Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Le Hand of God (France vs. Ireland)

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    To be honest, Henry’s getting blasted around the globe as a cheater, but it’s not very fair.
    I agree.

First of all there is no offsides in that position. There is another player offsides but Henry comes from behind to get the ball. This used to be called as "passive offside" but they're not called anymore unless the player creates an obvious advantage.

As for the handball. It's a mistake by the ref, no more no less. Now it's the Irish that got screwed but there isn't one team on the planet that doesn't get screwed over by the referees. It just makes more noise when it happens to the smaller teams.

It's ridicilous to think every mistake by the ref should result in a replay. This was a big one, but **** happens.

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I agree.

First of all there is no offsides in that position. There is another player offsides but Henry comes from behind to get the ball. This used to be called as "passive offside" but they're not called anymore unless the player creates an obvious advantage.

As for the handball. It's a mistake by the ref, no more no less. Now it's the Irish that got screwed but there isn't one team on the planet that doesn't get screwed over by the referees. It just makes more noise when it happens to the smaller teams.

It's ridicilous to think every mistake by the ref should result in a replay. This was a big one, but **** happens.
    It has nothing to do with a smaller "team"... It's how blatant the missed call was. Maradona's "Hand of God" goal wasn't a big deal because England is small, it was a big deal because it was such a huge mistake that cost England a chance at the semifinal (To be fair, that goal happened only 6 min into the 2nd half, and was followed by the most impressive WC goal you'll ever see).

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I don't speak french but its funny how their voices change when they show the replay and its obvious he cheated.

i'm french-irish...i'm so torn...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    F*cking bullsh*t
    First time I ever agreed with you...

Le tuck rule

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I agree.

Thanks for the help, but I disagree. It wasn't passive offside. Squillaci is clearly playing the ball (and actually almost does a handball himself). If he doesn't play the ball, maybe Given goes for it.

It made a lot of noise because of the context: OT with a few minutes left in a playoff round.

Wow...Roy Keane doesn't carry a grudge long, eh?

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/67/wo...against-france

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Wow...Roy Keane doesn't carry a grudge long, eh?

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/67/wo...against-france

"There was one of the group games, I'm sure it was against Georgia, where Ireland got a penalty and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen which changed the whole course of the game.

"I think Robbie [Keane] scored the penalty and Ireland went on to win it.

"I don't remember the FAI saying after the game we should have had a replay.

Pretty rotten call as well. Don't know WTF the ref saw there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf9fx4ipF4Q

It is no hand of God. Hand of a deceiver. A player of the class of Henry did such a horrible thing. Shame!! I was always in support for a re-match but they banned Henry to play in WC. i think they should have banned him for a year.

Undrafted Free Agent
    im an irishman and i feel sorry for henry to an extent. iv done the same thing in 5 a side soccer but didnt get away with it and said fair enough. its fifa that are the problem. video refs are a must.

Jets Insider VIP
    So, the referee who didn't see Henry's hand ball is one of 30 refs selected by FIFA for the World Cup.

I think this is an appropriate time for: What La F*ck?