Thread: The 2009 New York Jets are analagous to my golf game.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The 2009 New York Jets are analagous to my golf game.

On the torturous drive home from Giants Stadium yesterday, I considered how Rex Ryan's Jets are pretty much a mirror image of the way I swing the sticks.

I've had great days off the tee, great days with my irons, great days around the green and great days with the flat stick. But rarely, if ever, on the same day.

The Jets can be dominant on D. High-octane on O. Top notch on special teams. Coaching and game-plans can be borderline brilliant. But rarely, if ever, on the same day.

Realizing that I pretty much suck at golf, and likely always will, I keep coming back. Because there's that 270 yard straight-as-an-arrow drive down the middle of the narrow fairway, between the bunkers. That 7-iron to within 10 feet. That chip from the fringe that finds the hole, or that 30-foot double break putt that does a lap and drops. And when any of the above happens, it's like a drug. You come back because it feels so good, and you want more. Despite the fact that your scorecard looks like a battalion of marching snowmen.

After almost 40 years of investing extreme emotions into the Jets, it's been awhile since realizing that they pretty much suck, and likely always will. But I keep coming back. Because there's hot starts like 10-1 in '86, or 3-0 this year. The incredible 41-0 trouncing of Manning and the Colts in the playoffs, and the unbelievably exciting way they got in position to play that game the week prior. The naive optimism of signing players and coaches alike who promise to be the second coming. You come back because when things are going good, it's like a drug. You come back because it feels so good and you want more. Despite the fact that invariably at the end of the season your heart looks like a discarded cigar butt.

Yesterday, after the season's turn, the Jets shanked one into the woods off the tee. They followed that up with a crushing seeing-eye long iron between the trees to the middle of the fairway. The wedge was magic to within 6 inches. And then they missed the putt.

Next tee time is 4:05 pm on Sunday at Gillette National.

And I can't wait!
    Last edited by shakin318; 11-16-2009 at 02:07 PM.

All League
    you totally left me hanging there

And ?!?!?!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;3359412]you totally left me hanging there

And ?!?!?![/QUOTE]

Typo. But when you think about it, ironically apropos...because there's always more. You just have no idea how good or bad it's going to be.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=shakin318;3359424]Typo. But when you think about it, ironically apropos...because there's always more. You just have no idea how good or bad it's going to be.[/QUOTE]
    Beautiful analogy, Shakin. Im right there with you, cept, its the 170 off the tee that brings me back.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=BURGERMIKE;3359446]Beautiful analogy, Shakin. Im right there with you, cept, its the 170 off the tee that brings me back.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...270 is downhill, off of an elevated tee, with a stiff wind at the back.

Thunder Jug this!!! Dump

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jeT.MAC;3359461]Thunder Jug this!!! Dump[/QUOTE]

Post of the week! Here's your prize:

[IMG]http://www.nflgolfstore.com/new_york_jets_barrel_headcovers.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=shakin318;3359477]Post of the week! Here's your prize:

[IMG]http://www.nflgolfstore.com/new_york_jets_barrel_headcovers.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Sounds like my exact golf game as well. And I actually have those head covers (got them as a gift!)