Thread: Police respond to suicide call at the home of former New York Yankees closer John Wet

Police respond to suicide call at the home of former New York Yankees closer John Wet

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...de_report.html

Police respond to suicide call at the home of former New York Yankees closer John Wetteland
    BY Roger Rubin
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Originally Published:Thursday, November 12th 2009, 6:08 PM
    Updated: Thursday, November 12th 2009, 7:18 PM

Abrams/Getty
    Former Yankees closer John Wetteland was hospitalized after police responded to a suicide call from his Texas home.

lennihan/AP/AP
    Wetteland raises his hand in celebration after helping the Bombers clinch first World Series title since 1978. Related News
    Articles
    Contract showdown looms for Yanks, Jeter
    Mets try to dump Castillo, eye Hudson, Figgins
    Agent: Japan isn't option for Matsui
    Voice of the People for Nov. 12, 2009
    Clemens lawyers push to KO suit

John Wetteland, the Yankees All-Star closer who was the MVP of the 1996 World Series, has been hospitalized in Denton, Texas, after contemplating a suicide attempt. Law enforcement officials said there were no injuries.

According to the Denton County Sheriff's office a woman at Wetteland's home called to request help and police from Bartonville, Tx., and Argyle, Tx., were dispatched.

"She said he was complaining of being depressed and contemplating suicide," Sgt. Roger Griggs of the Denton County Sheriff's office said.

Police that arrived on the scene telephoned into the house and the former pitcher and current bullpen coach for the Seattle Mariners came out. "He said he wanted help," Griggs said. "He requested to be taken to the hospital."

Griggs speculated the caller was his wife Michele.

The Yankees acquired Wetteland from the Montreal Expos at the start of the 2005 season. He went 1-5 with a 2.93 ERA and 31 saves, but faltered badly in the postseason. The Bombers were looking to clinch in Game 4 of the division series against Seattle and Wetteland was called into a 6-6 game. He gave up a walk, a hit and hit a batter before Ken Griffey Jr. hit a grand slam. In three appearances during the series he had a 14.54 ERA.

He was the flip side the next season, making his first All-Star Game and finishing with a league-leading 43 saves. In the postseason he pitched in 12 games and recorded a record seven saves. He saved all four games in the World Series against the Braves and induced Mark Lemke into the series-ending foul pop to third baseman Charlie Hayes.

Wetteland was a free agent at the end of the that season and the Yanks elected not to bring him back because they felt Mariano Rivera ready to take over the closer role.

He played through the 2000 season, was an All-Star twice more with the Texas Rangers and his 330 saves rank 11th on the all-time career list.

dam hope he gets better

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

He was the sh*t in '96.....

Mariano was just an unimaginable speck on the horizon.

We are all so fragile, even the heroes, I hope he gets all the help he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    He was the sh*t in '96.....

Mariano was just an unimaginable speck on the horizon.

We are all so fragile, even the heroes, I hope he gets all the help he needs.
    Papelbon kinda reminds me of Wetteland, he always gave you a scare, but got the job done (Minus Papelbon in this years ALDS)

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Papelbon kinda reminds me of Wetteland, he always gave you a scare, but got the job done (Minus Papelbon in this years ALDS)
    Yeah, but Wettland on the Yankees was nothing but a class act.

All League
    Depression is horrible.

As 32 stated, I hope he seeks and obtains help...

Get well soon, John...

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Papelbon kinda reminds me of Wetteland
    Never.

Don't tarnish Wetteland with comparisons to AnusMouth.

GL Wetteland call on Yankee Universe anytime necessary.