Thread: Jon Gruden signs extension with ESPN.

All League

Jon Gruden signs extension with ESPN.

Looks like he likes broadcasting enough to bypass any coaching offers for a few years.

per Mike & Mike.

(Where you at JI Breaking News Ticker!!)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Banks81;3358889]Looks like he likes broadcasting enough to bypass any coaching offers for a few years.

per Mike & Mike.

(Where you at JI Breaking News Ticker!!)[/QUOTE]

Honestly, why wouldn't he? He makes almost as much money, gets to see his family, and works 1/10th the hours with 1/100th of the stress.

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    good for gruden. i like him in the booth. he is much better than that blowhead jaws.

Jaws and Gruden sound very similar in the booth. It's that jaws gushes way too much. Put Rodney Harrison in the booth....

I didn't read the article but I would guess he has some kind of escape clause if the right football job came up.

I do like the guy a lot on MNF. That crew provides a bit of entertainment with their commentary but most important of all they teach you about the game as they commentate. I love listening to coaches dissect plays.

Interesting they announce this before a dog of a game tonight....They need to get some pub.

Veteran
    This is the best thing to happen to MNF in many years. IMO, Gruden belongs in the booth.

[QUOTE=chirorob;3358931]Honestly, why wouldn't he? He makes almost as much money, gets to see his family, and works 1/10th the hours with 1/100th of the stress.[/QUOTE]

Definitely right on the hours and the stress, but I'd have to imagine the money isn't anywhere close. What does he make in the booth, few hundred thou to half a mil?

This is what I chose as my first post on the Strip in a while...:D

[QUOTE=SUJets1988;3359213]Definitely right on the hours and the stress, but I'd have to imagine the money isn't anywhere close. What does he make in the booth, few hundred thou to half a mil?

This is what I chose as my first post on the Strip in a while...:D[/QUOTE]

As Kornheiser just asked on his radio show, isn't Gruden still getting paid by Tampa Bay?

Banned
    [QUOTE=SUJets1988;3359213]Definitely right on the hours and the stress, but I'd have to imagine the money isn't anywhere close. [/QUOTE]

The Bucs still owe Gruden $3 mil per year for the next 3 years.

He's not hurting for money.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3359241]The Bucs still owe Gruden $3 mil per year for the next 3 years.

He's not hurting for money.[/QUOTE]

Really?! :eek:

Did not know his contract was going that long. Good for Chucky...

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3359241]The Bucs still owe Gruden $3 mil per year for the next 3 years.

He's not hurting for money.[/QUOTE]
    wow. i didnt know that the bucs was still paying chuckie? might have been better to keep him...lol

Banned
    [QUOTE=SUJets1988;3359251]Really?! :eek:

Did not know his contract was going that long.[/QUOTE]

Gruden, who had [B]three years remaining on a contract extension[/B] he received after winning the NFC South in 2007, leaves as the winningest coach in franchise history.

[url]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bucs/2009-01-16-gruden-fired_N.htm[/url]

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3359267]Gruden, who had [B]three years remaining on a contract extension[/B] he received after winning the NFC South in 2007, leaves as the winningest coach in franchise history.

[url]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bucs/2009-01-16-gruden-fired_N.htm[/url][/QUOTE]

Oh I believe you, just didn't know that was the situation.

Great move by TB management to can a great coach and absorb a $9M sunk cost for Raheem Morris...:rolleyes:

All League
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3359267]Gruden, who had [B]three years remaining on a contract extension[/B] he received after winning the NFC South in 2007, leaves as the winningest coach in franchise history.

[url]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bucs/2009-01-16-gruden-fired_N.htm[/url][/QUOTE]

Clearly the Bucs know what they are doing.

Must be a process.

Banned
    [QUOTE=NYJCAP2;3359368]Clearly the Bucs know what they are doing.

Must be a process.[/QUOTE]

You got to believe the Bucs thought Gruden would be scooped up immediately by another NFL team, therefore, letting them off the hook for his remaining contract.

I think Gruden is f'n with them by staying at ESPN. :yes:

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3359388]You got to believe the Bucs thought Gruden would be scooped up immediately by another NFL team, therefore, letting them off the hook for his remaining contract.

I think Gruden is f'n with them by staying at ESPN. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Good for him .........Raheem Morris? Good Lord :rolleyes:

Glad to hear it..Chucky's great in the booth

Veteran
    awesome commentator, gives great insight.

has always been one of my fav characters in the NFL.