Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolans golfed with Bruno to kill W/S stadium deal.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Dolans golfed with Bruno to kill W/S stadium deal.

Didnt see this posted, feel free to merge if there's another one buried in the four pages of hysterics.

Iffin you enjoy becoming apoplectic at the thought of Albany politics and the Dolans, this will do the trick for you this a.m. :yes:

[B][SIZE="5"]Joe Bruno golf outing with Cablevision's Jim Dolan may have derailed West Side Stadium plan[/SIZE][/B]

[B]BY Glenn Blain

DAILY NEWS ALBANY BUREAU

Sunday, November 15th 2009, 4:00 AM

ALBANY - Mayor Bloomberg's doomed West Side Stadium plan land may have landed in the rough on an upstate golf course.

Documents at former Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno's corruption trial indicate Bruno's lobbyist son set up a 2005 golf outing with his father and Cablevision's Jim Dolan - who was trying to kill the stadium deal.

The outing seems to contradict statements both Brunos gave at the time that the son never directly lobbied the father on matters before the state.

"This is all set for Thursday, April 28th. ... You will be having lunch at Troy Country Club at noon and teeing off at 1:00 p.m.," Bruno staff member Amy Leitch wrote in the April 15, 2005, memo to her boss.

"I am not sure how this relates to any prohibitions that Ken may have, and I wouldn't want someone to see you, Ken & Jim Dolan on the golf course and question the ethics of the situation."

Bruno's son, Kenneth, was part of a high-powered lobbying team Cablevision assembled to defeat the stadium plan. Cablevision owns Madison Square Garden.

The golf outing was three months before the state's Public Authorities Control Board - a panel controlled by then-Gov. George Pataki, Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and Bruno - defeated the $1.9 billion stadium project.

The project required the board's unanimous approval. Reps for Silver and Bruno abstained, killing the project.

"It's stunning," said Blair Horner of the New York Public Interest Research Group of the memo. "This document reveals the seamy side of Albany."

Kris Thompson, a spokesman for the elder Bruno, declined to comment, citing the ongoing trial.

Kenneth Bruno, who gave up his lobbying business in late 2005, did not respond to requests for comment.

"We don't comment on legal proceedings," added Cablevision spokesman Charles Schueler.

Federal prosecutors have charged that Joseph Bruno defrauded the public of "honest services" by exploiting his status as one of New York's most powerful officials to garner nearly $3.2 million in consulting fees.

Bruno has pleaded not guilty and claimed he's the victim of overzealous prosecutors.[/B]

[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/11/15/2009-11-15_joe_bruno_golf_outing_with_cablevisions_jim_dolan_may_have_derailed_west_side_st.html[/url]
    Last edited by 32green; 11-16-2009 at 09:22 AM.

No surprise...

The Dolans didn't want that stadium and they had Silver and Bruno in their pockets.

Francesa didn't want the stadium either because he was just afraid the Jets would then take over as New York's football team instead of the Giants.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[IMG]http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/content/Image/06-18-2008/Jay-Cross.jpg[/IMG]

Woody's biggest mistake was hiring this fool.

[QUOTE=jetswin;3358836][IMG]http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/content/Image/06-18-2008/Jay-Cross.jpg[/IMG]

Woody's biggest mistake was hiring this fool.[/QUOTE]

He had nothing to do with the failure of the stadium... Dolan simply had important (corrupt) people in his pocket.

I'm happy they didn't end up in Queens so they wouldn't get lumped together with the ****ty Mets.

The Jets fought a battle they couldn't win.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3358839]He had nothing to do with the failure of the stadium...[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.psychologytoday.com/files/u316/HumourLaughingKitten.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3358834]No surprise...

The Dolans didn't want that stadium and they had Silver and Bruno in their pockets.

Francesa didn't want the stadium either because he was just afraid the Jets would then take over as New York's football team instead of the Giants.[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt that,half of the current fan base sucks as it is...they don't know football,don't show up on time,sit on their hands, leave early, cry about paying for a seat, and think that the team is either going to the Superbowl or that Sanchez sucks....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3358836][IMG]http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/content/Image/06-18-2008/Jay-Cross.jpg[/IMG]

Woody's biggest mistake was hiring this fool.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Woody should have spent his money wisely--buying off Silver and Bruno.

I would say that both Silver & Bruno are a disgrace to NY politics, but NY politics is a disgrace unto itself.

Incidently (hate to bring politics in it but that POS Silver is involved), it's amazing (but not surprising) that Silver is AGAINST Kendra's law and he wants to protect drunk drivers.

There's few people I've never met that I loathe, and Silver is one of them.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

What is it they say? Follow the money?:rolleyes:

I bet there is a pretty obvious trail from the Dolans Bank account to the coffers of these miscreants if anyone had the time and wherewithall to sniff around.

SMC and JW are correct, Woody brought a knife to a gun fight.

His money is just as green as the Doosh duo Dolan's, but he put it in the wrong place.

Cant say I would have wanted him to go the Dolans route though, wrong is wrong, bribery is bribery.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Apache 51;3358861]I highly doubt that,half of the current fan base sucks as it is...they don't know football,don't show up on time,sit on their hands, leave early, cry about paying for a seat, and think that the team is either going to the Superbowl or that Sanchez sucks....[/QUOTE]

And the other half are blowhard know-it-alls who spend all their time *****ing about the fanbase.

The West Side stadium was a scam from Day One. Remember how it was supposed to be for the Olympics? That was Woody's PR cr*pola. And remember Bloomberg was in on it too in one of their billionaire-gets-taxpayer-money scams. Could you imagine how that would look now given the current economy, tax-payer money going to build a stadium for Woody the billionaire?

Who still thinks using a billion dollars of tax money to build a stadium for Woody Johnson would be a good idea when the city and state budgets are being slashed, when public school teachers are getting fired, when fire houses are being closed?

Shelley Silver might've killed the stadium for the wrong reasons but thank G-d he did.

[I]Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 [/I]
    No surprise...

Francesa didn't want the stadium either because he was just afraid the Jets would then take over as New York's football team instead of the Giants.

[I]Originally Posted by Apache 51[/I]
    I highly doubt that,half of the current fan base sucks as it is...they don't know football,don't show up on time,sit on their hands, leave early, cry about paying for a seat, and think that the team is either going to the Superbowl or that Sanchez sucks....

WTF is Francesa doing in this thread?

[QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3358857][IMG]http://www.psychologytoday.com/files/u316/HumourLaughingKitten.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

The west side's failure lied with one simple fact.

Dolan owned Silver and Bruno.

There is nothing else that is at fault, except for maybe even trying. But it's tough to blame Woody and the team for that.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3358937]The west side's failure lied with one simple fact.

Dolan owned Silver and Bruno.

There is nothing else that is at fault, except for maybe even trying. But it's tough to blame Woody and the team for that.[/QUOTE]

The secret to success is knowing who to blame for your failures.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3358839]He had nothing to do with the failure of the stadium... Dolan simply had important (corrupt) people in his pocket.

I'm happy they didn't end up in Queens so they wouldn't get lumped together with [B]the ****ty Mets.[/B]

The Jets fought a battle they couldn't win.[/QUOTE]

What do the Mets have to do with this? That was a cheap shot azzhole. :mad:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=regen;3358932]The West Side stadium was a scam from Day One. Remember how it was supposed to be for the Olympics? That was Woody's PR cr*pola. And remember Bloomberg was in on it too in one of their billionaire-gets-taxpayer-money scams. Could you imagine how that would look now given the current economy, tax-payer money going to build a stadium for Woody the billionaire?

[B]Who still thinks using a billion dollars of tax money to build a stadium for Woody Johnson would be a good idea when the city and state budgets are being slashed, when public school teachers are getting fired, when fire houses are being closed?

Shelley Silver might've killed the stadium for the wrong reasons but thank G-d he did[/B].[/QUOTE]

So, aside from not generating the jobs, tax revenue, etc. that the WSS would have, how is that land right NOW benefiting the city and community? I ask because I simply don't know. Did they end up building schools, hospitals and churches on it?

Jets Insider VIP
    I didn't think it was possible for me to hate the Dolans' any more than I already do.

I was wrong. And I added Bruno to the doosh list. :mad:

[QUOTE=regen;3358932]The West Side stadium was a scam from Day One. Remember how it was supposed to be for the Olympics? That was Woody's PR cr*pola. And remember Bloomberg was in on it too in one of their billionaire-gets-taxpayer-money scams. Could you imagine how that would look now given the current economy, tax-payer money going to build a stadium for Woody the billionaire?

Who still thinks using a billion dollars of tax money to build a stadium for Woody Johnson would be a good idea when the city and state budgets are being slashed, when public school teachers are getting fired, when fire houses are being closed?

Shelley Silver might've killed the stadium for the wrong reasons but thank G-d he did.[/QUOTE]

Anyone have any idea what kind of money these stadiums generate?

[QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3358945]The secret to success is knowing who to blame for your failures.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you aren't very successful so I'll take that with a grain.

But the bottom line is Dolan had Bruno and Silver in his pocket so nothing else matters. The only thing even worth being discussed is if the Jets should have not even tried for it.

Sry about the Mets thing, I'm a Yanks fan and HATE when people try to lump the Jets together with that baseball team. (And I'll be rooting like hell for the Mets to keep the Phillies out of the playoffs this year)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetsfan1983;3359112]I'm guessing you aren't very successful so I'll take that with a grain.

But the bottom line is Dolan had Bruno and Silver in his pocket so nothing else matters. The only thing even worth being discussed is if the Jets should have not even tried for it.

Sry about the Mets thing, I'm a Yanks fan and HATE when people try to lump the Jets together with that baseball team. (And I'll be rooting like hell for the Mets to keep the Phillies out of the playoffs this year)[/QUOTE]

I love people who are a$$holes for no reason. You seem to do that a lot on thses boards so i won't take it personally.

You choose to believe what you want. You hire incompetent people, you get what you deserve. You go into a situation knowing that 3 people hold all the cards and spend your time and millions of dollars focusing on nonsubstantive factors and NOT those three people -- you end up with the EPIC FAIL as a result.

[QUOTE=SMC;3358871]Yep. Woody should have spent his money wisely--buying off Silver and Bruno.

[B]I would say that both Silver & Bruno are a disgrace to NY politics, but NY politics is a disgrace unto itself.[/B]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutley. The Jets Stadium in Manhattan was doomed thanks to the Dirty Dolans and their personal water boys Silver & Bruno.