Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The President issues order for roughly 30,000 more troops in Afghanistan

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The President issues order for roughly 30,000 more troops in Afghanistan

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/world/asia/01orders.html[/url]

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-30-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3378738][url]http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/world/asia/01orders.html[/url]

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

You first.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [I]Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.[/I]

I supported Obama in part because of his intent to bring home the troops. Now, he becomes just another in a long line of political frauds. Afghanistan and Iraq are conflicts we cannot win. These young men and women are getting killed or maimed for people who despise us and don't want us in their countries.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    That clusterf**k of a country. Kinda wish the Russians got em in the 80s. Instead of US supporting them. Lesser of 2 evils at the time.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3378743][I]Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.[/I]

I supported Obama in part because of his intent to bring home the troops. Now, he becomes just another in a long line of political frauds. Afghanistan and Iraq are conflicts we cannot win. These young men and women are getting killed or maimed for people who despise us and don't want us in their countries.[/QUOTE]

He never said he was going to pull troops out of Afghanistan. During his campaign he said Bush took his eye off the ball. The ball being Afghanistan. To fight a war he was against, in Iraq.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3378743][I]Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.[/I]

[/QUOTE]

[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21MKGBE3QJL._SL500_AA130_.jpg[/img]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    mixed opinion

I'm glad the pres is pretty much giving the generals what they want..I think the added NATO troops will get them up to nearly 40,000,but we need an end game strategy,I mean how long are we gonna be there..we can't fight wars forever we are no going on 8 plus years of nonstop wars,plus our troops kick the other army's a$$ and them become policeman and are getting targeted by insurgents,terrorists,etc

A good part of me wishes after 9/11 we just made Afganistan a parking lot..that would have sent a hell of a message to the world you mess with us you get the full force of the most awesome military known to man

I don't envy the decision of any president sending young men and woman to possible death..gotta eat em up inside

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of money has been spent just to "cut and run". I have a lot of friends there now and I hope we continue to support them, while they are there.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;3378742]You first.[/QUOTE]

Not sure. It's very complicated. We first invaded Afghanistan because Al-Qaeda, the people responsible for 9/11, had set up shop there, but it appears they aren't even there anymore, and have mostly fled to Pakistan. The people we are fighting now are Taliban and other local rebels, who had nothing to do with 9/11, but if we leave, does Al-Qaeda come back? I assume they would.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-30-2009 at 07:05 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3378758]Not sure. It's very complicated. We first invaded Afghanistan because Al-Qaeda had set up shop there, but it appears they aren't even there anymore, and have mostly fled to Pakistan. The people we are fighting now are Taliban and other local rebels, who had nothing to do with 9/11, but if we leave, does Al-Qaeda come back? I assume they would.[/QUOTE]

I think that's why they can't leave..but what happens if five years from now we are still there and Al-Qaeda sets up shop in a country like Somalia and launches and attack..how many wars can we be in and we will have to deal with Iran sometime soon

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BURGERMIKE;3378745]That clusterf**k of a country. Kinda wish the Russians got em in the 80s. Instead of US supporting them. Lesser of 2 evils at the time.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunetly, what happened to the Russkies is happening to us right now. We have been embroiled in a civil war for way too long while underestimating the will and resolve of these supposed backwards, stone-aged cave dwellers. The cartoon in this week's Economist hits that point on the head:

[IMG]http://media.economist.com/images/20091128/4809Kal.jpg[/IMG]

And because of that, I think Obama had two choices regarding Afghanistan: pull out completely or listen to General McChrystal's recommendation and approve 40,000 more troops. You can't half-ass a troop deployment; this is a lesson we should have learned after Rumsfeld completely blew it in Iraq (if we had the right amount of ground forces immediately following Shock & Awe we'd probably be out of that country by now). Increasing the amount of troops doesn't mean you'd be increasing the amount of casualties. Rather, you might actually decrease death toll numbers.

We'll see what happens, but I don't really like the way Obama has handled Afghanistan thus far.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3378828]Unfortunetly, what happened to the Russkies is happening to us right now. We have been embroiled in a civil war for way too long while underestimating the will and resolve of these supposed backwards, stone-aged cave dwellers. The cartoon in this week's Economist hits that point on the head:

[IMG]http://media.economist.com/images/20091128/4809Kal.jpg[/IMG]

And because of that, I think Obama had two choices regarding Afghanistan: pull out completely or listen to General McChrystal's recommendation and approve 40,000 more troops. You can't half-ass a troop deployment; this is a lesson we should have learned after Rumsfeld completely blew it in Iraq (if we had the right amount of ground forces immediately following Shock & Awe we'd probably be out of that country by now). Increasing the amount of troops doesn't mean you'd be increasing the amount of casualties. Rather, you might actually decrease death toll numbers.

We'll see what happens, but I don't really like the way Obama has handled Afghanistan thus far.[/QUOTE]

Good post. Thanks paulie.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3378828]

We'll see what happens, but I don't really like the way Obama has handled Afghanistan thus far.[/QUOTE]

What should he have done different? Just curious.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...its funny how some people are experts on war...not me...i have family and friends in iraq,afghanistan and korea...i pray they come home soon...

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3378859]What should he have done different? Just curious.[/QUOTE]

I just said it -- either begin an eventual pullout or adhere to McChrystal's recommendation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has he really handled it before now? The only thing I can say is he did go to Dover and meet with the families of the soldiers who were killed a month ago, it was a classy thing to do.

[QUOTE=pauliec;3378828]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3378872]I just said it -- either begin an eventual pullout or adhere to McChrystal's recommendation.[/QUOTE]

McChrystal is getting what he wanted, is he not?
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 11-30-2009 at 08:22 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3378738][url]http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/world/asia/01orders.html[/url]

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

About friggin time.

3 years to late IMO.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;3378875]Has he really handled it before now? The only thing I can say is he did go to Dover and meet with the families of the soldiers who were killed a month ago, it was a classy thing to do.[/QUOTE]

I thought he insulted McChrystal when he met with him in Denmark. Obama was over there on the [B][I]highly[/I][/B] important mission to try to guarantee that Chicago would get the Olympics (which ended up being a waste of time anyway), and requested that McChrystal leave Afghanistan, fly up to Denmark, and meet with him on Air Force One for all of 20 minutes. Twenty. If you want to grant the commanding general of a war face time with the President, there's got to be a better way to do it.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3378877]McChrystal is getting what he wanted, is he not?[/QUOTE]

No, he wanted more troops.