Thread: Boras has base line for a Damon deal

Boras has base line for a Damon deal

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10357594

Boras has base line for a Damon deal -- 5:10 p.m.

The Angels awarded right fielder Bobby Abreu a two-year, $19 million contract before he even became a free agent.

Rest assured that Scott Boras, the agent for left fielder Johnny Damon, will argue that on the open market, his client deserves more.

Such a position could — repeat, could — be bad news for the Yankees if they wish to re-sign Damon to a one- or even two-year contract.

Both Damon and Abreu will be 36 on Opening Day. It seems doubtful that Boras could score three years or more for Damon. But all the agent must do is persuade one team.

While Damon benefited from playing at the new Yankee Stadium last season, he posted a career-high in OPS-plus, a statistic that is adjusted to a player's league and park.

Damon had more home runs than Abreu, 24 to 15. Abreu had more stolen bases, 30 to 12. Neither is a strong defender, but Damon moves better overall.

Boras has been talking up Damon's value as a No. 2 hitter behind Derek Jeter. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman does not dispute Boras' points.

The question, as always, will be price, and Abreu establishes a baseline for Damon.

Two years, $19 million.

Damon is absolutely a useless fielder. He's nothing more than a professional DH.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Damon is absolutely a useless fielder. He's nothing more than a professional DH.
    No argument here, I wouldn't mind him being our DH, but that's only if we bring in a LF who can replace Matsui's bat. (Matt Holliday)

With that said, we also won a World Series with Damon as out left fielder, I can deal with his weakness as a outfielder because of what he brings to the top of the Yankees order.

I think the only question is whether Damon would accept arbitration or not. He'd probably get around 1/$15M, so you'd think he would, but not if Boras really thinks he can get 3 years somewhere. Personally I wouldn't offer more than a 1 year deal for Damon.

Banned
    I wish Damon luck trying to find a 2 year $19 million deal. Maybe the Mess have an offer on the table it wouldn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    I wish Damon luck trying to find a 2 year $19 million deal. Maybe the Mess have an offer on the table it wouldn't surprise me.
    It would surprise me if the Yankees didn't give it to him, they buy everyone else

**** boras. The yankees should stop dealing with him ENTIRELY- lets see how many MLB clients he has in 5 years...

Quote Originally Posted by JayTPenny View Post
    **** boras. The yankees should stop dealing with him ENTIRELY- lets see how many MLB clients he has in 5 years...
    If we didn't deal with Boras, we wouldn't of won the World Series.

2. Johnny Damon
    3. Mark Teixeira
    4. Alex Rodriguez

The heart of our lineup is Boras clients.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-23-2009 at 12:09 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTPenny View Post
    Its just business...this stuff can't be taken personally.

If you play in Free Agency...you play for keeps.

It would be idiotic to refuse to sign a player because of who represents him.

Scott Boros is just the Nature of the Beast.