Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help-Shoulder inpingement/bursitis!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Help-Shoulder inpingement/bursitis!

Been lifting weights for about 10 years and woke up about 2 months ago w/ extreme pain in my shoulder. An MRI revealed no tears. Just inpingement/bursitis. Got a cortizone shot and stayed away from the gym for 3 weeks.

When I started lifting again, I was pretty much pain free. But the more I lifted and went up in weight, it started coming back and tonight I had to leave mid workout as the pain was to great.

Any weightlifters out there have any advice? Would seeing a physical therapist help?

I am mentally addicted to the gym and get quite miserable when I cant lift.

Any advice would be much appreaciated.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bursitis is pretty painful. Check to see if you don't have an infection. A certain part of your shoulder might have gone through some atrophy and is starting to weaken. Doc should give you some exercises to give you to strengthen it but you might have to stop lifting for a bit.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3379136]Been lifting weights for about 10 years and woke up about 2 months ago w/ extreme pain in my shoulder. An MRI revealed no tears. Just inpingement/bursitis. Got a cortizone shot and stayed away from the gym for 3 weeks.

When I started lifting again, I was pretty much pain free. But the more I lifted and went up in weight, it started coming back and tonight I had to leave mid workout as the pain was to great.

Any weightlifters out there have any advice? Would seeing a physical therapist help?

Any advice would be much appreaciated.[/QUOTE]

Don't over do the cortizone. It masks your pain and you could injure yourself worse. I had the same problem and did resistance training for about a month. When I started up again I only lifted about 30% of the weight I usually lifted and increased reps. Every week I'd increase my weight if the shoulder was holding up.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Impingment essentially is when the supraspinatus tendon (one of the rotator cuff muscles) is getting smashed against the acromion process as you lift your arm. It is typically a repetitious use injury that has likely been brewing for a while, but is finally becoming symptomatic. It can lead to a tear of the rotator cuff at the supraspinatus tendon.

I advise that you contact a good rehab practitioner; PT, chiropractor, athletic trainer, who can assess the cause of the impingement(assuming the impingement diagnosis is acurate-it is a clinical diagnosis and not one made off of MRI). It is oftentimes an unstable scapula (shoulder blade) often times referred to as a SICK scapula or scapular dyskinesia. If your scapula is not stable against the rib cage your humerus (arm bone) may not pull securely into it's socket and then the deltoid muscles pull it up into the acromioclavicular joint, trapping the tendon as you lift. Bursitis occurs with a similar repetitious injury mechanism.

The aim to good rehab is to balance the movements, muscular imbalances and postures that allowed for the instability. By doing this you are able to gradually resume your activities in a safe range that promotes stability rather than leading to further overload of the tissues.

Where do you live, I may be able to find a good practioner in your area?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Listen to Blockhead above. My daughter is a fastpitch pitcher. She had impingement syndrome last spring at the ripe old age of 13. She had several trips to the physical therapist and they got her straight. Don't dick around with this, go see a professional.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar situation with an inflamed rotator...I really can't lift like I used to, same problem with push ups, sucks.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't ever have any of theses type problems. I avoid any type of exercise whatsoever.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had a similar problem 2 years ago. Terribly painful. Allergic to cortisone so the orthopedic sent me to a really good physical therapist 3 days a week. The guy really worked me pretty well plus I had "homework" to do every day. 5 weeks later - perfect. No problems since.
    Physical therapy - but he/she has to be good. Recommend a large facility and get the director if you can.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3379572]I don't ever have any of theses type problems. I avoid any type of exercise whatsoever.[/QUOTE]

Now that's the way to go lol

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3379136]Been lifting weights for about 10 years and woke up about 2 months ago w/ extreme pain in my shoulder. An MRI revealed no tears. Just inpingement/bursitis. Got a cortizone shot and stayed away from the gym for 3 weeks.

had the same issue in my right shoulder for years to the point if I went for long walks or was standing in a crowd for a while there would be incredible pain and it would throb....

the thing that cured it for me was when I started swimming- which I did because my knees were getting destroyed...the full range motion and stretching did wonders immediately....I still lift and lift heavy with no problems...

the shoulder used to bother me constantly- I think I've noticed pain in it on a single occasion the past seven years...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 12-01-2009 at 11:09 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3379136]

[IMG]http://14.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kqs9elydjS1qzma4ho1_400.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3379793][IMG]http://14.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kqs9elydjS1qzma4ho1_400.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

if the end result of fapping is shoulder brisitis then we've got John Holmes on our hands...or is it in our hand????

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;3379793][IMG]http://14.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kqs9elydjS1qzma4ho1_400.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.vfl-wob.de/assets/plugindata/w2dblg8e45546050ea17d1e2d2e78823244e93/pic1214908462.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3379816][IMG]http://www.vfl-wob.de/assets/plugindata/w2dblg8e45546050ea17d1e2d2e78823244e93/pic1214908462.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

lmao...

does he have a goiter???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3379547]Listen to Blockhead above.[/QUOTE]

I bet this sounded better in your head. :confused:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Swimming huh?
    How often do you swim?
    freestyle, brest etc

I actually made an appointment with a doc who does ART. Its some type of deep tissue stuff that helps tendons, muscles etc. I was on the forums for bodybuilding.com and it helped a few guys out there.

If it does not work, I will try swimming.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3380637]Swimming huh?
    How often do you swim?
    freestyle, brest etc

I actually made an appointment with a doc who does ART. Its some type of deep tissue stuff that helps tendons, muscles etc. I was on the forums for bodybuilding.com and it helped a few guys out there.

If it does not work, I will try swimming.[/QUOTE]

combo swim/run four days a week....just do free and breast but it's the freestyle that will positively effect the shoulder....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3380641]combo swim/run four days a week....just do free and breast [B]but it's the freestyle that will positively effect the shoulder[/B]....[/QUOTE]

this is very true.

i ****ed up my shoulders playing rugby in college, and it hurt like a ***** when lifting. bench press, military, flies -- it didn't matter whether i was using free weights, machines or cables, that **** would always hurt.

i started swimming on the regular a few months ago, and even though my shoulders are not pain free, they hurt A LOT less when i lift nowadays. and even though i don't lift with nearly the same intensity/regularity i did when i was in college, i'm actually putting up the same weight i did in bench and shoulder presses, mostly because it doesn't hurt so bad anymore.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Physical therapy, works every time.

Hurt my shoulder playing hockey in college (well, it was after a hockey game and we were all f*cked up and we decided to ram down our dickhead neighbor's door, and the only instument we had were our shoulders).

Years later it started to kill me playing softball, and I went to a surgeon (actually think it was the Jets team ortho) and he told me I did the damage years ago. Said try PT first.

Was stupid, the first week they had me doing exercises lifting pencils, then a hammer then heavier stuff and by week 4-5 I was nearly 100%.

It sounds stupid, but it works.

Same thing with a torn MCL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes to PT.