Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your 2010 Yankees or Mets

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by raysdaone View Post
    the Yankees have told the Jays they will include Phil Hughes in a deal for halladay, as well as one of Austin Jackson or Jesus Montero

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...day/index.html
    The article DOES NOT say that.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Holliday is the top fielding FA this year, Perez was a FA after thought last year so we can't compare the situation.

Guess what? Scott Boras ususally gets his top shelf FAs top money.

I like Holliday as a player, but he's going to get close to the money Boras is talking about. That's who Boras is.

As to the question of Holliday for 6 yrs $120 million? I don't know. Werth is older, but might be cheaper next year. We'd have to see.
    Thing is, that's not what Boras is....

Boras (and his pawns in the media like Heyman) throws out obscene dollar figures regularly this time of the year. There was talk at one point about A-Rod getting a 400-450 million dollar contract. Didn't happen. There was talk about Johnny Damon getting 100 million over 7 years. Didn't happen. There was a time last offseason we were discussing a 5 year pact for Manny Ramirez. Didn't happen.

His strategy has always been to ask for the moon early, usually bordering on flat out being delusional, wait as long as you can for the market to develop, and then pit teams against each other (Works especially good if they're rivals) in order to get the best deal possible for his client.

But if there's no market anywhere near 180 million, he's going to come in well short of that. It's just the reality of the matter...

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Thing is, that's not what Boras is....

Boras (and his pawns in the media like Heyman) throws out obscene dollar figures regularly this time of the year. There was talk at one point about A-Rod getting a 400-450 million dollar contract. Didn't happen. There was talk about Johnny Damon getting 100 million over 7 years. Didn't happen. There was a time last offseason we were discussing a 5 year pact for Manny Ramirez. Didn't happen.

His strategy has always been to ask for the moon early, usually bordering on flat out being delusional, wait as long as you can for the market to develop, and then pit teams against each other (Works especially good if they're rivals) in order to get the best deal possible for his client.

But if there's no market anywhere near 180 million, he's going to come in well short of that. It's just the reality of the matter...

This threads for both Yankee and Mets fans, lets see your 2010 Mets.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    The article DOES NOT say that.
    But with a year gone by now, the World Series winners might have a reasonable expectation that either Chamberlain or Hughes in a package might at least get the ball rolling. The Yankees also have several catching prospects to entice the Blue Jays, including Jesus Montero, who is still only 19 but is said by one scout to be "off the charts" as a hitting prospect and "better than he's given credit for as a catcher."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0XFXDK9SX
    Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

But with a year gone by now, the World Series winners might have a reasonable expectation that either Chamberlain or Hughes in a package might at least get the ball rolling. The Yankees also have several catching prospects to entice the Blue Jays, including Jesus Montero, who is still only 19 but is said by one scout to be "off the charts" as a hitting prospect and "better than he's given credit for as a catcher."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...#ixzz0XFXDK9SX
    Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription
    But with a year gone by now, the World Series winners MIGHT have a reasonable expectation that either Chamberlain or Hughes in a package might at least get the ball rolling. The Yankees also have several catching prospects to entice the Blue Jays, including Jesus Montero, who is still only 19 but is said by one scout to be "off the charts" as a hitting prospect and "better than he's given credit for as a catcher."
    Pure speculation. He just named our young pitchers and our best prospect. That's all.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-18-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Banned
    No need to trade for Halladay now. Just wait for him to become a FA after next year or sign Cliff Lee. Besides I want to see two more home grown Yankees (Joba and Hughes) develop into core players for years to come.

I heard Holliday wants to stay in St. Louis. He'd cost alot of money like Bay but unlike Bay Holliday is better in the NL. Still, he'd be a nice #5 hitter in the lineup and LF. Yankees can do worse than replacing aging Johnny Damon with Holliday.

Yankees should sign Rafael Soriano, Mike Gonzalez or Jose Valverde to shore up the bullpen.

Not willing to trade Montero, the type of hitter he is he could be raking with the Yanks for over 15 years over a SP who is turning 33 and may only have a season or 2 left with being elite.

Banned
    As for the Mets if they want to be respectable next year they absolutely have to sign either John Lackey or Jason Marquis. Marquis wants to come here, would cost less than Lackey and is a consistent 12-15 win pitcher. No way is Pelfrey a legit #2 starter he's more like a decent 4 or 5.

I also think they should seriously consider bringing Sheffield back to a 1 year deal. Sheff was the only bright spot in their season and can still hit. I know he's a headcase and didn't get along with the management but money talks and so does hitting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Not willing to trade Montero, the type of hitter he is he could be raking with the Yanks for over 15 years over a SP who is turning 33 and may only have a season or 2 left with being elite.
    +1

We didn't make a similar deal for Santana who was better and younger why trade Joba who's already been succesful as a starter and Montero for a pitcher we might be able to get as UFA after next season?

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    He's untouchable in my eyes. If he can't catch, we'll find a spot for him.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    No need to trade for Halladay now. Just wait for him to become a FA after next year or sign Cliff Lee. Besides I want to see two more home grown Yankees (Joba and Hughes) develop into core players for years to come.

I heard Holliday wants to stay in St. Louis. He'd cost alot of money like Bay but unlike Bay Holliday is better in the NL. Still, he'd be a nice #5 hitter in the lineup and LF. Yankees can do worse than replacing aging Johnny Damon with Holliday.

Yankees should sign Rafael Soriano, Mike Gonzalez or Jose Valverde to shore up the bullpen.
    I really don't think the Yankees are interested in Halladay one bit.

Bay isn't much better than Damon in LF.

and those 3 relief pitchers are Type A free agents. I'd don't want to loose our first round pick for those guys.

As for the Mets if they want to be respectable next year they absolutely have to sign either John Lackey or Jason Marquis. Marquis wants to come here, would cost less than Lackey and is a consistent 12-15 win pitcher. No way is Pelfrey a legit #2 starter he's more like a decent 4 or 5.

I also think they should seriously consider bringing Sheffield back to a 1 year deal. Sheff was the only bright spot in their season and can still hit. I know he's a headcase and didn't get along with the management but money talks and so does hitting.
    Sheffield? Come on dude.. lol

Might as well bring Matsui back.

EDIT: Oh for the Mets. Sh*t they shouldn't do it either. He's a statue in the outfield. They need guys who can run in that outfield.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Sheffield? Come on dude.. lol

Might as well bring Matsui back.

EDIT: Oh for the Mets. Sh*t they shouldn't do it either. He's a statue in the outfield. They need guys who can run in that outfield.
    That would be funny if the Yankees offered Sheffield a contract. Think he'd bite? He'd probably call Girardi a racist b/c he'd make him bat 5th instead of cleanup.

Only thing I'd point out is that if Halladay is willing to go with the extension as part of a trade, that he won't make it to Free Agency for you guys to bid on.....and not related, but Mauer could easily re-up as well if the Twins are serious about keeping him there for life.

This is why I hate looking ahead to future FA classes, because half the guys you're looking at will have been locked up, or traded to a team that will lock them up by then. Planning for Free Agency years ahead seems like fools gold to me, especially when you're talking about passing up what could potentially be one of the best buyers markets in recent memory given the state of the economy and how many teams can't add payroll and may need to dump payroll.

Although, from what I've heard about Lee's extension talks with the Phillies, there's a good chance on him reaching FA. Reportedly, he's asking for Santana/Sabathia money and the Phillies are unwilling to give that out.

TD, I have a few ideas, I'll come up with one later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    This threads for both Yankee and Mets fans, lets see your 2010 Mets.
    As a Met fan I refuse to care until they actually do something worth talking about. F*** baseball

It might be a bit of a dream scenario, since I'm sure I'm pushing payroll budgets a little bit, but this is the gist of what I'd like to see the Mets do.

1) Sign Matt Holliday, 7 years, 126 million
    2) Trade for Aaron Harang
    3) Trade Luis Castillo, eat 2 million annually
    4) Sign Orlando Hudson, 2 years, 14 million
    5) Sign Bengie Molina, 1 year, 5 million
    6) Sign Joe Beimel, 1 year, 2.5 million
    7) Non-Tender Tim Redding, Cory Sullivan, Jeremy Reed

If I need to cut payroll any, bye-bye Bengie.

Lineup

1) Jose Reyes - SS
    2) Orlando Hudson - 2B
    3) David Wright - 3B
    4) Matt Holliday - LF
    5) Carlos Beltran - CF
    6) Daniel Murphy - 1B
    7) Jeff Francoeur - RF
    8) Bengie Molina - C

Bench

Angel Pagan - OF
    Nick Evans - 1B/LF
    Chris Carter - 1B/LF
    Anderson Hernandez - 2B/SS/3B
    Omir Santos - C

Rotation

Johan Santana - L
    Aaron Harang - R
    John Maine - R
    Oliver Perez - L
    Mike Pelfrey - R

Bullpen

Francisco Rodriguez - R
    Bobby Parnell - R
    Pedro Feliciano - L
    Joe Beimel - L
    Brian Stokes - R
    Sean Green - R
    Nelson Figueroa - R (Long-Man)

Orlando Hudson? Meh. We could do better at second. I'd go the trade route.

Bengie Molina? Ew. Frenchy and Molina in one lineup? Excuse me while I throw up.

Otherwise, I really like Holliday. I really like Harang. I really, really like getting rid of Castillo. I'm kind of indifferent with Beimel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie46kf View Post
    Orlando Hudson? Meh. We could do better at second. I'd go the trade route.
    Considered that, but I didn't want to trade too many prospects, and I put a priority on Harang (For obvious reasons, given how pathetic the SP market is past Lackey)...... I really like Felipe Lopez as well, but lets face it, it'd be Hudson if we dealt Castillo.

Bengie Molina? Ew. Frenchy and Molina in one lineup? Excuse me while I throw up.
    Not a huge fan of his either, but it's a pathetic Catching market and he's the best available. I'd prefer not to rush Thole, so if they don't think he's ready, what other option is there really? Schneider? Torrealba? Some other scrub?

Either way, I'm not giving out a multi-year deal here for obvious reasons. It's just something so we survive until a better option arises.

Otherwise, I really like Holliday. I really like Harang. I really, really like getting rid of Castillo. I'm kind of indifferent with Beimel.
    I'm of the belief that in order to beat the Phillies more often then not Head-to-Head, that we need a 2nd Lefty Reliever who can mow down the middle of their lineup. Not having that guy bit us in the ass a couple times last year.

Am I spending 2.5 million (mainly) for 18 games against the Phillies? Absolutely. And I'm okay with that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Only thing I'd point out is that if Halladay is willing to go with the extension as part of a trade, that he won't make it to Free Agency for you guys to bid on.....and not related, but Mauer could easily re-up as well if the Twins are serious about keeping him there for life.

This is why I hate looking ahead to future FA classes, because half the guys you're looking at will have been locked up, or traded to a team that will lock them up by then. Planning for Free Agency years ahead seems like fools gold to me, especially when you're talking about passing up what could potentially be one of the best buyers markets in recent memory given the state of the economy and how many teams can't add payroll and may need to dump payroll.

Although, from what I've heard about Lee's extension talks with the Phillies, there's a good chance on him reaching FA. Reportedly, he's asking for Santana/Sabathia money and the Phillies are unwilling to give that out.

TD, I have a few ideas, I'll come up with one later tonight.
    The Twins are going to resign Mauer. He's the franchise and they're opening up a new ballpark. You're right that Halladay will probably sign an extension with whoever trades for him I think he'll end up in Philly , Anaheim or Cubs.

I think the two real targets for the Yankees or Carl Crawford and Cliff Lee. Yeah it's tough looking at future free agent classes but sometimes it works like the Yankees passing up on Santana to wait for Sabathia.

Marquis is nowhere near a legit #2. He's a contenders #5/innings eater.

I think the Mets should sign both honestly. Let Pelfrey play as a #3, which he's entirely capable of being.