Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dolans golfed with Bruno to kill W/S stadium deal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=regen;3358932]The West Side stadium was a scam from Day One. Remember how it was supposed to be for the Olympics? That was Woody's PR cr*pola. And remember Bloomberg was in on it too in one of their billionaire-gets-taxpayer-money scams. Could you imagine how that would look now given the current economy, tax-payer money going to build a stadium for Woody the billionaire?

Who still thinks using a billion dollars of tax money to build a stadium for Woody Johnson would be a good idea when the city and state budgets are being slashed, when public school teachers are getting fired, when fire houses are being closed?

Shelley Silver might've killed the stadium for the wrong reasons but thank G-d he did.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3358975]So, aside from not generating the jobs, tax revenue, etc. that the WSS would have, how is that land right NOW benefiting the city and community? I ask because I simply don't know. Did they end up building schools, hospitals and churches on it?[/QUOTE]

Well stated JS23! The economic downturn hasn't stopped the stadium from being built in NJ, and there is no reason to think the same wouldn't have held true fro the WSS. Everything you said is spot-on. NYC lost jobs and tax revenue, then got bamboozled by Shelley et al., into thinking that [I]builders[/I](!) were going to bail them out by putting up affordable housing!!!! What's there now? The same old rail yard and 0% competition for MSG, and of course, no money for the city. Thank God for Shelley Silver indeed, POS that he is.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shows that corruption is the best investment. Just ask mr. Kraft how well his cash fedexing operation worked.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And it is not possible that the Dolans and Bruno simply wanted to play some golf?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    if tickets in a shared stadium in New Jersey cost 300 bucks a piece, how much would tickets be in a WSS that's Jets-only? 1000? and who would buy these tickets?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3359222]if tickets in a shared stadium in New Jersey cost 300 bucks a piece, how much would tickets be in a WSS that's Jets-only? 1000? and who would buy these tickets?[/QUOTE]
    That's really out of scope here Bit.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Dolans just did the same thing Krafty did when he blackmailed the State of Massachusetts into throwing money at him for his new stadium after he pretended to be negotiating with that corrupt GOP retarded Governor of Connecticut.

The Dolans just took the simpler route by bribing Silver and Bruno directly

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Glenn_G;3359061]Anyone have any idea what kind of money these stadiums generate?[/QUOTE]

Every major economics study has shown that the revenue generated by initial construction never begins to match the long-term tax giveaways.

And besides, the city and state don't have money to give to a billionaire. If it was such a great deal, why didn't Woody get a partner or go to a bank for a loan, explaining how he'll pay it back with all the revenue it generates. That's how business works for the rest of the world.

Guess what? Stadiums are only profitable when the taxpayers shell out and owners get to keep the revenue. Even Kraft paid for his stadium. Don't any of you care that a billionaire was asking for a public hand-out like those greedy bankers and Wall Street D-Bags? You can't complain about them or welfare queens if you back billionaires like Woody getting public assistance.

Cry me a river for Woody. He was born owning one of the biggest privately-held companies in the U.S. And how do you mess up band-aids and baby shampoo? You can't. Woody couldn't stick the taxpayers of NY so he's sticking the fans with PSLs. Either way, he's a greedy SOB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to know who it is to blame for this failure, it is the Jets oranization and Bloomberg. Bloomberg did a horrible job of selling this to the public and instead of calling Dolan out after the bid died like saying "I want to see how fast Dolan buys this land now that he coned everyone into thinking there is a better use for this land than a stadium" he just faded into the wood work like so many politicians, and the Jets for trying to get this thing built on the backs of taxpayers and not funding it himslef which he is basically doing now. I remeber vividly Woody saying "Are we building a stadium or a onvention center?"
    This also brings up that the stadium was part of a bid to expand the Javits expo center so it can compete with places like Las Vegas and N.O.. I don't know if anyone here has ever seen the N.O convention center but it is one of the biggest structures that is one story I have ever seen. Well the expansion of Javits did happen without the stadium which begs the point was this all a ploy by Bloomberg to get the expansion through the back door while everyone was looking at the stadium knocking on the front door.
    All in all it appears there was never a concentric effort to build this thing by Bloomberg or Woody.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jman21;3359259]That's really out of scope here Bit.[/QUOTE]

Explain why he's out of scope.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Glenn_G;3359299]If you want to know who it is to blame for this failure, it is the Jets oranization and Bloomberg. Bloomberg did a horrible job of selling this to the public and instead of calling Dolan out after the bid died like saying "I want to see how fast Dolan buys this land now that he coned everyone into thinking there is a better use for this land than a stadium" he just faded into the wood work like so many politicians, and the Jets for trying to get this thing built on the backs of taxpayers and not funding it himslef which he is basically doing now. I remeber vividly Woody saying "Are we building a stadium or a onvention center?"
    This also brings up that the stadium was part of a bid to expand the Javits expo center so it can compete with places like Las Vegas and N.O.. I don't know if anyone here has ever seen the N.O convention center but it is one of the biggest structures that is one story I have ever seen. Well the expansion of Javits did happen without the stadium which begs the point was this all a ploy by Bloomberg to get the expansion through the back door while everyone was looking at the stadium knocking on the front door.
    All in all it appears there was never a concentric effort to build this thing by Bloomberg or Woody.[/QUOTE]

Think back. The stadium was supposed to be for the Olympics, remember? No Olympics, no stadium. Case closed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=regen;3359305]Explain why he's out of scope.[/QUOTE] Sorry trying to find where the potential price of game day tix was stated in the article. Did I miss it?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EM31;3359208]And it is not possible that the Dolans and Bruno simply wanted to play some golf?[/QUOTE]

:D

Of all the slimy backroom deals and shenanigans that went on during the whole WSS debacle, a round of golf is hardly worthy of mention. As disgusting as I find Bruno and Dolan, the deal wasn't cut in exchange for a free round of golf.

This is a non-story. If a round of golf would have sealed it, Woody should have picked up Bruno in his helicopter and brought him for a round at Batusrol or Canoe Brook. I'm sure those stack up favorably to Troy Country Club, nice as it may be.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=regen;3359313]Think back. The stadium was supposed to be for the Olympics, remember? No Olympics, no stadium. Case closed.[/QUOTE]

Silver and Bruno killed the Stadium before the Olympic nominating committee had chosen a site.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=regen;3359313]Think back. The stadium was supposed to be for the Olympics, remember? No Olympics, no stadium. Case closed.[/QUOTE]

Correct, and the Olympics coming to Manhattan was always a 100:1 long-shot.

All Woody did was roll the dice. No different than buying a bunch of Lotto tickets. He had the money, he had the time, so why not? He'd be foolish [I]not [/I]to. For one brief moment in time, NYC was owed some sympathy by the world, the Jets needed a new stadium, and the Olympic bid needed a plan to make that a reality. The reason Woody didn't get involved in the dirty underbelly of NY politics is because he didn't need to. The Olympic Committee would be his automatic 'in' if the long-shot came home. Once that fell apart, it then was a silly exercise in futility and one "fought" so badly by Woody that it is clear he didn't fight it at all. Made a land-grab attempt to see if he could get lucky on the only terms he could live with and went back to NJ where he belonged when that second long-shot was a no-go too.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Glenn_G;3359367]Silver and Bruno killed the Stadium before the Olympic nominating committee had chosen a site.[/QUOTE]

The sequence doesn't matter. The Olympics was Woody's way around NYC politics. Whether the Dolans killed it first or the IOC killed second it is immaterial. Once the Olympics said "no" it was all over.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3359333]:D

Of all the slimy backroom deals and shenanigans that went on during the whole WSS debacle, a round of golf is hardly worthy of mention. As disgusting as I find Bruno and Dolan, the deal wasn't cut in exchange for a free round of golf.

This is a non-story. If a round of golf would have sealed it, Woody should have picked up Bruno in his helicopter and brought him for a round at Batusrol or Canoe Brook. I'm sure those stack up favorably to Troy Country Club, nice as it may be.[/QUOTE]

Here is what a round of golf can do.
    So Mr. Bruno, about this stadium the Jets and the Mayor want to build, How does free Cable TV, a luxury box at MSG, Tickets to every event at Radio City for the next 20 years, and a nice donation of say (fill in ridiculous amount of money here) to the special interest group of your choice sound?
    All this is done in the middle of a golf course where no one can hear you. It is the perfect place to offer a bribe.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3358975]So, aside from not generating the jobs, tax revenue, etc. that the WSS would have, how is that land right NOW benefiting the city and community? I ask because I simply don't know. Did they end up building schools, hospitals and churches on it?[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_Subway_Extension"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_Subway_Extension[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/hyards/hymain.shtml#vision"]
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/hyards/hymain.shtml#vision[/URL]

[URL="http://www.hydc.org/html/home/home.shtml"]http://www.hydc.org/html/home/home.shtml[/URL]

The links pretty much sums up your questions. There are plans to improve the area. The site is being used to create jobs, improve the area, generate tax revenue and improve our public transportation system. Although, like all Jets fans I'd prefer a stadium. :mad:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats why I root against the knicks and rangers.
    I hope Dolan comes down with something horrible and incurable in the near future.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets1981;3359601]

Although, like all Jets fans I'd prefer a stadium.[/QUOTE]

Well then, you're in luck because the Jets just built you one.

It's 7 miles away, plenty of room for parking, tons of tailgating, and it's gorgeous.

SAR I