Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Who's getting a plaque, retired number, monument?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Who's getting a plaque, retired number, monument?

Here's how I think it should go.

Monuments:

Yogi Berra
    Mariano Rivera
    Derek Jeter

Plaques: (Berra, Rivera, and Jeter will all have plaques untill they pass way)

Bernie Williams
    Paul O'Neill
    Andy Pettitte
    Jorge Posada
    Joe Torre
    Alex Rodriguez
    George Steinbrenner

Retired Numbers:

Derek Jeter (2)
    Mariano Rivera (42)
    Joe Torre (6)
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-16-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steinbrenner will be getting a plaque

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Steinbrenner will be getting a plaque
    Totally forgot about him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds about right although I'd only retire #2 and #42.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    Sounds about right although I'd only retire #2 and #42.
    I think #6 will as well. 4 championships, 6 pennants, made the post season every year. I think Torre deserves it. He's going into the Hall of Fame because of what he did in NY. I'd retire #6 before #1.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I think #6 will as well. 4 championships, 6 pennants, made the post season every year. I think Torre deserves it. He's going into the Hall of Fame because of what he did in NY. I'd retire #6 before #1.
    Billy Martin was a legend in Yankees lore.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    They probably will eventually, but I think they will take their time before doing it. Fact is there isn't a lot of love lost between the Yankee organization and Joe Torre right now, given the book that he wrote. I think that will cost him. Of course, I also don't see anyone wanting to wear #6 in the near future. We'll see, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong, but I'd bet both #2 and #42 get retired a long time before #6.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with JW about the wait & No. 6. It's going to be awhile. Also, I have a feeling that what happens with Girardi may also impact it. How? If Girardi wins 2 other championships, I can see the Steinbrenners to defend the notion of not retiring Torre's number by saying that Girardi's number should be retired as well (which won't happen).

God willing, I'll be alive to see both Jeter & Mo get into the HOF and get monuments. They'll be the first 2 baseball players I saw from minor leagues and their whole careers to get into the HOF from my favorite team. I was hoping it would have been Mattingly, but that wasn't meant to be.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Agree with JW about the wait & No. 6. It's going to be awhile. Also, I have a feeling that what happens with Girardi may also impact it. How? If Girardi wins 2 other championships, I can see the Steinbrenners to defend the notion of not retiring Torre's number by saying that Girardi's number should be retired as well (which won't happen).

God willing, I'll be alive to see both Jeter & Mo get into the HOF and get monuments. They'll be the first 2 baseball players I saw from minor leagues and their whole careers to get into the HOF from my favorite team. I was hoping it would have been Mattingly, but that wasn't meant to be.
    Rivera and Jeter will probably be the 1st Hall of Fame speech I watch, never reall has any interest in any others, even Goose Gossage's.

This reminds me, I usually dont agree with Mike Francesa, but he's been talking about how the last few Old Timers Day's have been snooze fests. Has a lot to do with the fact all the greats (besides Yogi) have passed on, but when the Likes of Jeter, Rivera, Pettitte, Posada, A-Rod retire and come back to play in OTD game...the place will be rocking.

Biggest cheers:

Jeter
    Mo
    Bernie
    Andy
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-16-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Billy Martin was a legend in Yankees lore.
    Yeah I know the history between Martin and the Boss, and Martin and Reggie, I know how much the guy LOVED being a Yankee, but Torre has better results on the field, and that's what matters most, right? I don't want you to think I don't think his number should be retired, I think it should, I just think Torre has done more than Martin to deserve the honor.

EDIT: Check out what it says on Martin's grave.

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-16-2009 at 05:00 PM.