....Sterling as a radio guy has a duty to get it right before he babbles some incorrect HR call that is really a double off the wall or nestled safely in a fielders glove. He betrays the listener who is experiencing the game through his glazzy, fuzzy eyes.

Either he is too quick on pulling out his signature call or he just cant see anymore or both, but we deserve better.