Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think society is more/less dangerous than 30 years ago ?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think society is more/less dangerous than 30 years ago ?

Now that I’m a father, all of a sudden I’m worried about stuff I’ve never worried about: I installed fire detectors in the appt, protecting electrical sockets…etc. All that is normal, but what about the rest? In general do you think letting your kid walk to school is more dangerous than before (all things equal)? Are there more psychos/sexual predators than before or is it just the media coverage that has given us that impression?

When I was growing up, my parents would let me walk to the bus stop alone, ride my bike to school…etc. When we moved back here I was 14 and taking the subway alone everday. Now it seems the norm is to dress your kid in full riot gear just to ride a bike.

Personally, and I don’t have that much hindsight since my kid is only one, I don’t want to be overly protective which seems to be the tendency IMO. Cuts, bruises and scabs are part of being a kid. However, I think there is one aspect of modern life that didn’t exist is internet forums for kids which seem to be the perfect place for sexual predators to get off.

Opinions?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its amore dangerous place. Sure kids on bikes wear helmets, but the sickos far outnumber some bumps and bruises.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It may be that we are more aware of things these days, and take more precautions. I think the world was fairly dangerous 30 years ago.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BURGERMIKE;3377853]I think its amore dangerous place. Sure kids on bikes wear helmets, but the sickos far outnumber some bumps and bruises.[/QUOTE]
    Sickos have easier access now to kids with internet but I don't honestly think there are more of them though.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Pervs have been around since the begining of time, as J-dub said we are more aware. Well we are at least catchin em now

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its the old man in the rocking chair theory.

we look at this guy when we're young screaming about society's indecency, the violence, the laziness, the lack of "values" and we say he's "not with the times".

Until we're the ones screaming in the chair later on. Society is is exactly the same as it's always been.

today's terrorism = the Japanese would bomb us/ the Russians would drop the nuke

violence on TV = James Bond movies being to explosive

etc etc etc.

Most kids with a solid family that knows when to be loose and when to be stern produce kids that will always been decent people regardless of the time. just focus on that instead and you'll be fine. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;3377875]Its the old man in the rocking chair theory.

we look at this guy when we're young screaming about society's indecency, the violence, the laziness, the lack of "values" and we say he's "not with the times".

Until we're the ones screaming in the chair later on. Society is is exactly the same as it's always been.

today's terrorism = the Japanese would bomb us/ the Russians would drop the nuke

etc etc etc.

Most kids with a solid family that knows when to be loose and when to be stern produce kids that will always been decent people regardless of the time. just focus on that instead and you'll be fine. :yes:[/QUOTE]
    Well said.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to remember something happening when I was young. I had a friend who was about five years old, as was I, and he told me had met some grown-up who he was befriending. One day he took me to meet him in the woods. When I got there, there was a short stout guy with dark hair and glasses, he appeared to be in his twenties. As soon as we got near him, my mother popped out of nowhere and told him to get the hell out of there. I think she followed us.

I've been meaning to ask my mom about it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3377865][B]Sickos have easier access now to kids with internet[/B] but I don't honestly think there are more of them though.[/QUOTE]

and decades ago people probably said that when more and more people bought automobiles and unsuspecting kids were being picked up with the "i've got candy" line.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Most kids with a solid family that knows when to be loose and when to be stern produce kids that will always been decent people regardless of the time. [/QUOTE]

I couldn't disagree more. The chances are of course better, but sometimes kids go bad in spite of family. The media certainly isn't helping parents raise kids.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3377877]I seem to remember something happening when I was young. I had a friend who was about five years old, as was I, and he told me had met some grown-up who he was befriending. One day he took me to meet him in the woods. When I got there, there was a short stout guy with dark hair and glasses, he appeared to be in his twenties. As soon as we got near him, my mother popped out of nowhere and told him to get the hell out of there. I think she followed us.

I've been meaning to ask my mom about it.[/QUOTE]

Did you used to blow Bubbles as a kid? Well... he's back in town. :D

jk jk

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3377877]I seem to remember something happening when I was young. I had a friend who was about five years old, as was I, and he told me had met some grown-up who he was befriending. One day he took me to meet him in the woods. When I got there, there was a short stout guy with dark hair and glasses, he appeared to be in his twenties. As soon as we got near him, my mother popped out of nowhere and told him to get the hell out of there. I think she followed us.

I've been meaning to ask my mom about it.[/QUOTE]
    :eek:

[IMG]http://img.timeinc.net/time/2007/crimes/images/john_wayne_gacy.jpg[/IMG]

was he dressed as a clown?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3377882]I couldn't disagree more. The chances are of course better, [B]but sometimes kids go bad in spite of family.[/B] The media certainly isn't helping parents raise kids.[/QUOTE]

All forms of media have been around since society was able to speak. Today's is no different than the loopy dumbass that stood on a box and preached in the Roman Square.

Though I've wondered how modern western audiences would feel if a true gladiator fight were aired...blood and all.

Bold edit* And that hasn't happened 30 years ago? only today? Not being argumentative just sayin'..
    Last edited by FreshBaked 24 7; 11-30-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;3377879]and decades ago people probably said that when more and more people bought automobiles and unsuspecting kids were being picked up with the "i've got candy" line.[/QUOTE]
    Someone tried to grab my mom, sister, and I with, "hey lady do you want some 'cheap milk' " line back in the 60's. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;3377889]All forms of media have been around since society was able to speak. Today's is no different than the [B]loopy dumbass that stood on a box [/B]and preached in the Roman Square.

[/QUOTE]

I liked when he did MTV's Real World.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3377891]Someone tried to grab my mom, sister, and I with, "hey lady do you want some 'cheap milk' " line back in the 60's. I remember it like it was yesterday.[/QUOTE]

gah that's horrible. Always a fear of mine growing up. Now it's the "hey checkout these games I got. Wanna play? Tell me where you live and we can play them"

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

etc etc etc.

Most kids with a solid family that knows when to be loose and when to be stern produce kids that will always been decent people regardless of the time. just focus on that instead and you'll be fine. :yes:[/QUOTE]

I'll take a slightly different angle on how I think things have changed for the worse. Because I agree with all of that but it seems like the bar is being raised at every turn.

Sure, 50 years ago people would be shocked if a girl on TV had a skirt that ended above the knee. 10 years ago it was Girls Gone Wild, 5 years ago Britney is parading around flashing her beaver to any Paparazzi with a camera. The other night I guess it was a simulated gay sex act on TV during an awards show performance by Adam Lambert.

In terms of violence, we grew up with Tom & Jerry and James Bond blowing up cars, but now we've got 15-year olds lighting their neighbor on fire because he didn't pay $40 back. We've got kids watching things like Jackass on TV and thinking its cool to shoot a Taser at your friend.

Boxing has been replaced by MMA. Sneaking a peak at some boobs in Dad's hidden stash of Playboys is replaced by graphic and over-the-top (borderline illegal) videos of sex that are just a click away for anyone with internet access.

Things have changed and the two biggest reasons to me are the following:
    1. Information is everywhere. Internet, 100's of TV channels, cellphones, texting, etc. make everything from words and ideas to sounds and video omnipresent.
    2. Marketing, $$$ and Reality TV. Yes, whether it's an Ovaltine commercial during Leave It To Beaver, or a late night Girls Gone Wild DVD commercial, companies have always tried to sell products. But it just seems that now you really need to shock people, really need to do something unconventional to get attention and sell. People scamming there way into the White House dinner for reality TV pursuits? Are you kidding me? You think this ever happened when JFK or Reagan were in the White House?

No, I don't think we've got a much larger percentage of cruel or criminal people in society, but the forces of society are bringing lots of things to light and presenting opportunities that never existed before. And if you don't agree with me, ask someone with a teenage daughter who has a boyfriend and owns a cellphone with a camera if he sleeps well at night.

My biggest concern: Look where we were (say in the 50's), look where we are now, and where do you think we're going? In other words, how much more shock and sensationalism will it take in 10 years?
    Last edited by jetstream23; 11-30-2009 at 12:10 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3377894]I liked when he did MTV's Real World.[/QUOTE]

The Real Word: Babylon

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FreshBaked 24 7;3377879]and decades ago people probably said that when more and more people bought automobiles and unsuspecting kids were being picked up with the "i've got candy" line.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.demotivateus.com/posters/chances-candy-van-legit-demotivational-poster1.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3377898]I'll take a slightly different angle on how I think things have changed for the worse. Because I agree with all of that but it seems like the bar is being raised at every turn.

Sure, 50 years ago people would be shocked if a girl on TV had a skirt that ended above the knee. 10 years ago it was Girls Gone Wild, 5 years ago Britney is parading around flashing her beaver to any Paparazzi with a camera. The other night I guess it was a simulated gay sex act on TV during an awards show performance by Adam Lambert.

In terms of violence, we grew up with Tom & Jerry and James Bond blowing up cars, but now we've got 15-year olds lighting their neighbor on fire because he didn't pay $40 back. We've got kids watching things like Jackass on TV and thinking its cool to shoot a Taser at your friend.

Boxing has been replaced by MMA. Sneaking a peak at some boobs in Dad's hidden stash of Playboys is replaced by graphic and over-the-top (borderline illegal) videos of sex that are just a click away for anyone with internet access.

Things have changed and the two biggest reasons to me are the following:
    1. Information is everywhere. Internet, 100's of TV channels, cellphones, texting, etc. make everything from words and ideas to sounds and video omnipresent.
    2. Marketing, $$$ and Reality TV. Yes, whether it's an Ovaltine commercial during Leave It To Beaver, or a late night Girls Gone Wild DVD commercial, companies have always tried to sell products. But it just seems that now you really need to shock people, really need to do something unconventional to get attention and sell. People scamming there way into the White House dinner for reality TV pursuits? Are you kidding me? You think this ever happened when JFK or Reagan were in the White House?

No, I don't think we've got a much larger percentage of cruel or criminal people in society, but the forces of society are bringing lots of things to light and presenting opportunities that never existed before. And if you don't agree with me, ask someone with a teenage daughter who has a boyfriend and owns a cellphone with a camera if he sleeps well at night.[/QUOTE]

And kids fighting at school has become a federal offense leading to arrest, charges, fines, and consoling where as it used to be "kid just being kids"

Kids used to be hit at school. Now you can barely discipline them.

Someone who was of a different color couldn't even drink at the same water fountain by old standards. Now its almost unheard of.

It was looked down upon for a woman to have a career. Now we have a society of strong and contributing women.

Things change for the worse and for the better... all the time... everywhere.

the sources of information were always changing even before the internet, and what is now exposed on the internet was more likely being done underground or only kept in local records.

I don't know... just call me a mouthy whipper snapper and call it a day :P

Agree to Disagree