Thread: SI: Yankees looking at Lackey

SI: Yankees looking at Lackey

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0WOkuufME

Yankees looking at Lackey

By Jon Heyman, SI.com

CHICAGO -- The world champion Yankees have top free-agent pitcher John Lackey on their free-agent shopping list, sources said. The Yankees aren't expected to be as aggressive this winter on the free market as last offseason and they haven't firmed up all their plans as yet, but one league source said of Lackey, "He's definitely on their radar.''

Word is that the Yankees probably will be willing to repeat A.J. Burnett's $82.5 million, five-year contract for Lackey. Although, one person close to Lackey -- whose offer to stay with the Angels this spring was for less than $40 million over three years on top of this year's $10 million salary -- indicated the longtime Angels right-hander sees himself in a higher echelon than Burnett. Lackey was 11-8 with a 3.83 ERA for the Angels last year and has been their ace for some of his eight seasons there.

Even if postseason hero Andy Pettitte returns to the Yankees -- and he told a few teammates he believes he'll come back for one more year, though there's no definitive word on this -- the Yankees envision themselves looking at the starting-pitching market since they are uncertain whether Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes will start or work out of the bullpen next year.

The Yankees used a three-man rotation in the playoffs out of necessity.

The Yankees come into the winter more set than usual, but they are aided by a terrific financial year, a rise in the luxury-tax threshold from $162 million to $170 million and a trio of high-paid players potentially coming off the books -- though they'd like Pettitte to come back, and are considering scenarios whereby both Hideki Matsui and Johnny Damon return, as well.

They love both players, but Matsui's return may be somewhat dependent on how his latest knee surgery goes and whether he can play some outfield next year. If they don't believe Matsui can play some outfield, they will look for another outfielder to replace him.

Yankees people always have liked Lackey, but they were especially impressed by the toughness he showed in this year's American League playoffs. Lackey was seen on camera begging Angels manager Mike Scioscia to leave him in Game 5. "The Yankees think Lackey is a bulldog,'' the league source said.

Word has been going around that Lackey, a product of Abilene, Texas, has some extra interest in going home to play, though some have suggested they don't expect a hometown discount for the Texas teams. The Rangers' top priority is a No. 1 pitcher and they have liked Lackey for a long time, but it's hard to know what their chances are with their ownership situation in limbo. The Red Sox, Dodgers and incumbent Angels would appear to be some other possible landing spots for Lackey, as well.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-09-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Oh boy...Mets fans (And those sympathetic to the small market teams) are gonna love this thread.

Here's your chance Mets...its time to pay up or shut up.

(He's either going to the Yankees, Boston or Texas, IMO).

Not sure about Lackey, but boy oh boy would our rotation be sick for next season and be in position for a repeat.

1-Sabathia
    2-Lackey
    3-Burnett
    4-Petitte
    5-Chamberlain or Hughes

Can never have too many starting pitchers, though I'm not sure if I like going after Lackey or not, guess it depends on how much because that rotation up top is another championship rotation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Lackey, little younger than Burnett, much more consistent. But I don't see the Yanks throwing him more money than they gave AJ last year, which is what it will take.

The Yankees will keep themselves in the mix with no serious intention of signing him simply to drive his price up for the teams that really want him. Good distraction too, for whatever else they're quietly going to focus on.

Banned
    This could just be window dressing in order to maintain leverage in negotiations with Andy. Lackey would be nice but he's not worth $82 million.

At the GM meetings they think that the Yankees end up with Lackey too. One GM even saying that if they get Lackey that it could be the start of another Dynasty.

I'd like to have him, but I don't see the Yanks getting him. I think the Yanks will be willing to give him a Burnett type contract, just like the article says, but another team will be willing to up that offer.

But, if he does end up for the Yanks, that is a GREAT rotation. That would put them in prime position for a repeat.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by morite View Post
    Oh boy...Mets fans (And those sympathetic to the small market teams) are gonna love this thread.

Here's your chance Mets...its time to pay up or shut up.

(He's either going to the Yankees, Boston or Texas, IMO).
    Why, precisely? You're saying either we overpay for Lackey or we stop complaining that other teams plan on doing the same? How is that logical?

Not the biggest Lackey fan myself. He's a good pitcher, but I don't think we need him. Personally I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Harden on a 1 year deal and go into the 2010 season with a rotation of:

CC
    AJ
    Pettitte
    Joba
    Hughes
    Harden

Figuring out the 8th inning (Robertson is my guy) will also be key.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    This could just be window dressing in order to maintain leverage in negotiations with Andy. Lackey would be nice but he's not worth $82 million.
    AJ is worth 80 but Lackey isn't worth 82...

According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, people in the Mets' organization are concerned about John Lackey's past arm issues and are likely to stay way.
    The free agent right-hander won't have any trouble finding interest from other big spenders. The Yankees are "definitely interested," according to Heyman, and plenty of other teams will be tuned in on negotiations. Lackey went 11-8 this season with a 3.83 ERA, 1.27 WHIP and 139 strikeouts in 176 1/3 innings. He's had some elbow and triceps issues, but has only made two actual trips to the disabled list in his seven-year career.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Mets seem to have the same concerns that I do. I'll say for the record that I'd be absolutely shocked if the Yankees made a real effort to sign Lackey. Of course I didn't think we'd sign Tex last year after trading for Swisher and signing CC and AJ, but there was more of a need for that.

I tend to agree.....one of the main reasons I was never really all that high on Lackey was his arm issues each of the past couple Aprils. Long-Term deals to pitchers are risky enough as is, If I'm going to do so, I want guys with pretty clean injury histories going in, especially when it comes to their throwing arm.

Although then again, I hated Burnett last offseason for the same reasons, and he managed to stay healthy for you guys last year...... still 4 more years to go though.

The one thing with Burnett is he hadn't had a major injury since his TJ surgery that was 5 years ago. Yeah, he had his nicks and pains, and they caused him to sit out, but nothing major. Plus he was coming off a 100% healthy year, which is more than we can say for Lackey.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    The one thing with Burnett is he hadn't had a major injury since his TJ surgery that was 5 years ago. Yeah, he had his nicks and pains, and they caused him to sit out, but nothing major. Plus he was coming off a 100% healthy year, which is more than we can say for Lackey.
    I don't know, I consider starting 20, 21, and 25 games in a 4 year span more then just "nicks and pains", but that's just me.

I'm all for adding John Lackey. I think he's more reliable #2 than A.J. Burnett.

CC Sabathia
    John Lackey
    A.J. Burnett
    Andy Pettitte
    Phil Hughes

Mariano Rivera
    Joba Chamberlain
    Damaso Marte
    David Robertson
    Phil Coke
    Alfredo Aceves
    Mark Melancon

That's a great piching staff.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-10-2009 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I don't know, I consider starting 20, 21, and 25 games in a 4 year span more then just "nicks and pains", but that's just me.
    I believe the 20 was when he was coming off TJ surgery and missed the start of the season. The 21 and 25 were nicks and pains when he was with Toronto. He did not have a major injury with them. We'll see how it goes for him, but fact is pretty much every non-Yankee fan said that Burnett only stays healthy in his contract year and that was proven false in year 1 with the Yanks.