Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: I wonder if the Yankees have any interest in Nick Johnson

  1. #1

    I wonder if the Yankees have any interest in Nick Johnson

    Another left handed bat, real good obp, good average. He would replace Matsui at DH, but I don't think he's a #5 hitter, he fits better in the #2 slot, so he could replace Damon in the lineup.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Another left handed bat, real good obp, good average. He would replace Matsui at DH, but I don't think he's a #5 hitter, he fits better in the #2 slot, so he could replace Damon in the lineup.
    Only problem is he gets hurt a lot..maybe the dh not so much wear and tear

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    I think they may end up keeping DH open for Posada/Jeter/Arod.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    I think they may end up keeping DH open for Posada/Jeter/Arod.
    I don't see the need to do that this year - plus it really hurts the team whenever any of those guys DH.

    Anyways, Nick Johnson wouldn't block the DH spot because he wouldn't necessarily DH everyday. Nor would Matsui for that matter, which is why I think they should re-sign him with the idea that he'll DH 120 games next year.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I don't see the need to do that this year - plus it really hurts the team whenever any of those guys DH.

    Anyways, Nick Johnson wouldn't block the DH spot because he wouldn't necessarily DH everyday. Nor would Matsui for that matter, which is why I think they should re-sign him with the idea that he'll DH 120 games next year.
    I think Matsui is done as an outfielder. Even if he doesn't get injured he'd be such a liability in Left Field.

    When Posada DH's it may hurt us offensively but helps us defensively.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    I think Matsui is done as an outfielder. Even if he doesn't get injured he'd be such a liability in Left Field.

    When Posada DH's it may hurt us offensively but helps us defensively.
    The upgrade from Posada's defense to Cervelli's defense doesn't come anywhere close to equal the upgrade from Cervelli's offense to Posada's.

    Just like the Red Sox are smart enough to have Victor Martinez be their everyday catcher next year (who isn't as good as Posada is defensively), the Yankees better be smart enough to keep Posada as their catcher until he can't play the position anymore.

    As much as I like Cervelli, I really don't need a guy that would (most likely) hit like a pitcher in the Yankee lineup on a constant basis. Hell, we saw that in 2008 and it put us right out of the playoffs.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    The upgrade from Posada's defense to Cervelli's defense doesn't come anywhere close to equal the upgrade from Cervelli's offense to Posada's.

    Just like the Red Sox are smart enough to have Victor Martinez be their everyday catcher next year (who isn't as good as Posada is defensively), the Yankees better be smart enough to keep Posada as their catcher until he can't play the position anymore.

    As much as I like Cervelli, I really don't need a guy that would (most likely) hit like a pitcher in the Yankee lineup on a constant basis. Hell, we saw that in 2008 and it put us right out of the playoffs.
    We missed the playoffs in 2008 becausse we had no starting pitching outside of Mike Mussina and part of why he was able to win 20 games was because of Jose Molina's defense. I understand your point about Posada and Cervelli - yes Posada is a way better hitter but our pitchers like AJ and Joba have been better with Cervelli catching.

    We'll see what happens. They can't really go wrong ether way really. If they get a DH I'd much rather resign Matsui to 1 year deal then cave in to Boras's demands for a mult-year deal for Damon.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    We missed the playoffs in 2008 becausse we had no starting pitching outside of Mike Mussina and part of why he was able to win 20 games was because of Jose Molina's defense. I understand your point about Posada and Cervelli - yes Posada is a way better hitter but our pitchers like AJ and Joba have been better with Cervelli catching.

    We'll see what happens. They can't really go wrong ether way really. If they get a DH I'd much rather resign Matsui to 1 year deal then cave in to Boras's demands for a mult-year deal for Damon.
    Joba just sucked near the end of the season, no matter who was catching him. AJ will have to get more comfortable with Posada, and it's not like he's not inconsistent with Molina. Hell, we saw him be as inconsistent as ever in these playoffs with Molina.

    As for 2008, sure, there were a number of reasons, but Posada and his usual .360 OBP and .480-.500 SLG being replaced with a guy that hit a truly amazingly bad .216/.263/.313 was probably the #1 reason.

    I think the Yankees understand the importance of having a great hitter catch which is why they draft so many catchers high in the draft every year, and sign a bunch of international catchers.

    Fact is, Posada can still catch so he should.

  9. #9
    I have no idea why Damon is an option. It's so much smarter to have Matsui as a DH/bat off the bench, and let the young OFers play. I also have a unnatural hate of Johnny Damon.

    They would have loved getting Hermida if it didn't happen so suddenly. Plug him in RF with that short port and watch Paul O'Neil 2.0.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    I have no idea why Damon is an option. It's so much smarter to have Matsui as a DH/bat off the bench, and let the young OFers play. I also have a unnatural hate of Johnny Damon.
    Because Damon is a great table setter who doesn't shrivel up in big spots. His defense has really deteriorated, but the guy can hit. I know he'll always be knowing for being apart of those "idiots" that broke "curse" up in Boston, but I'll always remember him for that epic at bat in Game 5 and amazing heads up play on the double steal.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-15-2009 at 02:10 AM.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    They would have loved getting Hermida if it didn't happen so suddenly. Plug him in RF with that short port and watch Paul O'Neil 2.0.
    Brad Hawpe is a better option.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Brad Hawpe is a better option.
    Hermida is the younger, more athletic, higher upside, cheaper option. Therefore, the better option.

    The Red Sox got him for two guys who might turn into one LOOGY.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    Hermida is the younger, more athletic, higher upside, cheaper option. Therefore, the better option.

    The Red Sox got him for two guys who might turn into one LOOGY.
    Higher upside? Maybe a few years ago when he was a big time prospect, but I'd say his possible upside has taken a serious hit. I mean, if everything worked out for Hermida maybe he could become the hitter that Hawpe is.

    How you could say that Hermida and his career .769 OPS, including an OPS last year of .740, is a better option than Hawpe and his .875 career OPS including a .903 OPS last year, is beyond me.

    Saying that, I'd have liked if we had gotten Hermida.

  14. #14
    Hermida played in Pro Player and is turning 26. He's going to Fenway, and woulda/coulda/shoulda went to Yankee Stadium or Wrigley.

    Hawpe plays in Coors, and while he can hit he offers no defensive value. Going by Prospectus' DT cards, Hermida does. I'm actually jealous the Red Sox made that move.

  15. #15
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    ... and I'll always remember Matsui for that epic WS performance in Game 6 to clinch #27 (HR and 6 of the 7 RBI's)

    To me Matsui and Damon are both DH's at this point, only if both guys are healthy Matsui is the more dangerous hitter in my view, who hits lefties and good pitchers as well as he hits righties and mediocre or poor pitchers

    I also believe Matsui can be re-signed for less years and less money
    Maybe so but Damon can be the DH and 4th outfielder. Matsui cannot.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    Hermida played in Pro Player and is turning 26. He's going to Fenway, and woulda/coulda/shoulda went to Yankee Stadium or Wrigley.

    Hawpe plays in Coors, and while he can hit he offers no defensive value. Going by Prospectus' DT cards, Hermida does. I'm actually jealous the Red Sox made that move.
    Well Hermida had a .769 OPS on the road last year, which isn't exactly great. Hawpe had an .890 OPS on the road last year, which is quite good.

    All I'm saying is that chances are Hermida will not become the hitter Hawpe is. But you are right about their defensive values - I was unaware how bad Hawpe supposedly is. Given that fact, I don't see much of a reason to trade for him since he'd be better off as a DH and there are plenty of DH options that we can sign that wouldn't cost us any players.

    I liked the Hermida move too. I would have been very happy had we gotten him. But he's probably not good enough to start in LF.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Maybe so but Damon can be the DH and 4th outfielder. Matsui cannot.
    True but would you rather Damon at 2/$22M or Matsui at 1/$8M? I'm leaning towards the latter with the idea of trading for a LFer or Granderson.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Well Hermida had a .769 OPS on the road last year, which isn't exactly great. Hawpe had an .890 OPS on the road last year, which is quite good.

    All I'm saying is that chances are Hermida will not become the hitter Hawpe is. But you are right about their defensive values - I was unaware how bad Hawpe supposedly is. Given that fact, I don't see much of a reason to trade for him since he'd be better off as a DH and there are plenty of DH options that we can sign that wouldn't cost us any players.

    I liked the Hermida move too. I would have been very happy had we gotten him. But he's probably not good enough to start in LF.
    1. Hermida was also hurt. Over his career his road OPS is .815.

    2. I don't deny Hawpe's bat.

    3. I'm saying is that at 26, entering the AL, entering a good hitters park (which Yankee Stadium is also), that Hermida is more likely to go up than down. His status as a prospect just a few years ago says that upside is pretty significant.

    4. Hawpe still offers no kind of glove in the OF.

    5. You'd be paying way more for Hawpe.

    But yea, generally we agree...I just put more trust in Hermida's upside than you do. I like his swing, approach, and upside, especially in an AL hitters park.

    Hawpe is safer, which is why he'd be way more expensive. I really don't think he's all that amazing of an idea for the Yankees. It's basically replacing Matsui, which I don't really see the point of doing. All bat and no glove...but Matsui wouldn't cost prospects.
    Last edited by Chica me Tipo; 11-16-2009 at 07:23 PM.

  19. #19
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    I also believe Matsui can be re-signed for less years and less money
    I see Matsui going back to Japan on a high note before he accepts a low ball offer from the Yanks. I wouldnt begrudge him a thing either.

    Btw, Nick Johnson just broke his pinky reading this thread.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us