Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time I've ever lost a job...

First time I've ever lost a job...

Sorry to be a downer, but...I was just informed that my services at my current company will no longer be required after the 1st of the year. The company is bleeding from every orafice, and they are going through a massive layoff. As an exec of an area that was cutting drastically (IT), I became expendable.

Wow...Never lost a job...ever. I guess I will tell my wife and kids after the holiday? Who wants to hear that nonsense on Thanksgiving??

Time to dust myself off, get moving and find another gig!

[QUOTE=morite;3371571]Sorry to be a downer, but...I was just informed that my services at my current company will no longer be required after the 1st of the year. The company is bleeding from every orafice, and they are going through a massive layoff. As an exec of an area that was cutting drastically (IT), I became expendable.

Wow...Never lost a job...ever. I guess I will tell my wife and kids after the holiday? Who wants to hear that nonsense on Thanksgiving??
    [B][U]
    Time to dust myself off, get moving and find another gig![/U][/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that buddy, you definitely have the right attitude though - you'll get something bigger and better!

Jets Insider VIP
    Sorry to hear that, man. Keep your head up...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Sorry to hear that. I'll say a prayer for you.:(

Damn dude...sucks. Good luck in the future, you'll be fine. Enjoy the holidays, make sure your family does too.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Sorry man, any severence? Get back on that horse. There is a guy on another board(*********) who is an IT recruiter. I think his user name is JIF. Maybe helpful.

astrics came up, think of football team and nation.
    Last edited by BURGERMIKE; 11-24-2009 at 12:23 PM.

[QUOTE=BURGERMIKE;3371589]Sorry man, any severence? Get back on that horse. There is a guy on another board(*********) who is an IT recruiter. I think his user name is JIF. Maybe helpful.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man...some severance, though not nearly enough to sustain me for any length of time! I'll definitely see if I can hunt this JIF down. Every contact helps these days!

Thanks to all of you fellow long-suffering Jets fans and your words of support. It is GREATLY appreciated!!

wow, sorry to hear this. I was an IT Support Tech at Barclays Capital when they axed 1 year ago this time. It was probably the most challanging time in my marriage. But thankfully I was given a severance and benefits extention which literally carried me into my current job, which I scored in March. I would hope they at least did the same for you. Also, when eligible, make sure you file for unemployment benefits. You paid into it, so it's time you get the help back.

Good luck and please hold your head high. In my case, this was the best thing to happen to me, as I got a job 10 minutes by car, and comparitive salary. Life is better now.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=LIDeadHead;3371597]wow, sorry to hear this. I was an IT Support Tech at Barclays Capital when they axed 1 year ago this time. It was probably the most challanging time in my marriage. But thankfully I was given a severance and benefits extention which literally carried me into my current job, which I scored in March. I would hope they at least did the same for you. Also, when eligible, make sure you file for unemployment benefits. You paid into it, so it's time you get the help back.

Good luck and please hold your head high. In my case, this was the best thing to happen to me, as I got a job 10 minutes by car, and comparitive salary. Life is better now.[/QUOTE]
    Glad to hear you no longer on Dole! ;)

- Crazy Japanese Banana Guy

[QUOTE=morite;3371595]Thanks man...some severance, though not nearly enough to sustain me for any length of time! I'll definitely see if I can hunt this JIF down. Every contact helps these days!

Thanks to all of you fellow long-suffering Jets fans and your words of support. It is GREATLY appreciated!![/QUOTE]

Pauliec is also a recruiter I believe....

Sorry to hear that man. Sounds like you got the right attitude, so just keep your head up and things will work out for the best. Good call with letting the family know after the holiday as well. I would do the same. Best of luck to you. ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

sorry about that morite- hate hearing this or seeing businesses shut down but the situation is worse than most think....hang in there- it'll work out some way or another...

Very sorry. I have 3 thoughts that I hope are helpful in this tough time. LIDH's post is outstanding as well.

It happened to me in 1991 and indirectly that's how I started my own business. In retrospect, best thing that ever happened to me and I HOPE that somehow this gets you to a new/different/better level that would never happen had you stayed in the same job.

While building my current practice I have met MANY MANY succesful business people, funny but the majority of them have been fired/laid off at least once. The humbling of this event helps you in ways you never thought because you recognize that $hit happens.

My personal experience is don't be afraid to tell your family. It is shocking how supportive even young kids can be. I have fond memories of my kids sharing a drink at McD's with 2 straws because I was trying to save money and they look back with fondness as well.

BE STRONG!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

very sorry to hear morite...I wish I could offer more that that

Jets Insider VIP
    sorry to hear that morite;good luck.

LIDH - great sig pic :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    sorry man. i may be joining you in those ranks soon too. writing is on the wall.

this economy is teh suck.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=morite;3371571]Sorry to be a downer, but...I was just informed that my services at my current company will no longer be required after the 1st of the year. The company is bleeding from every orafice, and they are going through a massive layoff. As an exec of an area that was cutting drastically (IT), I became expendable.

Time to dust myself off, get moving and find another gig![/QUOTE]

Stay positive man. Seriously. It's easier said than done but in today's economy you know it isn't you and there are millions of others in the same boat.

Don't bottle it up either if it will eat at you over the holiday. Maybe not the kids, but think about telling the wife for sure. Try to enjoy the holiday and start regrouping and setting a plan come Monday.

I'm a believer that every change is an opportunity. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff you've wanted to do, wanted to try, or thought about switching to "if I only had the time." Maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

Best of luck.

Remember,

Money is money, but you'll never get another chance at life. Wherever this next one takes you, it's worth it.

Jobs are everywhere, albeit a little tougher now. YOu'll be fine.

Great attitude.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3371862]Stay positive man. Seriously. It's easier said than done but in today's economy you know it isn't you and there are millions of others in the same boat.

Don't bottle it up either if it will eat at you over the holiday. Maybe not the kids, but think about telling the wife for sure. Try to enjoy the holiday and start regrouping and setting a plan come Monday.

[B]I'm a believer that every change is an opportunity. I'm sure there's a ton of stuff you've wanted to do, wanted to try, or thought about switching to "if I only had the time." Maybe it's a blessing in disguise.[/B]
    Best of luck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks 23 (and everyone else):

I feel the same way. Being in this situation was totally out of my control, but what I do now and how I go about getting back on my feet is totally within my control. I've already started things in motion (and had been for some time now), so that I'm not just starting from square one the moment I walk out of here with my cardboard box a little over a month from now.

Again, thanks for the words of encouragement and support, guys. As crazy as these threads can get, the site is made up of a bunch of good people with their own challenges trying to get ahead in life. You guys rock...

:uhhuh:

Sorry to hear this bud. Keep at it, you'll get back on your feet.