Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lincecum wins second straight Cy Young

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Lincecum wins second straight Cy Young

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4671110

NEW YORK -- Giants ace Tim Lincecum has won the NL Cy Young Award, becoming the first repeat winner in the major leagues since Randy Johnson was voted the prize four straight times from 1999-2002.

Lincecum led the NL with 261 strikeouts and tied for the league lead with four complete games and two shutouts.

Only 10 points separated the top three in one of the closest ballots in the award's history.

Lincecum received 11 first-place votes, 12 seconds and nine thirds for 100 points in balloting released Thursday by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Cardinals ace Chris Carpenter was next with 94 points and teammate Adam Wainwright finished third with 90 despite getting the most first-place votes with 12.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL.

The Cardinal pitchers split the vote and the 3rd best pitcher won the Cy Young.

LOL. Both Cardinal pitchers had better years than Lincecum. Heck, he only had 15 wins, the lowest win total in MLB history in a non strike shortened season to win the Cy Young (previous record was 16).

Incredible.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    LOL.

LOL. Both Cardinal pitchers had better years than Lincecum. Heck, he only had 15 wins, the lowest win total in MLB history in a non strike shortened season to win the Cy Young (previous record was 16).

Incredible.
    Carpenter didn't hit 200 innings and Lincecum had a more dominant year than Wainwright. Wainwright's main advantage is that he threw 8 more innings in 2 more starts.

Pretty weak year for NL pitching though...congrats to him. Awesome talent.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lincecum is a beast, but I would have went with Carpenter. I guess falling short of 200 innings hurt him.

My rankings:

1. Carpenter
    2. Lincecum
    3. Wainwright

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lincecum was the most dominant pitcher, much better strikeout rate, better BAA against, better OPS against....and he managed to pitch 33 more innings then Chris Carpenter.

Punishing him over Wins doesn't seem right when he didn't get to play with an Offense that had Albert Pujols in it and was killed because of a lack of run support all year long.

They were all deserving candidates, but I think they got this one right as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You mean Tim "Lince-ComePlayForTheYankees"?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL.

Incredible.
    Incredible indeed. Do you really use wins as a measuring stick for the Cy Young? Like Venom said, Lincecum was 100% the most dominant pitch of the three.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you imagine how much $ he's going to get in arb this year?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Can you imagine how much $ he's going to get in arb this year?
    You think they'll mention he won 2 straight Cy Young awards in his 2nd and 3rd season in the bigs?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought for sure that Carpenter would have won the NL Cy Young. Lincecum is an excellent pitcher though. They just finished interviewing Lincecum on the MLB Network. the dude looks all bonged out!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    I thought for sure that Carpenter would have won the NL Cy Young. Lincecum is an excellent pitcher though. They just finished interviewing Lincecum on the MLB Network. the dude looks all bonged out!!
    I'm sure he enjoyed a celebratory smoke after hearing the news.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I'm sure he enjoyed a celebratory smoke after hearing the news.

LOL. Imagine how much money he will demand on the open market. 2 time Cy Young winner ($$$$$$)!!!!! He only made $650,000 in 2009. I wonder what he'll make in 2010.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie46kf View Post
    Incredible indeed. Do you really use wins as a measuring stick for the Cy Young?
    No.

Carpenter -- 1.01 WHIP
    Lincecum -- 1.05 WHIP

Carpenter -- 2.24 ERA
    Lincecum -- 2.48 ERA

Carpenter -- 2.49 Home ERA, 8-2 record, 2 HRs allowed
    Lincecum -- 1.88 Home ERA, 10-2 record, 0 HRs allowed

Carpenter -- 2.05 Road ERA, 9-2 record, 5 HRs allowed
    Lincecum -- 3.21 Road ERA, 5-5 record, 10 HRs allowed

You were saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie46kf View Post
    Like Venom said, Lincecum was 100% the most dominant pitch of the three at home.
    Fixed. Lincecum was only a dominant pitcher at home. Carpenter had the more complete season. People mention that Carpenter didn't have 200 innings, but that was because he started 28 games compared to Lincecum's 32. They both averaged about 7 innings a start.
    Last edited by SMC; 11-19-2009 at 09:34 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    You mean Tim "Lince-ComePlayForTheYankees"?
    I'm really not sure that Lincecum could pull off anything resembling what he does in San Francisco if he came to the AL East. Forget the difference in hitting talent in the AL lineups compared to the NL, San Francisco is a great pitcher's park, unlike the New York launching pad. It'd be similar to what happened to Holliday moving to Oakland.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan44 View Post
    I'm really not sure that Lincecum could pull off anything resembling what he does in San Francisco if he came to the AL East. Forget the difference in hitting talent in the AL lineups compared to the NL, San Francisco is a great pitcher's park, unlike the New York launching pad. It'd be similar to what happened to Holliday moving to Oakland.
    Still only 10 HRs on the year. That is pretty impressive. I'm sure it'd go up, but still, you can dominate giving up solo HRs. It's not like the other pitcher he would be going against is pitching in a spacious park while he gets Yankee Stadium to pitch in... His ERA might go up, but great pitchers learn to adjust to the parks they are pitching in.

But he has 3 years left in San Fran, so no point in debating this yet... Maybe in 2 years they will look to trade him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    No.

Carpenter -- 1.01 WHIP
    Lincecum -- 1.05 WHIP

Carpenter -- 2.24 ERA
    Lincecum -- 2.48 ERA

Carpenter -- 2.49 Home ERA, 8-2 record, 2 HRs allowed
    Lincecum -- 1.88 Home ERA, 10-2 record, 0 HRs allowed

Carpenter -- 2.05 Road ERA, 9-2 record, 5 HRs allowed
    Lincecum -- 3.21 Road ERA, 5-5 record, 10 HRs allowed

You were saying?

Fixed. Lincecum was only a dominant pitcher at home. Carpenter had the more complete season. People mention that Carpenter didn't have 200 innings, but that was because he started 28 games compared to Lincecum's 32. They both averaged about 7 innings a start.
    Lincecum: 225 IP
    Carpenter: 192 IP

Lincecum: 168 H
    Carpenter: 156 H

Lincecum: 261 K
    Carpenter: 141 K

Lincecum: 4 CG
    Carpenter: 3 CG

Lincecum: 2 SHO
    Carpenter: 1 SHO

It doesn't matter why Carpenter didn't get to 200 IP, his season wasn't so dominant that that shouldn't be a huge factor. Carpenter was awesome, but 30 more innings of dominance is extremely valuable.
    Last edited by Chica me Tipo; 11-20-2009 at 02:07 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chica me Tipo View Post
    It doesn't matter why Carpenter didn't get to 200 IP, his season wasn't so dominant that that shouldn't be a huge factor. Carpenter was awesome, but 30 more innings of dominance is extremely valuable.
    Lincecum is definately an excellent pitcher, but I still don't see how people can say he had a better season than Carpenter.

Having more strikeouts and innings pitched (because of 4 more starts), while being worse in WHIP, ERA, and wins does not make Lincecum the more dominant pitcher.

The Cardinals split the vote. The 2 pitchers got 21 first place votes. If it had only been Carpenter vs. Lincecum, I believe Carpenter would have won and it wouldn't have been close. Plus, 2 voters left Carpenter off their ballot entirely which is idiotic.
    Last edited by SMC; 11-20-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lincecum is definately an excellent pitcher, but I still don't see how people can say he had a better season than Carpenter.

Having more strikeouts and innings pitched (because of 4 more starts), while being worse in WHIP, ERA, and wins does not make Lincecum the more dominant pitcher.

The Cardinals split the vote. The 2 pitchers got 21 first place votes. If it had only been Carpenter vs. Lincecum, I believe Carpenter would have won and it wouldn't have been close. Plus, 2 voters left Carpenter off their ballot entirely which is idiotic.
    There's a few factors why Lincecum had a better season. Before I start, a 1.01 WHIP to a 1.05 WHIP is not even worth putting in the argument. The difference is a few walks here and there.

Firstly, Lincecum's K/9 is 10.42 compared to Carpenter's 6.73. That is a ridiculous difference. He also has .209 BAA compared to Carpenter's .223. If that isn't domination, I don't know what is.

That reason Carpenter's has such an ERA advantage is because of the defense he has behind him. His FIP was 2.78 compared to Lincecum's, which was 2.34. Not only that, wins shouldn't even enter to conversation as Carpenter played on a MUCH better offensive team.

Stats like wins and ERA don't tell the whole story. Lincecum was def. the better pitcher in '09
    Last edited by Ollie46kf; 11-20-2009 at 09:33 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL.

Incredible.
    Lincecum was better than both of those guys. Wins and losses really don't matter in terms of how well a pitcher pitched.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    And they say pot is for losers.