Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 134

Thread: The harping all over & bashing of Kerry Rhodes around here is freaking ridiculous...

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St.Pete, FL
    Posts
    6,100

    The harping all over & bashing of Kerry Rhodes around here is freaking ridiculous...

    Not only has Kerry Rhodes been a huge reason why the Jets pass Defense ranks as a top 5 secondary here in 2009 (Along with Revis and Leonard), but Kerry Rhodes has also been nothing but productive, he's actually been more than "Just Productive" since becoming a starter back in 2005 as a rookie (Still hasn't missed a single NFL start since being drafted into the league by the Jets).

    Not only has Kerry Rhodes put up some big time numbers out of the safety position, but his numbers also rank right up there with just about each and every elite safety in the game today.

    For the Jet fans thats been calling for Rhodes to be traded, released or benched...For the Jet fans thats been calling Kerry Rhodes "Overrated" or "All hype"...For the Jet fans thats been saying Kerry Rhodes "Doesn't make plays"...Well, then, it's obvious that you all know nothing about the game of football, or atleast know nothing about the Safety position; nothing.

    It's obvious that you all fail to see talent, when talent is standing right infront of you, while looking at you in the mirror at the same time. It's also obvious that you all have no idea on how important Kerry Rhodes is to the success and future success of our Defense under Rex Ryan; because other than Revis, he's the most talented athlete we have back there when compared to players such as Lowery (Still making rookie mistakes), Sheppard (Cant seem to stay healthy), Leonard (Hurt) and Smith (Career backup).

    Together, Darrelle Revis and Kerry Rhodes make for one of the most elite 1-2 punches at the CB/S Position in the game today (Just go ask Tom Brady and Randy Moss about that one). How some of you Jet fans fail to see all of this, it's simply beyond me...It really is.

    Kerry Rhodes was the starting safety under Herm Edwards, Kerry Rhodes was the starting safety under Eric Mangini, Kerry Rhodes is still our starting safety under Rex Ryan... You Jet fans can bash Kerry Rhodes all you like, because the bottom line is this... Each and every NFL head coach would love to have Kerry Rhodes on their roster... John Gruden isn't the only one who feels that Kerry Rhodes is a top-notch talent at the Safety position, they all do.

    You all say Kerry Rhodes isn't productive? Yeah, ok. Yeah, Kerry Rhodes "Isn't a football player", is that the main reason why the man has never missed a single start?

    Lets just see how his numbers match up against big name Safetys such as Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Bob Sanders, Adrian Wilson and Brian Dawkins. I bet they compete.

    Over the past 5 years, since Kerry Rhodes has been in the league...

    Age:
    Kerry Rhodes: 27
    Troy Polamalu: 28
    Bob Sanders: 28
    Adrian Wilson: 30
    Ed Reed: 31
    Brian Dawkins: 36

    Games played:
    Kerry Rhodes: 73
    Ed Reed: 67
    Brian Dawkins: 67
    Adrian Wilson: 65
    Troy Polamalu: 61
    Bob Sanders: 41

    Tackles:
    Kerry Rhodes: 396
    Brian Dawkins: 354
    Adrian Wilson: 351
    Troy Polamalu: 319
    Bob Sanders: 257
    Ed Reed: 215

    Pass Deflections:
    Brian Dawkins: 54
    Troy Polamalu: 51
    Ed Reed: 50
    Kerry Rhodes: 39
    Adrian Wilson: 32
    Bob Sanders: 14

    Forced Fumbles:
    Brian Dawkins: 15
    Adrian Wilson: 8
    Kerry Rhodes: 6
    Troy Polamalu: 5
    Ed Reed: 5
    Bob Sanders: 2

    INT's
    Ed Reed: 24
    Troy Polamalu: 15
    Kerry Rhodes: 12
    Adrian Wilson: 11
    Brian Dawkins: 9
    Bob Sanders: 6

    Defensive TD's:
    Ed Reed: 4
    Adrian Wilson: 1
    Kerry Rhodes: 0
    Troy Polamalu: 0
    Brian Dawkins: 0
    Bob Sanders: 0

    Sacks:
    Adrian Wilson: 16
    Kerry Rhodes: 9
    Brian Dawkins: 7 1/2
    Troy Polamalu: 4
    Bob Sanders: 3 1/2
    Ed Reed: 1

    Kerry Rhodes is the youngest, Kerry Rhodes has played in the most games over the past 5 years than any of those elite Safetys, Kerry Rhodes has the most tackles of any of those elite safetys over the past 5 years, he also has the 2nd most sacks of any of those elite safetys over the past 5 years...

    You all were saying what about Kerry Rhodes? Like I was saying...Not only has Kerry Rhodes one of the most gifted, talented and productive Safetys around the league over the past 5 years; but he's also been one of the best.

  2. #2
    no topic is complete without a DWC thread started separately from the original thread

    rhodes has no INTS or sacks this year. we need him to make plays

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,475
    Rhodes is a good player but his shameless self promotion and attention whore statements tend to overshadow his performance (or lack thereof this season).

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St.Pete, FL
    Posts
    6,100
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    no topic is complete without a DWC thread started separetly from the original thread

    rhodes has no INTS or sacks this year. we need him to make plays
    I made this thread in reply to the thread about Kerry Rhodes getting released next year to free up salary cap space; that thread is now in the dump.

    Rhodes may not have any sacks or INT's on the season, but as we can all see, the man is one of the best when it comes to rushing the passer (Rex just isn't sending the man). And it's not his fault that he's not getting INT after INT, thats because Revis is shutting down opposing O's right side and to be honest... He's doing everything that a Safety should be doing for our Defense. It's not the plays that Rhodes makes that matter, it's the plays that Rhodes doesn't allow opposing TE's and WR's to make...Thats what matters the most @ the safety position.

    The Jets have a top 5 Secondary as of right now; production wise... Revis and Rhodes are the two main reasons why other than the pass rush that was really strong to start off the season.
    Last edited by DefenseWinsChampionships2; 11-19-2009 at 07:18 PM.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    Not only has Kerry Rhodes one of the most gifted, talented and productive Safetys around the league over the past 5 years; but he's also been one of the best.
    Too bad only you and Rhodes think that.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,783
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    I made this thread in reply to the thread about Kerry Rhodes getting released next year to free up salary cap space; that thread is now in the dump.

    Rhodes may not have any sacks or INT's on the season, but as we can all see, the man is one of the best when it comes to rushing the passer (Rex just isn't sending the man). And it's not his fault that he's not getting INT after INT, thats because Revis is shutting down opposing O's right side and to be honest... He's doing everything that a Safety should be doing for our Defense. It's not the plays that Rhodes makes that matter, it's the plays that Rhodes doesn't allow opposing TE's and WR's to make...Thats what matters the most @ the safety position.

    The Jets have a top 5 Secondary as of right now; production wise... Revis and Rhodes are the two main reasons why.


    Ignore the haters...judging a safety by his number of INTs is like judging a pitcher by his number of wins...more of a situational thing than anything else. Kerry's had a fine season, no matter what posters on this board want to say.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,242
    Rhodes had one probowl like season. One. He was paid like one of the top safeties in the league after that and has been non existent ever since. Not only has he not been the elite player that he thinks he is, he is barely earning the title of "average" and has become a liability in the secondary.

    It would be one thing if he was just an underachiever. These are the Jets and any fan is used to players disappearing after they get a contract. Hell, it would be shocking if a player did anything but regress after they got a fat new contract. But what makes things SO much worse is that he is one of the biggest media whores in the league. His blogs, his websites, his youstreams, his twitter make me want to PUKE. For this d-bag to have the nerve to ask people to repeatedly give him probowl votes when his sh*tty play directly resulted in the jets losing their last game and likely missing the playoffs is absolutely inexcusable. He should do the rest of his team a favor and retire now so those pesky practices don't have to cut into his photo shoots.

    Kerry Rhodes has been sh*t, here in 2009. Write your essays and spin your stats anyway you want, it doesn't change reality. Kerry Rhodes is a failure and you are too.

  8. #8
    Don't forget to mention the fact that unlike Sanders and Polamalu, the guy stays on the field.

    Kerry Rhodes is a very good safety, not HoF, but very good. It is not a position of concern.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Ignore the haters...judging a safety by his number of INTs is like judging a pitcher by his number of wins...more of a situational thing than anything else. Kerry's had a fine season, no matter what posters on this board want to say.
    Rhodes is one of the main reasons for the sucktitude of the Jets defense in many of these games.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St.Pete, FL
    Posts
    6,100
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Ignore the haters...judging a safety by his number of INTs is like judging a pitcher by his number of wins...more of a situational thing than anything else. Kerry's had a fine season, no matter what posters on this board want to say.
    Knocking Kerry Rhodes for his production this season, is like knocking Ferguson, Faneca, Mangold, Moore and Woody for their run blocking this year for Thomas Jones; when the Jets Offense ranks #1 in rushing yards (With a RAW Rookie QB behind center).

    How can anyone knock Kerry Rhodes, when the Jets pass Defense is one of the best overall pass D's in the game today?

    Same as fans knocking players such as Cotchery, Edwards and Keller for not having "Career numbers" this season...Do they not know that the Jets rush the rock more than any other team in the league? Did they forget we had a rookie QB under center, with only one year of college starting experience?

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Don't forget to mention the fact that unlike Sanders and Polamalu, the guy stays on the field.

    Kerry Rhodes is a very good safety, not HoF, but very good. It is not a position of concern.
    What team have you been watching the past two years?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Don't forget to mention the fact that unlike Sanders and Polamalu, the guy stays on the field.

    Kerry Rhodes is a very good safety, not HoF, but very good. It is not a position of concern.
    He's adequate. He's not a play maker or a game changer. Unfortunately he is being paid like one. He has not been good this season.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,314
    Quote Originally Posted by player1322 View Post
    Kerry Rhodes is a failure and you are too.
    Hey, no need to get personal.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,826
    Kerry Rhodes is a very good player whose contributions this season have been more in what he's prevented and what you don't see on TV (big pass plays, big plays in general) than what you do see (Sacks, INTs) I must say, I've always thought that Rhodes was a great blitzer, so I'm a little surprised that Rex hasn't been turning him loose more, but that's part of his system, so that's fine.

    What Kerry needs to realize, however, that if he's going to be a quietly effective safety (which is fine, because I think plenty of teams would be happy to have a player like him) then he needs to shut up off the field. Unless he starts making a run of picks or sacks (which I don't expect, since picks are usually a function of a pass rush more than great secondary play) I'd like to see him quietly go about his business.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St.Pete, FL
    Posts
    6,100
    Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    Kerry Rhodes is a very good player whose contributions this season have been more in what he's prevented and what you don't see on TV (big pass plays, big plays in general) than what you do see (Sacks, INTs) I must say, I've always thought that Rhodes was a great blitzer, so I'm a little surprised that Rex hasn't been turning him loose more, but that's part of his system, so that's fine.

    What Kerry needs to realize, however, that if he's going to be a quietly effective safety (which is fine, because I think plenty of teams would be happy to have a player like him) then he needs to shut up off the field. Unless he starts making a run of picks or sacks (which I don't expect, since picks are usually a function of a pass rush more than great secondary play) I'd like to see him quietly go about his business.
    You make really good points... I'm not a fan of Kerry Rhodes and his twitter accounts and stuff like that off the field, I wouldn't mind Kerry Rhodes staying more on the low-key side off the field and with the media, but as a fan of the Jets (And a huge fan of the Defensive side of the ball); I honestly know how important his talents are to our secondary. Behind Darrelle Revis-Kerry Rhodes is our next best thing as far as talent goes.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,650
    your list of stats there isn't that impressive if you ask me. he's getting beat in everything except tackles and he's played the most games. lol.

    look, just watch him on the field. he doesn't make plays. he hasn't all year. i don't see how THAT is even an argument. you want to bring up what he has done up until this year? fine, but that proves nothing to me. right NOW, IMO, he's not even a top 10 safety. he's average.

  17. #17
    He is a good player having a bad year. He looks confused at times in the secondary is not on the same page as his teammates it seems. Rhodes was a prime culprit in the Miami and Jacksonville games. He may have been there on the Evans catch but I dont recall if he was there or not in the Bills game. You won't hear the other safeties you mentioned be in that many game changing bad plays in a season.

    He makes the most tackles because he has played a ton of games and in general the Jets defense was bad, so he had a ton of chances to make tackles. He does alot of things good, but nothing great whereas the elite safeties usually do something great. This year just happens to be really bad for him on the field and he makes a ton of money so he is an easy target. He also doesnt make things better for himself by being so talkative. Nothing upsets people more than a guy talking the talk, but not walking the walk. You saw Jim Leonhard put the heat on himself for what happened last week. Rhodes never does anything like that. If he did people would be so harsh. Cutting him would be crazy though and he has a manageable cap number probably thru 2011.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    St.Pete, FL
    Posts
    6,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    your list of stats there isn't that impressive if you ask me. he's getting beat in everything except tackles and he's played the most games. lol.
    He's also 2nd in sacks, 3rd in INT's...He's an all around safety who can just about do it all, he ranks right up there with the elite big name Safetys around the league for a reason (Production wise), because the man is a true talent and one of the Defensive leaders on a Defense that ranks top 5 around the NFL.

  19. #19
    Oh another thread. Keep up the good work.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenseWinsChampionships2 View Post
    Well, then, it's obvious that you all know nothing about the game of football.
    Thank god they have you to set them straight.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us