Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Rate Ryan's Coaching Perfomance Thread

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Official Rate Ryan's Coaching Perfomance Thread

[B]RATE ON SCALE OF 1-10[/B]

We are just past the mid point of the season. Early in September, I was pumped when I would hear him talk about this team and the defense. I do believe that playing defense is as much about attitude as it is ability. However, I think he and his team have been talking too much at this point and they just need to focus on playing.

I like the swagger or over-confidence he has instilled in this team. Even the offense has confidence that maybe they should not have right now. Love the fact that Thomas Jones is running well and Ryan is supporting a strong run game.

If I could change one thing, it would be how he has (or hasn't) developed Sanchez. To me, he needs to get more involved in that development and not leave it all to his assistants. I do not believe they are managing him well right now. This is not about his on field performance but more about his off the field preparation, handling the media, etc etc

So, on a scale of 1-10 so far this season, [B]I will give him a 7[/B]. He has elevated this team but still has a long way to go.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Poll coming :i_dont_kn

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with 7. Good considering the circumstances (first year on the job, rookie QB, huge injuries, a little bad luck)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd give him an 8. We haven't been blown out of any games this season and the same way we are 4-6 we could have easily been 7-3. He has made some rookie mistakes but he seems to be learning from his mistakes and looking to improve. The only knocks I can think of is not taking enough control of every aspect of the game (Offense & ST) and being way to loyal to his rookie QB Sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;3374578]I'd give him an 8. [B]We hadn't been blown out of any games this season until last week[/B] and the same way we are 4-6 we could have easily been 7-3. He has made some rookie mistakes but he seems to be learning from his mistakes and looking to improve. The only knocks I can think of is not taking enough control of every aspect of the game (Offense & ST) and being way to loyal to his rookie QB Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

Fixed...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Generally a positive review (8), however I'm not sure 10 games is a fair barometer. I'm inclined to score an "INCOMPLETE"

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll give him an 8.

There's a lot of things I feel good about in regards to Rex; he handles the NY media like a natural (i.e. klenex on the podium), he has no problem taking accountability, is honest and doesn't insult your intelligence like Mangini's BS, has a respectable 4-6 record with a rookie QB, already shut out an opponent this season, beat Bill B and is weeding out the weak links until this team is deep with [B][U]football[/U][/B] players, not models and bodybuilders.

Most importantly, its refreshing to have a head coach notices the same issues we see and addresses them, Rhodes being the most obvious -- Gholston being another.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'll go only as high as a 5, but i think that is the ceiling for a rookie HC that doesn't have his squad shocking the league.

he is nowhere near coaching his team in contention, although his team rarely gives up - fails to execute, that is another story.

he is a .500 coach as a rookie, and will get a .500 rating from me.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lazy Bum;3374593]i'll go only as high as a 5, but i think that is the ceiling for a rookie HC that doesn't have his squad shocking the league.

he is nowhere near coaching his team in contention, although his team rarely gives up - fails to execute, that is another story.

he is a .500 coach as a rookie, and will get a .500 rating from me.[/QUOTE]
    Agree.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    ten

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dassin;3374588]I'll give him an 8.

[/QUOTE]

An 8 for a HC who is 4-6 with embarrassing losses to the Phins (twice), Bills and Jags?

You must be grading on a curve.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    eleven

belicheat was 5-11 in his first year with the Patri*ts. And that was after like 5 years as a head coach before he was sh!tcanned for incompetence by the Browns. Then he discovered his estrella and the videos and the world changed for the cheating douchebag

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3374601]An 8 for a HC who is 4-6 with embarrassing losses to the Phins (twice), Bills and Jags?

You must be grading on a curve.[/QUOTE]

Embarrassing? Tragic and heart-breaking maybe but I wouldn't say all three were embarrassing. All games you mention came down to the wire and were against teams in playoff contention.

I'm grading him as a rookie HC in NYC, so that might be the curve you're looking for.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EricJ;3374552][B]RATE ON SCALE OF 1-10[/B]
    On a scale of 1-10 so far this season, [B]I will give him a 7[/B]. He has elevated this team but still has a long way to go.[/QUOTE]

Man you are tough! but I'll take it!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Lazy Bum;3374593]i'll go only as high as a 5, but i think that is the ceiling for a rookie HC that doesn't have his squad shocking the league.

he is a .500 coach as a rookie, and will get a .500 rating from me.[/QUOTE]

i agree 5 it is!!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ryan10;3374628]i agree 5 it is!![/QUOTE]

I am at a 5 as well. This is a team with better talent than its record. That reflects being undercoached. I believe in Ryan now as the answer for the future, and he is a rookie so he gets the benefit of the doubt to keep trying, but does not mean he gets a better grade than he deserves.

5, which is better than his record. Ryan has alot of potential, but he needs to coach better.

No coaching breakdowns-time management, special teams, roster.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B][SIZE="5"]6[/SIZE][/B] sounds about right to me. Lots of positives, especially the fact that he doesn't blindly go with things that aren't working as evidence by benching Rhodes, getting more involved on offense, etc. I like that. But too many close losses and the team has not shown improvement throughout the year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

sg3

are you serious ?? You must pee green.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;3374601]An 8 for a HC who is 4-6 with embarrassing losses to the Phins (twice), Bills and Jags?

You must be grading on a curve.[/QUOTE]

If only Rex could have had the run Belichick had in Cleveland or the amazing first season Belichick had in New England.

I'll give Rex a 6.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    let's just say the jets are special. they play in a big fisbowl and they have no real winning heritage. seems like something always goes wrong whether it's michaels being launched in place of walton or picking obrien over the player never to mentioned or dick steinberg dying young or the kotite seasons or the bellichicken crying home to kraft etc. it's tough when the only heritage is 40 years previous and that team was a bunch of misfits. it's going to take some time for this team to get that esprit de corps that comes only from winning. as many posters point out, the steelers were the pits for nearly 40 years until noll had that great draft. the bears took a long time to recover after halas retired. the rams took a move to st louis. the jets are always being jerked around.

as for rex, he's a rookie head coach who still thinks more like a defensive coordinator. leaving schotty in charge of the offense was probably his biggest mistake with letting rhodes tweet his second. he'll come around. parcells was 3-13 his first season as hc of the giaints and he learned from his mistakes. not for nothing but both of these coaches have some roots with oklahoma. the next 6 games will definitely tell if rex is the guy for the future.