Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your 2010 Yankees or Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post

Not a huge fan of his either, but it's a pathetic Catching market and he's the best available. I'd prefer not to rush Thole, so if they don't think he's ready, what other option is there really? Schneider? Torrealba? Some other scrub?
    I like the idea of the Mets signing Molina. Well I don't like it, but I think it's the right move for them to make. It would be wise for them to add a veteran to start, rather than throwing Thole or Santos behind the plate all season. His offensive numbers are pretty much dreadful all around, but he does have the ability to hit the long ball, is good defensively, and will come cheap.

I also like your idea of signing Beimel.

Jets Insider VIP
    It might be a bit of a dream scenario, since I'm sure I'm pushing payroll budgets a little bit, but this is the gist of what I'd like to see the Mets do.

1) Sign Matt Holliday, 7 years, 126 million
    2) Trade for Aaron Harang
    3) Trade Luis Castillo, eat 2 million annually
    4) Sign Orlando Hudson, 2 years, 14 million
    5) Sign Bengie Molina, 1 year, 5 million
    6) Sign Joe Beimel, 1 year, 2.5 million
    7) Non-Tender Tim Redding, Cory Sullivan, Jeremy Reed

If I need to cut payroll any, bye-bye Bengie.

Lineup

1) Jose Reyes - SS
    2) Orlando Hudson - 2B
    3) David Wright - 3B
    4) Matt Holliday - LF
    5) Carlos Beltran - CF
    6) Daniel Murphy - 1B
    7) Jeff Francoeur - RF
    8) Bengie Molina - C

Bench

Angel Pagan - OF
    Nick Evans - 1B/LF
    Chris Carter - 1B/LF
    Anderson Hernandez - 2B/SS/3B
    Omir Santos - C

Rotation

Johan Santana - L
    Aaron Harang - R
    John Maine - R
    Oliver Perez - L
    Mike Pelfrey - R

Bullpen

Francisco Rodriguez - R
    Bobby Parnell - R
    Pedro Feliciano - L
    Joe Beimel - L
    Brian Stokes - R
    Sean Green - R
    Nelson Figueroa - R (Long-Man)
    On paper that's a pretty good team, definately good enough to challenge the Phils.

Considered that, but I didn't want to trade too many prospects, and I put a priority on Harang (For obvious reasons, given how pathetic the SP market is past Lackey)...... I really like Felipe Lopez as well, but lets face it, it'd be Hudson if we dealt Castillo.
    Well I think Harang can come cheaply considering his down year and somewhat bloated contract. I don't think the Mets would have to give up anything of importance. Unfortunately, I agree it will most likely be Hudson. I also think we could get someone cheap via trade. Lopez is a good example. I think the Marlins are looking to get rid of Uggla's contract as well. Either one would bring a big boost to the offense.

Not a huge fan of his either, but it's a pathetic Catching market and he's the best available. I'd prefer not to rush Thole, so if they don't think he's ready, what other option is there really? Schneider? Torrealba? Some other scrub?

Either way, I'm not giving out a multi-year deal here for obvious reasons. It's just something so we survive until a better option arises.
    Honestly, if that's the option, I'd rather do a platoon of Santos/Thole. Save the money on something worthwhile. Molina really is a bad hitter.

I'm of the belief that in order to beat the Phillies more often then not Head-to-Head, that we need a 2nd Lefty Reliever who can mow down the middle of their lineup. Not having that guy bit us in the ass a couple times last year.

Am I spending 2.5 million (mainly) for 18 games against the Phillies? Absolutely. And I'm okay with that.
    The reason why I say I'm different is because bullpen pitchers are such a crapshoot. You never know what you get with them (unless its Mo Rivera).

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie46kf View Post
    Honestly, if that's the option, I'd rather do a platoon of Santos/Thole. Save the money on something worthwhile. Molina really is a bad hitter.
    Molina is a "bad hitter" that can give us a .725 OPS with Competent MLB caliber Defense.

Santos stands a good chance of putting up a .650 OPS next year, considering that's all he was in the minors. Thole might replicate the offense (At least in terms of OPS), but he stands a good chance of leading the league in passed balls and I'm not sure I trust his gamecalling abilities at this stage yet, he is still learning the position.

Is he great? No. But chances are, it's still a significant upgrade over Santos/Thole.