Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your 2010 Yankees or Mets

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Your 2010 Yankee or Mets Roster

What do you want the Yankees or the Mets to look like next year? Who do you want them to sign and trade for?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-16-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure this will change 100 times this off season, it already has a few times.

*Sign Matt Holliday
    *Sign Rich Harden
    *Sign Aroldis Chapman
    *Re-sign Johnny Damon
    *Re-sign Andy Pettitte
    *Re-sign Jerry Hairston Jr.

Lineup:

Derek Jeter (SS)
    Johnny Damon (DH)
    Mark Teixeira (1B)
    Alex Rodriguez (3B)
    Matt Holliday (LF)
    Jorge Posada (C)
    Robinson Cano (2B)
    Nick Swisher (RF)
    Melky Cabrera (CF)

Bench:

Francisco Cervelli (C)
    Brett Gardner (OF)
    Ramiro Pena (IF)
    Jerry Hairston Jr. (IF/OF)

Pitching Staff:

LHP CC Sabathia
    RHP A.J. Burnett
    LHP Andy Pettitte
    RHP Rich Harden
    RHP Joba Chamberlain
    RHP Phil Hughes
    RHP Mariano Rivera
    LHP Damaso Marte
    RHP David Robertson
    LHP Phil Coke
    RHP Alfredo Aceves
    RHP Mark Melancon

(Aroldis Chapman will start out in the minors)
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-16-2009 at 02:29 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll say that at his probable cost, I really do not want Matt Holliday.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan View Post
    I'll say that at his probable cost, I really do not want Matt Holliday.
    +1

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't get the anti-Holliday stuff.

We need a left fielder, and we need to replace Matsui's bat. Holliday can do both.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

We need a left fielder, and we need to replace Matsui's bat. Holliday can do both.
    i don't get all this hate on Holliday? he is an above average hitter and a much better fielder than Damon or Matsui could ever dream of.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although I like what I see from some of these young bullpen arms, I think a big focus needs to be put on the 8th inning setup guy this year. I expect Joba and Hughes to both be starting this year, so that role is not clearly defined. Marte is seems like a great situational guy and I'm not sure the kids (Robertson etc.) are ready yet for that role full time. Hughes' performance there this year should have been a strong reminder to everyone this season on how important that guy is to a team, and right now there is no one there.

Would also love to see Gardner as the full time CF over Melky if we get a good bat to play left.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Although I like what I see from some of these young bullpen arms, I think a big focus needs to be put on the 8th inning setup guy this year. I expect Joba and Hughes to both be starting this year, so that role is not clearly defined. Marte is seems like a great situational guy and I'm not sure the kids (Robertson etc.) are ready yet for that role full time. Hughes' performance there this year should have been a strong reminder to everyone this season on how important that guy is to a team, and right now there is no one there.

Would also love to see Gardner as the full time CF over Melky if we get a good bat to play left.
    I don't like the idea of both Hughes and Joba in the rotation, I think one of them will be in the bullpen. The only relievers worth signing in free agenecy are the lefty and righty in Atlanta (Gonzolez and Soriano), problem is both those guys are Type A free agents.

What do you think of signing Mike Cameron or Coco Crisp for short money for a year or 2. I'm so sick of watching Melky Cabrera, but I don't think Gardner is a major league hitter, but wouldn't mind giving him another shot, if we bring in Holliday.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    +1
    +2

TD, Matt Holliday wants Teixeira money ($180 million) and is represented by Scott Boras.

While Holliday may be close to the hitter Tex is, he plays a less important position, and he's not a great fielder in any event.

That's why I'm anti-Holliday.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    +2

TD, Matt Holliday wants Teixeira money ($180 million) and is represented by Scott Boras.

While Holliday may be close to the hitter Tex is, he plays a less important position, and he's not a great fielder in any event.

Just because he wants it doesn't mean he's going to get it. He's not getting an 8 year deal. He's 30 years old, not 28 like Teixeira was, and because he's not as a complete player as Teixeira is, he's not getting the same type of money.

Teixeira got 8 years for $180 million. (That is an average of $22.5 million per year)
    Would you want Holliday for 6 years for $120 million? (That's $20 million per year)

Take a look at this: http://nomaas.org/?p=275
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-18-2009 at 11:26 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

And Scott Boras compared Oliver Perez to Sandy Koufax last year, point is these comparisons have a tendency to be wishful thinking, if not outright delusional.

Anyone who thinks Holliday is getting close to 180 million needs to show some common sense. Maybe he had a shot in a better economy, but not in this one where everyone seems to be shying away from adding payroll. I'd be surprised if he got significantly more then Beltran did (7 yr/119 mill)

PS: Holliday's defense is better then he's given credit for, he's been on average about a +7 fielder by UZR (Meaning 7 runs better then the average LF), granted much of that is because he's not a statue like many of his counterparts, but by any metric he's actually pretty good out there.

Also important to note he can even steal 15 bases a year. He's just a nice all-around player.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure this will change 100 times this off season, it already has a few times.

*Sign Matt Holliday
    *Sign Rich Harden
    *Sign Aroldis Chapman
    *Re-sign Johnny Damon
    *Re-sign Andy Pettitte

Lineup:

Derek Jeter (SS)
    Johnny Damon (DH)
    Mark Teixeira (1B)
    Alex Rodriguez (3B)
    Matt Holliday (LF)
    Jorge Posada (C)
    Robinson Cano (2B)
    Nick Swisher (RF)
    Melky Cabrera (CF)

Bench:

Francisco Cervelli (C)
    Brett Gardner (OF)
    Ramiro Pena (IF)

Pitching Staff:

LHP CC Sabathia
    RHP A.J. Burnett
    LHP Andy Pettitte
    RHP Rich Harden
    RHP Joba Chamberlain
    RHP Phil Hughes
    RHP Mariano Rivera
    LHP Damaso Marte
    RHP David Robertson
    LHP Phil Coke
    RHP Alfredo Aceves
    RHP Mark Melancon

Yankee Fans are a joke, why don't you just buy the whole american league, this way you can win every year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike309 View Post
    Yankee Fans are a joke, why don't you just buy the whole american league, this way you can win every year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just because he wants it doesn't mean he's going to get it. He's not getting an 8 year deal. He's 30 years old, not 28 like Teixeira was, and because he's not as a complete player as Teixeira is, he's not getting the same type of money.

Teixeira got 8 years for $180 million. (That is an average of $22.5 million per year)
    Would you want Holliday for 6 years for $120 million? (That's $20 million per year)

Take a look at this: http://nomaas.org/?p=275
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    And Scott Boras compared Oliver Perez to Sandy Koufax last year, point is these comparisons have a tendency to be wishful thinking, if not outright delusional.

Anyone who thinks Holliday is getting close to 180 million needs to show some common sense. Maybe he had a shot in a better economy, but not in this one where everyone seems to be shying away from adding payroll. I'd be surprised if he got significantly more then Beltran did (7 yr/119 mill)

PS: Holliday's defense is better then he's given credit for, he's been on average about a +7 fielder by UZR (Meaning 7 runs better then the average LF), granted much of that is because he's not a statue like many of his counterparts, but by any metric he's actually pretty good out there.

Also important to note he can even steal 15 bases a year. He's just a nice all-around player.
    Holliday is the top fielding FA this year, Perez was a FA after thought last year so we can't compare the situation.

Guess what? Scott Boras ususally gets his top shelf FAs top money.

I like Holliday as a player, but he's going to get close to the money Boras is talking about. That's who Boras is.

As to the question of Holliday for 6 yrs $120 million? I don't know. Werth is older, but might be cheaper next year. We'd have to see.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my alternative. Cashman makes some trades. If we don't re-sign Matsui, then we must replace that bat. I love Damon, but if we trade for a DH, he can't play LF for my team.

*Trade for Adam Dunn
    *Trade for David DeJesus
    *Sign Rich Harden
    *Sign Aroldis Chapman
    *Re-sign Andy Pettitte

Lineup:

David DeJesus (LF)
    Derek Jeter (SS)
    Mark Teixeira (1B)
    Alex Rodriguez (3B)
    Adam Dunn (DH)
    Jorge Posada (C)
    Robinson Cano (2B)
    Nick Swisher (RF)
    Melky Cabrera (CF)

Bench:

Francisco Cervelli (C)
    Brett Gardner (OF)
    Ramiro Pena (IF)

Pitching Staff:

LHP CC Sabathia
    RHP A.J. Burnett
    LHP Andy Pettitte
    RHP Rich Harden
    RHP Joba Chamberlain
    RHP Phil Hughes
    RHP Mariano Rivera
    LHP Damaso Marte
    RHP David Robertson
    LHP Phil Coke
    RHP Alfredo Aceves
    RHP Mark Melancon

Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-18-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my alternative. Cashman makes some trades. If we don't re-sign Matsui, then we must replace that bat. I love Damon, but if we trade for a DH, he can't play LF for my team.

*Trade for Adam Dunn
    *Trade for David DeJesus
    *Sign Rich Harden
    *Sign Aroldis Chapman
    *Re-sign Andy Pettitte

Lineup:

David DeJesus (LF)
    Derek Jeter (SS)
    Mark Teixeira (1B)
    Alex Rodriguez (3B)
    Adam Dunn (DH)
    Jorge Posada (C)
    Robinson Cano (2B)
    Nick Swisher (RF)
    Melky Cabrera (CF)

Bench:

Francisco Cervelli (C)
    Brett Gardner (OF)
    Ramiro Pena (IF)

Pitching Staff:

LHP CC Sabathia
    RHP A.J. Burnett
    LHP Andy Pettitte
    RHP Rich Harden
    RHP Joba Chamberlain
    RHP Phil Hughes
    RHP Mariano Rivera
    LHP Damaso Marte
    RHP David Robertson
    LHP Phil Coke
    RHP Alfredo Aceves
    RHP Mark Melancon

okay.. but, WHO are you trading away for 40 home run hitting adam dunn or david dejesus?

also, the reason i'm against holliday is that we have money coming off the books, but not nearly as much as last year. if we go and get another long term, expensive contract, we'll be in a bad position going into next year, perhaps the biggest FA pool of the decade. halladay will be there (unless he gets traded and gets the extension he is looking for), joe mauer will be there (and he will be even more valuable to us that any other team out there. besides becoming our catcher of the future, he fills our DH hole left vacant by matsui by putting posada there, possibly even keeping him healthy, he prevents the sox from getting joe mauer and fixing their varitek problem (v-mart is destined to be a 1st baseman) and best of all, it makes all of our depth at catcher in the minors tradeable, so we can rack up prospects or impact players from other teams to help fill our other needs (i don't want to trade montero, he's being compared to prince fielder offensively, and apparently his catching is being totally underrated, but even with mauer, you don't trade bats liek that away, he becomes the DH after posadas contract runs out)), carl crawford is expected to be there (and i like him better than holliday anyway), josh beckett, cliff lee, brandon webb (who i actually like in yankee stadium b/c hes a ground ball pitcher, which helps us out in a fly ball park), and several other solid guys, including a few of our own like mo and jeter.

the point is, we really shouldn't spend anything this winter, that way we can justify the huge spending spree we're probably going on next winter. you can count jeter in for 3-4 years at a minimum of 20 mil per. mo will probably do 2-3 more years at his 15 mil per. pettitte will probably retire after next season (if he doesn't retire this winter that is), and if we haven't dealt hughes or joba this winter or next summer in a deal for halladay, then we'll still need to fill the whole andy leaves. so either way next winter we need 1 starter, we could steal beckett from the sox, lee from the phillies, or halladay from toronto. i'd love it if halladay hits the free agent market and we end up with a rotation of c.c., halladay, burnett, joba, hughes.

and a line up like this:

crawford (lf)
    jeter (ss)
    teixiera (1b)
    a-rod (3b)
    mauer (c)
    posada (dh)
    swisher (rf)
    cano (2b)
    melky (cf)

that means next winter, we're signing crawford, mauer, jeter, mo, and halladay to big contracts. i dont' know about you, but that team makes a dynasty. but i also know its going to cost a TONNNNN of money, so wasting some on holliday and matsui, or damon for that matter now, is pretty dumb. i am okay with damon on a 1 year deal with an option to buyout the 2nd year, that way, we can keep him if crawford is dealt and signed by someone else, but if he hits free agency, we buy him out and dont' have to worry about him in 2011.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Yankees have told the Jays they will include Phil Hughes in a deal for halladay, as well as one of Austin Jackson or Jesus Montero

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...day/index.html

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raysdaone View Post
    the Yankees have told the Jays they will include Phil Hughes in a deal for halladay, as well as one of Austin Jackson or Jesus Montero

Probably just to jack up the price for everyone else... I don't think the Yankees have any plans to trade for and then sign Roy Halladay to a big contract. It's Santana part II. I'm sure they would rather wait for Cliff Lee in 2010, when they can get him for $$$ only.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raysdaone View Post

Where does it say the Yankees are willing to trade an of those players?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcg86 View Post
    okay.. but, WHO are you trading away for 40 home run hitting adam dunn or david dejesus?

also, the reason i'm against holliday is that we have money coming off the books, but not nearly as much as last year. if we go and get another long term, expensive contract, we'll be in a bad position going into next year, perhaps the biggest FA pool of the decade. halladay will be there (unless he gets traded and gets the extension he is looking for), joe mauer will be there (and he will be even more valuable to us that any other team out there. besides becoming our catcher of the future, he fills our DH hole left vacant by matsui by putting posada there, possibly even keeping him healthy, he prevents the sox from getting joe mauer and fixing their varitek problem (v-mart is destined to be a 1st baseman) and best of all, it makes all of our depth at catcher in the minors tradeable, so we can rack up prospects or impact players from other teams to help fill our other needs (i don't want to trade montero, he's being compared to prince fielder offensively, and apparently his catching is being totally underrated, but even with mauer, you don't trade bats liek that away, he becomes the DH after posadas contract runs out)), carl crawford is expected to be there (and i like him better than holliday anyway), josh beckett, cliff lee, brandon webb (who i actually like in yankee stadium b/c hes a ground ball pitcher, which helps us out in a fly ball park), and several other solid guys, including a few of our own like mo and jeter.

the point is, we really shouldn't spend anything this winter, that way we can justify the huge spending spree we're probably going on next winter. you can count jeter in for 3-4 years at a minimum of 20 mil per. mo will probably do 2-3 more years at his 15 mil per. pettitte will probably retire after next season (if he doesn't retire this winter that is), and if we haven't dealt hughes or joba this winter or next summer in a deal for halladay, then we'll still need to fill the whole andy leaves. so either way next winter we need 1 starter, we could steal beckett from the sox, lee from the phillies, or halladay from toronto. i'd love it if halladay hits the free agent market and we end up with a rotation of c.c., halladay, burnett, joba, hughes.

and a line up like this:

crawford (lf)
    jeter (ss)
    teixiera (1b)
    a-rod (3b)
    mauer (c)
    posada (dh)
    swisher (rf)
    cano (2b)
    melky (cf)

that means next winter, we're signing crawford, mauer, jeter, mo, and halladay to big contracts. i dont' know about you, but that team makes a dynasty. but i also know its going to cost a TONNNNN of money, so wasting some on holliday and matsui, or damon for that matter now, is pretty dumb. i am okay with damon on a 1 year deal with an option to buyout the 2nd year, that way, we can keep him if crawford is dealt and signed by someone else, but if he hits free agency, we buy him out and dont' have to worry about him in 2011.
    I would be willing to trade Austin Jackson and Zach McAllister in a package for Adam Dunn. Not sure what it would take to get DeJesus, but I'd give them a few good pitchers.

I think Joe Mauer stays in Minnesota.