Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox going hard after Halladay

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Red Sox going hard after Halladay

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4687981

The Boston Red Sox are ready to deal and they want to see an ace.

Citing an unnamed source, the New York Daily News reported on Tuesday that the team is "putting on a full-court press" to acquire Roy Halladay from the Toronto Blue Jays.

"They would love to get it wrapped up before the winter meetings [beginning Dec. 7]," the source said, according to the newspaper.

Halladay's name was mentioned prominently in relation to the Red Sox at the trade deadline last summer when the Jays said they were shopping the right-hander, but no deal could be worked out and he stayed put.

The six-time All-Star went 17-10 with a 2.79 ERA and 208 strikeouts in 2009, but the Jays finished 75-87 and a whopping 28 games behind the first-place Yankees.

Halladay, who has pitched his entire 12-year career with Toronto, has expressed a desire to win. The Red Sox, Yankees, and Angels have all been mentioned prominently as possible suitors for the 2003 Cy Young winner.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Halladay, Lester, Becket and Dice K would be a sick 1-4 if everyone stays healthy.

Jets Insider VIP
    It's hard to believe any of this stuff any more. 95% of what you hear is either made up by a reporter to make a headline, floated out there by a team exec to bluff rivals teams, or by an agent looking to create interest in their client.

Despite reports, I still can't trust that Toronto is willing to trade this guy within the division.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    It's hard to believe any of this stuff any more. 95% of what you hear is either made up by a reporter to make a headline, floated out there by a team exec to bluff rivals teams, or by an agent looking to create interest in their client.

Despite reports, I still can't trust that Toronto is willing to trade this guy within the division.
    Halladay already stated the he does not want to stay in Toronto and he obviously wants to go to a contender. The Jays are willing to trade him within the division, aslong as they get a certain amount of value back. I remember that A-hole Ricciardi publicly saying how much extra value he wants if Halladay was to go to an AL East team

Jets Insider VIP
    I know people will say that if the Sox trade for Halladay they'll pay him, but I was Halladay I wouldn't sign an extension with anyone.

This is his last big chance for a mega payday. Sabathia did it even when traded. He refused to sign any extension and hit the market.

There's 2 ways to go about this, the Santana way (trade & sign extension) or Sabathia way (trade, go free agent). Sabathia got a bigger deal than Santana, right?

Halladay has to see what's best for him, but I think going FA is the best bet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Gholstons Revenge View Post
    Halladay already stated the he does not want to stay in Toronto and he obviously wants to go to a contender. The Jays are willing to trade him within the division, aslong as they get a certain amount of value back. I remember that A-hole Ricciardi publicly saying how much extra value he wants if Halladay was to go to an AL East team
    Any smart GM would. We're talking about the best pitcher in baseball and Toronto's biggest (and only?) commodity.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I know people will say that if the Sox trade for Halladay they'll pay him, but I was Halladay I wouldn't sign an extension with anyone.

This is his last big chance for a mega payday. Sabathia did it even when traded. He refused to sign any extension and hit the market.

There's 2 ways to go about this, the Santana way (trade & sign extension) or Sabathia way (trade, go free agent). Sabathia got a bigger deal than Santana, right?

Halladay has to see what's best for him, but I think going FA is the best bet.
    He is going to get a huge pay day, any team that trades for him will be forced to sign him to a large extension... same as Santana

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post

+1

Sports rumors have just become diluted, though I love reading them anyway.

I wonder what Boston would give up...

Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    +1

Sports rumors have just become diluted, though I love reading them anyway.

I wonder what Boston would give up...
    Clay Buchholz, Casey Kelly, Ryan Kalish, and Micheal Bowden... something like that

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Clay Buchholz, Casey Kelly, Ryan Kalish, and Micheal Bowden... something like that
    That would be a steal for the Red Sox*. Yankees need to get involved and make an offer to drive up the price and force the Red Sox to give up Lester and/or Ellsbury. Offer a package of Joba, Melky and Alfredo Aceves. What's the worst thing that can happen? We end up with Roy Halladay and CC as our top 2 starters?

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    That would be a steal for the Red Sox*. Yankees need to get involved and make an offer to drive up the price and force the Red Sox to give up Lester and/or Ellsbury. Offer a package of Joba, Melky and Alfredo Aceves. What's the worst thing that can happen? We end up with Roy Halladay and CC as our top 2 starters?
    I 100% don't want this to happen. I think this would be a huuuge mistake. I think we should drive up the price. We could just sign Lackey for nothing and have CC, AJ, Lackey

Red Sox offer is better... Regardless, drive us the price, yes... but let them make the final offer, The Sox are chasing us, we are the World Champions, we don't need to do give up our farm system for a 33 year old starter.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-25-2009 at 12:19 PM.

Banned
    Red Sox offer is better... Regardless, drive us the price, yes... but let them make the final offer, The Sox are chasing us, we are the World Champions, we don't need to do give up our farm system for a 33 year old starter.
    I agree. The Red Sox* have to be the ones making the final offer but no way should they be allowed to steal Roy Halladay - a top 3 pitcher in the game wiith 5-6 good years left - for Clay Bucholz and trash. They have to be forced to give up at least Jon Lester.

I agree. The Red Sox* have to be the ones making the final offer but no way should they be allowed to steal Roy Halladay - a top 3 pitcher in the game wiith 5-6 good years left - for Clay Bucholz and trash. They have to be forced to give up at least Jon Lester.
    They're not going to... Yankees don't have a proven young pitcher like that to match up with them, so why would he be on the table?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gholstons Revenge View Post
    I 100% don't want this to happen. I think this would be a huuuge mistake. I think we should drive up the price. We could just sign Lackey for nothing and have CC, AJ, Lackey
    I think in the end we're just going to resign Pettite to a 1 year deal and go with CC, AJ, Andy, Joba and Hughes as the rotation next year. Lackey will be a Met, Red Suck or Angel again.

I just think it's ridiculous the fact that there is a possibility that the Red Sox are going to get Halladay for Bucholz, who is overrated, and table scraps. That's robbery. Can the damn Phillies offer JA Happ and prospects again and bag Halladay so we don't have to face Beckett-Halladay-Lester everytime we face Boston?

Maybe we can loan money to the Dodgers to trade for him.

Banned
    They're not going to... Yankees don't have a proven young pitcher like that to match up with them, so why would he be on the table?
    Joba has already shown he can be a succesful starter when Girardi isn't toying with him and limiting to 4 innings or starting him once over 6 days. He was 8-2 with a below 4 ERA last season before the Yankees started jerking him around.

I just think it's funny how all season long people were saying it was impossible for the Jays to trade Halladay to a team in their division and now they're possibly about to give Halladay to the Sux for an overrated prospect and trash. At least when we got Clemens from Torontowe gave up David Wells.

Joba has already shown he can be a succesful starter when Girardi isn't toying with him and limiting to 4 innings or starting him once over 6 days. He was 8-2 with a below 4 ERA last season before the Yankees started jerking him around.

I just think it's funny how all season long people were saying it was impossible for the Jays to trade Halladay to a team in their division and now they're possibly about to give Halladay to the Sux for an overrated prospect and trash. At least when we got Clemens from Torontowe gave up David Wells.
    Maybe, maybe not... but he's def. not on the same level as Jon Lester. Lester is one of the best left handed pitchers in baseball, he's a proven commodity.

Joba and Buchholz are more on par with each other.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-25-2009 at 03:04 PM.

Lol the Red Sox wouldn't trade Lester. The guy has overcome cancer to become one of the ten best pitchers in the league at 25 years old. He's a power lefty who is entirely capable of averaging over a K an inning.

I'm pretty sure the Yankees would be laughed out of wherever they are if the best they had to offer was Joba, Melky, and Aceves.

Well Bowden sucks, but I don't see the Sox giving up both Buchholz and Kelly.