Thread: Will college basketball be obsolete for NBA prospects?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Will college basketball be obsolete for NBA prospects?

What do you think? Brandon Jennings has paved a road for high school players with NBA ambition to skip college and go to Europe for a 1 year pay day.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think so. There's still a lot of pride, tradition, and value in the big-time schools to attract the top high school prospects. Guys who go to Europe are just robbing themselves of valuable experience, IMO.

Besides, I think college bball is more popular than the NBA now anyway. It's not like the attraction of college ball has diminished.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope so. College hoop was more fun to watch when players stayed there longer. Whether you rooted for or against them Georgetown was a fun team to watch during the Ewing era. Thats just one example, it was more fun to watch when the players stayed four years. One effect of the top players going pro so early is it forces more attention on the coaches. I don't see that as an improvement.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    I don't think so. There's still a lot of pride, tradition, and value in the big-time schools to attract the top high school prospects. Guys who go to Europe are just robbing themselves of valuable experience, IMO.

Besides, I think college bball is more popular than the NBA now anyway. It's not like the attraction of college ball has diminished.
    I'm not sure how college basketball is a more valuable experience for a player who knows he's one and done. The consensus is that the European leagues are better competition. Jennings probably gained a lot by playing vs. grown men, and I'm sure it didn't hurt that he got a $1.65 million contract, and $2 million dollar endorsement with Under Armour.

Also, wouldn't you enjoy spending a winter in Rome?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-18-2009 at 10:52 AM.