Thread: Monday Reality

Monday Reality

Good morning Jet fans ! Yes, I know its not easy being a Jet fan these days but let's face it we're used to pain and disappointment. To be honest I was expecting at best a .500 season so I am not that disappointed. After the game Edwards said something, that to me, kind of summarizes the Jets and that was something to the extent of "a lot of people here think that wins are automatic with all the talent on this team". In summary the Jets believe their own bull.

A top rated defense does not allow teams to score when they need to put up a stand. A top rated defense does not "come out flat" and thus there you have the problem of this team and teams past in a nutshell. They think they are better than they actually are.

Ryan's pompous stance might work with other teams but not this one. Too many players don't give 100% day in and day out when necessary. It's time to can that garbage and for Ryan to determine who he wants to build this team around. By the way Woody's comment that this is a playoff team was both assadine and ignorant.

Like it or not we are stuck with Sanchez. He is our QB of the future so he is going to have to take his lumps now and learn how to deal with both the NY press and disgruntled fans. I believe he has the potential to be a good NFL QB but the kid has a lot to learn at a time when the fans and media are not willing to give him time to learn.

In watching the Colts-Pats game I wondered what the Jets would have done if they were down to the Pats the way the Colts were. What do you think would have happened?

Shaddup.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Roger Vick;3358992]Shaddup.[/QUOTE]

He's right.

Brilliant comeback

Veteran
    [QUOTE=rmeyer52;3359018]Brilliant comeback[/QUOTE]

No man, I agree with you. Been watching too many games to fall for the same old tricks. They get our hopes up every preseason and the team falls apart.

All League
    There are only 2 realities.

1. Our rookie HC and rookie QB are experiencing growing pains. They will be better as a result of this.

2. We're a win this Sunday away from being RIGHT BACK into the wildcard and divisional races.

I agree, come November 21st -- Jets "try-outs" officially begin.

He is going to weed out the pretenders and those that go against what he is trying to establish.

Sadly and most disappointingly I believe Kerry Rhodes is at the top of the list of people that don't fit the mold. This is coming from a guy that a few years back was about to buy a Rhodes jersey.

For those that have forgotten, Rhodes' 5 year extension was worth for $33.5 million, with [B][U]$20 million guaranteed[/U][/B]. He signed that contract before the 2008 season and since then (over 25 games) he has 0 forced fumbles, 2 INTs and 1 sack. As soon as the ink hit the page his intensity on the field diminished along with his productivity. Where did the passion go Kerry? I've seen way more this season out of Eric Smith.

Beyond that, I generally don't like his leadership. Our team is going to look to a guy that instead of firing up his own team, fires up the opposing team. [B][U]I can't remember the last team I saw him lay out anyone[/U][/B]. Where's the aggression? This whole season he makes "after the catch" tackles and looks around for someone else to blame. He's not a bad guy but more and more it seems he plays the football for the money/celebrity, then using it as a launching pad for an acting career or to be a social butterfly.

Rex wants football players, ones that only care about the Jets and winning games.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=dassin;3359045][B]I agree, come November 21st -- Jets "try-outs" officially begin.[/B]
    He is going to weed out the pretenders and those that go against what he is trying to establish.

Sadly and most disappointingly I believe Kerry Rhodes is at the top of the list of people that don't fit the mold. This is coming from a guy that a few years back was about to buy a Rhodes jersey.

For those that have forgotten, Rhodes' 5 year extension was worth for $33.5 million, with [B][U]$20 million guaranteed[/U][/B]. He signed that contract before the 2008 season and since then (over 25 games) he has 0 forced fumbles, 2 INTs and 1 sack. As soon as the ink hit the page his intensity on the field diminished along with his productivity. Where did the passion go Kerry?

Beyond that, I generally don't like his leadership. Our team is going to look to a guy that instead of firing up his own team, fires up the opposing team. [B][U]I can't remember the last team I saw him lay out anyone[/U][/B]. Where's the aggression? This whole season he makes "after the catch" tackles and looks around for someone else to blame. He's not a bad guy but more and more it seems he plays the football for the money/celebrity, then using it as a launching pad for an acting career or to be a social butterfly.

Rex wants football players, ones that only care about the Jets and winning games.[/QUOTE]

Do you really believe this? We have nothing to go off of either way, so I hope you're right. And, Rhodes has got to go. That guy is a cancer.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;3359034]There are only 2 realities.

1. Our rookie HC and rookie QB are experiencing growing pains. They will be better as a result of this.

2. We're a win this Sunday away from being RIGHT BACK into the wildcard and divisional races.[/QUOTE]

I have a brifge for sale , it connects NJ and NY, send me $1,000 in cash and it's all yours.:D

Love the passion, hard to buy in though!

[QUOTE=BleedGreen314;3359051]Do you really believe this? We have nothing to go off of either way, so I hope you're right. And, Rhodes has got to go. That guy is a cancer.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do...like Ham wrote in his post -- we need more guys in the likeness of Rex Ryan and not Mangini/Edwards.

I personally love Jim Leonhard, who had his best game yesterday with a wrapped hand. Rex picked him out of obscurity. Bart Scott has a quiet 58 tackles, 1 sack.

Rhodes is a flashy player and the most athletic guy on the defense, but if he isn't giving a 110% or is distracted by other projects than he's setting a pretty bad example.

[B][U]Ahmad Carroll is the first to go[/U].[/B]
    Last edited by dassin; 11-16-2009 at 11:04 AM.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=dassin;3359065]Yes, I do...like Ham wrote in his post -- we need more guys in the likeness of Rex Ryan and not Mangini/Edwards.

I personally love Jim Leonhard, who had his best game yesterday with a wrapped hand. Rex picked him out of obscurity. Bart Scott has a quiet 58 tackles, 1 sack.

Rhodes is a flashy player and the most athletic guy on the defense, but if he isn't giving a 110% or is distracted by other projects than he's setting a pretty bad example.

[B][U]Ahmad Carroll is the first to go[/U].[/B][/QUOTE]

I am a big fan of Leonhard too. I like the mold of small, underrated, huge heart. He leaves it all out there. IF Rhodes, Gholston, etc had the heart this guy has, we'd be better.

Bart Scott's quiet 58 tackles are important but he's talked so much that we were looking for him to NOT MISS tackles, which he's missed quite a few of along with the rest of the defense.

[QUOTE=dassin;3359065]Yes, I do...like Ham wrote in his post -- we need more guys in the likeness of Rex Ryan and not Mangini/Edwards.

[B][U]Ahmad Carroll is the first to go[/U].[/B][/QUOTE]

Rhodes has to go. I think they should see what they can get for a trade. You watch what happens next Sunday. Rhodes will show up because it's a big opponent. He wants to impress BB more than he wants to impress Rex Ryan. Truth is for the most part, Rhodes plays with his head up his *ss.
    he's not passionate. He's a phony, just like that tough guy act he pulled with Porter before the Miami game. Just the idea, that a guy as soft as Rhodes is getting in the face of the Fins is laughable. Hines ward hits 5 times harder than Kerry Rhodes.
    I hope Rex makes it clear that the final 7 games are dress rehearsal for who will be here come training camp.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetster;3359118]Rhodes has to go. I think they should see what they can get for a trade. You watch what happens next Sunday. Rhodes will show up because it's a big opponent. He wants to impress BB more than he wants to impress Rex Ryan. Truth is for the most part, Rhodes plays with his head up his *ss.
    he's not passionate. He's a phony, just like that tough guy act he pulled with Porter before the Miami game. Just the idea, that a guy as soft as Rhodes is getting in the face of the Fins is laughable. Hines ward hits 5 times harder than Kerry Rhodes.
    I hope Rex makes it clear that the final 7 games are dress rehearsal for who will be here come training camp.[/QUOTE]

Rhodes is just a jerk. He shoved his shoulder into my friend in a bar in Morristown, and his gf was hammered. That's just the kind of guy he is.

[QUOTE=jetster;3359118]Rhodes has to go. I think they should see what they can get for a trade. You watch what happens next Sunday. Rhodes will show up because it's a big opponent. He wants to impress BB more than he wants to impress Rex Ryan. Truth is for the most part, Rhodes plays with his head up his *ss.
    he's not passionate. He's a phony, just like that tough guy act he pulled with Porter before the Miami game. Just the idea, that a guy as soft as Rhodes is getting in the face of the Fins is laughable. [B][U]Hines ward hits 5 times harder than Kerry Rhodes[/U][/B].
    I hope Rex makes it clear that the final 7 games are dress rehearsal for who will be here come training camp.[/QUOTE]

ugh, thats so true it hurts.

+1

Sink or Swim b*tches... you are all officially playing for contracts!

All League
    While I agree with the "try-outs" sentiment, I don't agree with the arguement that Sanchez is costing this team wins.

The Buffalo game was on Edwards who was responsible for 3 of the 5 interceptions. Sanchez wasn't the veteran(s) committing the dumb penalties either.

Sanchez had us in position to win both Miami games.

Sanchez had us in position to win the Jax game.

Sanchez made mistakes that cost us the NO game.

Rookie QB that realistically could have led the Jets to 8 wins up to this point.

I don't think we should over-react to another last second loss, because we are one play in each game away from winning. Often, we make that play and then due to another critical mistake, we give it back, but we are very close to being a very good team.

Look at the Colts, here is a team that should have lost at least three games already this year (Miami, Houston, and NE) right off the top of my head.

Ryan was not afforded the opportunity to learn to be a HC while serving as the assistant (like Caldwell did) so he is learning on the run. Notes for next year, DON"T GIVE 6 days off during your bye week.

[QUOTE=pcola;3359141]While I agree with the "try-outs" sentiment, I don't agree with the arguement that Sanchez is costing this team wins.

The Buffalo game was on Edwards who was responsible for 3 of the 5 interceptions. Sanchez wasn't the veteran(s) committing the dumb penalties either.

Sanchez had us in position to win both Miami games.

Sanchez had us in position to win the Jax game.

Sanchez made mistakes that cost us the NO game.

Rookie QB that realistically could have led the Jets to 8 wins up to this point.

I don't think we should over-react to another last second loss, because we are one play in each game away from winning. Often, we make that play and then due to another critical mistake, we give it back, but we are very close to being a very good team.

Look at the Colts, here is a team that should have lost at least three games already this year (Miami, Houston, and NE) right off the top of my head.

Ryan was not afforded the opportunity to learn to be a HC while serving as the assistant (like Caldwell did) so he is learning on the run. [B][I]Notes for next year, DON"T GIVE 6 days off during your bye week.[/[/I][/B]QUOTE]

Very true...this team needed to be on the practice field to shore up their fundamentals. This team does have a great deal of talent and potential, but that does not win games on Sunday.

Week after week we hear a different reason why we lost on Sunday, but the bottomline is we have a rookie QB and a rookie HC. This is not a recipe for immediate success, but with patience in the organization, and the fanbase (I know it isn't easy) we could be building something special.

We've seen flashes of what we hoped to see all season from Sanchez, and Rex's D. Now it remains to be seen if these guys can fix the problems we have, but i just dont think knee jerk reactions will ever change the culture of losing that has haunted this organization.

If it were up to me I would make minor changes through FA and the draft for a few positions DT being first on my list. We have plenty of weapons on the Offense, now we just need IMO a calming influence from the OC. Which is why I'd love to see Callahan take over the OC job. The only coach I would be inclined to let go is Shotty, we need a teacher at that position with such a young, raw QB. Shotty is too ambitious, always trying to reinvent the wheel. A simpler offense should be implemented, look at the effect Gilbride had on manning.
    The constant shifts, and all the options on passing plays stunt the development of a rookie QB, its like trying to build a house before laying the foundation.
    We need some help on the O-line, Faneca has seemed to hit the wall hard, and it may be time to hang em up. I dont think we need another 1st rd pick there, just a middle of the pack LG, he's playing between 2 all pros and we need to scheme around that.

With so much talent, and young talent at that, the Jets have the potential to build a culture of winning that starts here at the ground level. We were all fooled by the 3-0 start, and thats why this season is being billed as a disappointment already.
    Tearing it down and making drastic changes hasn't helped yet, if we stay the course and show support to our team maybe we will see a different response.
    Lord knows whats been done in the past hasn't worked

Just my 2 cents

[QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;3359034]There are only 2 realities.

1. Our rookie HC and rookie QB are experiencing growing pains. They will be better as a result of this. [COLOR="Purple"]You hope. There are no guarantees in life.[/COLOR]

2. We're a win this Sunday away from being RIGHT BACK into the wildcard and divisional races.[/QUOTE] [COLOR="purple"]True, I was saying this, but we all know this will not happen. We will not beat NE Sunday. Our defense is too good to beat NE and too good to stop them from scoring at will.[/COLOR]