Thread: Bengals-Johnson union imminent

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Post Thanks / Like

Bengals-Johnson union imminent

Former [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=kan"][COLOR=#225fb2]Kansas City Chiefs[/COLOR][/URL] running back [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4485"][COLOR=#225fb2]Larry Johnson[/COLOR][/URL] was en route to [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=cin"][COLOR=#225fb2]Cincinnati[/COLOR][/URL] on Monday and, barring a last-minute breakdown, he expects to sign with the AFC North-leading Bengals, a source familiar with the negotiations told ESPN's Michael Smith.

A deal, if consummated, is expected to be for the prorated league minimum.

The Bengals, along with several other teams, first expressed interest in Johnson last week as depth behind [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8419"][COLOR=#225fb2]Cedric Benson[/COLOR][/URL], who suffered a hip injury in Sunday's 18-12 victory at Pittsburgh.

If Johnson learns the offense quickly, it stands to reason he could be active for the Bengals on Sunday against the Raiders.

The Chiefs released Johnson last Monday, the day he was due back from his second (two-week) suspension in the past 12 months. His last brush with controversy came two weeks ago when he posted on his Twitter account a gay slur, insulted followers and questioned the competence of head coach Todd Haley.

[URL]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4660283&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines[/URL]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, a lot of people thought the Steelers would be involved.

I hope Benson is ok, for the Bengals sake. I don't like LJ and I think they are in big trouble if they resort to playing him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    there was no way in hell the steelers would have signed LJ.

and i hope for the bengals sake that benson is hurt enough to miss the rest of the season..lol.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Bengals are contenders. And forget about Carson Palmer and Ochocinco....their D is Top 5 in my opinion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like Marvin Lewis is really playing with fire here. I know Benson has had some injury concerns, but bringing in a clubhouse cancer on a team who has had a serious issue with just that is dangerous.

Especially when you are talking about a 7-2 team

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3359495]The Bengals are contenders. And forget about Carson Palmer and Ochocinco....their D is Top 5 in my opinion.[/QUOTE]
    jetstream, i am trying to forget that the bengals are contenders.. you arent helping:D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BigBensAngel7;3359435]
    and i hope for the bengals sake that benson is hurt enough to miss the rest of the season..lol.[/QUOTE]

Classy. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i just said i hope he is out for the rest of the season. its not like i said i wish he was dead or something. some people need to lighten up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, there goes my fantasy value with Benson.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its one thing to be a cancer on a team that has lost 30 of their last 35 games and it is another on a team that (sorry BBA) is headed for a division crown and potentially a bye.

Team A: Chiefs - cancer

Team B: Cincy (when they are winning) - hungry veteran showing leadership.

Don't get me wrong, but when things are bad, players, coaches, media all tend to blow things out of proporton.

Look at Moss up in NE. This cancer hasn't done anything in his time up in Foxborough except be the greatest WR in the history of the game.

When you win - things work out. When you consistently suck year in and year out, they don't.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]
    Its one thing to be a cancer on a team that has lost 30 of their last 35 games and it is another on a team that (sorry BBA) is headed for a division crown and potentially a bye.
    [/QUOTE]
    its ok. last time cincy won the ACFN, they lost in the playoffs and the steelers went on to win the superbowl :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pcola;3359566]Its one thing to be a cancer on a team that has lost 30 of their last 35 games and it is another on a team that (sorry BBA) is headed for a division crown and potentially a bye.

Team A: Chiefs - cancer

Team B: Cincy (when they are winning) - hungry veteran showing leadership.

Don't get me wrong, but when things are bad, players, coaches, media all tend to blow things out of proporton.

Look at Moss up in NE. This cancer hasn't done anything in his time up in Foxborough except be the greatest WR in the history of the game.

When you win - things work out. When you consistently suck year in and year out, they don't.[/QUOTE]

Normally I'd agree. But Cincy has had an issue where clubhouse cancers have killed the team in the past (and almost cost Marvin Lewis his job in the process). He has NOT had a history of being able to control such players.

Belicheck on the other hand, has. I'm not saying it won't work out. But past history does have it's place here.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think he'll be too much of a problem with Ochocinco, Palmer, and Benson in the locker room considering all three of those guys have taken leadership positions on their team and have them en route to great things.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BigBensAngel7;3359585]its ok. last time cincy won the ACFN, they lost in the playoffs and the steelers went on to win the superbowl :D[/QUOTE]

Bengals were the better team that year. They hurt Palmer on the first series and that was the ball game. Straight up they lose and don't win the Super Bowl.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;3359592]Normally I'd agree. But Cincy has had an issue where clubhouse cancers have killed the team in the past (and almost cost Marvin Lewis his job in the process). He has NOT had a history of being able to control such players.

Belicheck on the other hand, has. I'm not saying it won't work out. But past history does have it's place here.[/QUOTE]

You do make a very valid point but what is different this year about Cicny than in years past? They are winning. They are being inspired by an assistant who jsut recently lost his wife to cancer. Ocho Cinco is more entertaining than a distraction this year. Maybe its just because they are winning games nad that changes everyones perception of the players, coaches, and organization as a whole.

Sure this isn't permanent - nothing in the NFL is, but for three months I would expect LJ to be on his best behovior because he has not played in a game that mattered in years.