Thread: Tigers trying to deal Edwin Jackson

Tigers trying to deal Edwin Jackson

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/1...;s-GM-meetings

Sources: Tigers trying to deal All-Star Jackson — 7:02 p.m.

Edwin Jackson was an All-Star pitcher for the Tigers this year. He looked like one of the great acquisitions in baseball for most of the season a starter who pitched deep into games and wouldn't become a free agent until 2011.

Now?

The Tigers have made Jackson available on the trade market as part of an effort to alleviate their payroll crunch, multiple major league sources told FOXSports.com
    I don't get this, Jackson doesn't have a huge contract. He got $2.2 million in 2009, though will obviously get raise in arbitration.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-10-2009 at 07:28 PM.

If they really want to lower payroll, how about sending us over Curtis Granderson.

2010:$5.5M
    2011:$8.25M
    2012:$10M
    2013:$13M club option ($2M buyout)

I'm sure the Yankees would love to take that contract off the Tigers hands and plug Granderson in CF, and finally end this whole CF fiasco in the Bronx.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-10-2009 at 07:37 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Wow... what would we have to give up to get Granderson and Jackson... if I had to choose one, though, I'd much rather it be Jackson. Wanna see what Gardner and Austin can do with some real playing time before shelling out big bucks. If we bring back Damon, I think we can afford to give the younger guys that are already here a chance.

Edwin Jackson made 2.2 million last year, even if you want to project a salary raise to 5-6 million, that's still a bargain for what he gave you. Looking to deal Jackson to save salary is an ass-backwards strategy. He's one of the players you need to be holding onto to be competitive at a lower salary.

(Hell, they wouldn't have been in this problem had they not foolishly gave Magglio Ordonez enough AB's for his option to vest).

(On another side note, I never realized how many bad contracts they had until recently, Magglio, Bonderman, Robertson, Willis, Guillen, ect).

Now, I could see them thinking some regression is due, but that's not the reason they gave. Either way, this is something the Mets should be all over. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    If they really want to lower payroll, how about sending us over Curtis Granderson.

2010:$5.5M
    2011:$8.25M
    2012:$10M
    2013:$13M club option ($2M buyout)

I'm sure the Yankees would love to take that contract off the Tigers hands and plug Granderson in CF, and finally end this whole CF fiasco in the Bronx.
    ESPN had a rumor about that, I would love to make a trade for Granderson. Gives us a young CFer who is a real CFer (Melky is more made for corner OF

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt245 View Post
    Wow... what would we have to give up to get Granderson and Jackson... if I had to choose one, though, I'd much rather it be Jackson. Wanna see what Gardner and Austin can do with some real playing time before shelling out big bucks. If we bring back Damon, I think we can afford to give the younger guys that are already here a chance.
    For both? I would give them anyone not named Montero and Romine.

You can have Austin Jackson, Melky or Gardner, Zach McAllister, Ian Kennedy, and whatever low level prospect you want.

would love jackson and/or granderson...granderson is "winning" type ball player..

Banned
    The Tigers can't be serious.

Well this is a bit surprising. I'm sure they can get good value for him, but still. There's quite the list of guys you would see them moving before Jackson.

I don't even think it's a bad idea if they can get a nice haul.

Jets Insider VIP
    Edwin Jackson's value will never be higher than it is right now. If some team is convinced he's a young, cheap ace and will throw a haul at the Tigers for him then why not? I suspect the Tigers suspect what I suspect: that Jackson pitched a bit over his head last season and may regress.

Any team that likes Jackson has noticed this.

2007: 5.76 ERA, 1.75 WHIP

2008: 4.42 ERA, 1.50 WHIP

2009: 3.62 ERA, 1.26 WHIP

He's improved after the last 2 seasons.