Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Part-Time Law School

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Part-Time Law School

I know there are some lawyers on this board and I was wondering if you any of went part-time to law school and worked full-time. This is my only option because my current company will pay a lot of tuition reimbursement (besides needing a paycheck). Any types of advice would be appreciated cause right now I'm pretty overwhelmed and I just sent out my applications.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dassin;3379700]I know there are some lawyers on this board and I was wondering if you any of went part-time to law school and worked full-time. This is my only option because my current company will pay a lot of tuition reimbursement (besides needing a paycheck). Any types of advice would be appreciated cause right now I'm pretty overwhelmed and I just sent out my applications.[/QUOTE]

I have a 2 friends I work with that are going to law school full time and working full time. Work during the day and school at night. It's a little harsh but I don't think they have any other way around it. Good luck

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dassin;3379700]I know there are some lawyers on this board and I was wondering if you any of went part-time to law school and worked full-time. This is my only option because my current company will pay a lot of tuition reimbursement (besides needing a paycheck). Any types of advice would be appreciated cause right now I'm pretty overwhelmed and I just sent out my applications.[/QUOTE]

If that is what it takes, that is what it takes. And if you can get through law school with little or no student loans it is a huge plus. My loans were so high I had to refi them over longer period of time just to have enough cash flow to qualify for a mortgage, and then they would not have been paid off until I turned 52 :eek: Luckily, I was able to pay them off when I Refi'd my home, so at least now the interest is 100% deductable.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    at St John's the word was the professors always went easier on the evening law students versus the full time day students....feeling was they realized the evening students had it rougher working all day.....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Are you in the NY area? I went to Fordham and knew a bunch of night students. Its difficult, but not impossible. You simply need to apportion your time efficiently and be able to take off a week for finals. You are mostly competing against others who are in the same boat as you (although you do find some kids in the night program who are full time students - scammers) so the curve is adjusted accordingly, at least for the first year.

The main question is....do you want to be a lawyer? A lot of people go to law school because they don't have anything better to do. As you have a job, just make sure you want to put yourself through a very tough 4 years - with working and school, there isn't much time for anything else. Also, why is your work paying for you to go to law school? WOn't that mean that you are out of there as soon as you graduate (presuming you find a job)?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3380037]Are you in the NY area? I went to Fordham and knew a bunch of night students. Its difficult, but not impossible. You simply need to apportion your time efficiently and be able to take off a week for finals. You are mostly competing against others who are in the same boat as you (although you do find some kids in the night program who are full time students - scammers) so the curve is adjusted accordingly, at least for the first year.

The main question is....do you want to be a lawyer? A lot of people go to law school because they don't have anything better to do. As you have a job, just make sure you want to put yourself through a very tough 4 years - with working and school, there isn't much time for anything else. Also, why is your work paying for you to go to law school? WOn't that mean that you are out of there as soon as you graduate (presuming you find a job)?[/QUOTE]

Crasherino, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the p/t programs just one less class? My school didn't have a part time program and most of the better schools don't (except Georgetown, Fordham and GW I think).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3380037]Are you in the NY area? I went to Fordham and knew a bunch of night students. Its difficult, but not impossible. You simply need to apportion your time efficiently and be able to take off a week for finals. You are mostly competing against others who are in the same boat as you (although you do find some kids in the night program who are full time students - scammers) so the curve is adjusted accordingly, at least for the first year.

The main question is....do you want to be a lawyer? [B]A lot of people go to law school because they don't have anything better to do.[/B] As you have a job, just make sure you want to put yourself through a very tough 4 years - with working and school, there isn't much time for anything else. Also, why is your work paying for you to go to law school? WOn't that mean that you are out of there as soon as you graduate (presuming you find a job)?[/QUOTE]

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!!!!!:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3379815]at St John's the word was the professors always went easier on the evening law students versus the full time day students....feeling was they realized the evening students had it rougher working all day.....[/QUOTE]

Years ago I worked at a big firm in New York where they would hire a whole bunch of "litigation assistants" who would serve papers and file papers with the Courts (essentially, messengers with desks). Generally, they would end up working about a couple of hours a day and go to law school at night. It was my understanding that this position was really designed for night students, so they could study during the day. They didn't pay them a ton of money so it wasn't a huge loser for them. Not sure if there are any of those kinds of jobs around anymore. Nowadays, they would probably make you work for your money.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not very difficult. I was an evening student my first year before transferring to full-time. I was able to do 12 credits per semester and work a full-time job my first year and had above a 3.0 GPA at a second-tier school. Don't let people who have never spent a day in law school try to discourage you or tell you how tough it is because it's not - I actually think it's too easy to become a lawyer these days which is why the job market is so friggin flooded right now with law school grads.

Unless you're already at a job where they can use you as a lawyer I wouldn't recommend law school unless you really have a passion for being a lawyer. Most attorneys hate what they do and have to spend years paying back loans. Your work will help you out but if you lose that benefit or lose your job you will be stuck paying around $12-15K per semester. Plus you still have to take the bar exam the summer you graduate, wait another 3 months to get your results and then if you pass at least another 2-3 months to be admitted depending on your state and if you have anything on your record.

Graduating law school is no longer the winning lottery ticket it once was. It's not like Medical School where you're almost guaranteed to end up rich. Law school is full of nerds who have nothing to do except study 25 hours a day even the part-timers who supposedly work - get ready to compete with losers who actually read the dissents in cases and know every SC judge that's every lived. Also, the job market is extremely competitive right now there are way too many lawyers out there.
    Last edited by VincenzoTestaverde; 12-01-2009 at 04:35 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=detectivekimble;3380105]Crasherino, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the p/t programs just one less class? My school didn't have a part time program and most of the better schools don't (except Georgetown, Fordham and GW I think).[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. I knew several people who started out in the night program and switched to the Day program after their first year and graduated in 3 years. All they had to do was take Con Law (or some other class) over the summer. In your first year, all your classes are with other night students. IIRC, there were some people who either didn't get into the day program, or specifically decided to be a night student, who didn't work at all and were full time students. I remember thinking that was kind of BS as you were competing against people who were working 40+ hours a week. But I guess life ain't fair sometimes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't go to law school at all. Don't be a lawyer. Being a lawyer sucks. Go get your MBA instead. You'll thank me later.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;3380440]Don't go to law school at all. Don't be a lawyer. Being a lawyer sucks. Go get your MBA instead. You'll thank me later.[/QUOTE]

+1

If I had to do it again I'd have gone that route. Cheaper, less time and work.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;3380440]Don't go to law school at all. Don't be a lawyer. Being a lawyer sucks. Go get your MBA instead. You'll thank me later.[/QUOTE]

hahaha, 95% of lawyers say that same exact thing.

anyone know if business schools accept your LSAT score? i don't think I have it in me to study for another bullsh!t test.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just graduated and know a ton of people working full time at firms and going to school part time. Hell, most of the ones that did well first semester took on moot court or a journal also. It's do-able.

Tons of lawyers say "don't go to law school" and "get an MBA instead." Well the caveat is that if you can't get a good job in finance or something before getting an MBA, you're not going to be offered the best jobs once you get your degree (unless you otherwise have connections). The people getting MBAs are usually the people that are going to be making big-money anyways.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dassin;3380455]hahaha, 95% of lawyers say that same exact thing.

anyone know if business schools accept your LSAT score? i don't think I have it in me to study for another bullsh!t test.[/QUOTE]

You have to study for the MPRE, the MBE and your state's bar exam in order to get admitted as an attorney. The prep course for the bar exam, bar bri, is around $3000 and takes a couple months and God forbid you flunk the bar exam. If you want to become an attorney go for it but know that that's what you really want to do.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=skaoscar;3380488]I just graduated and know a ton of people working full time at firms and going to school part time. Hell, most of the ones that did well first semester took on moot court or a journal also. It's do-able.

Tons of lawyers say "don't go to law school" and "get an MBA instead." Well the caveat is that if you can't get a good job in finance or something before getting an MBA, you're not going to be offered the best jobs once you get your degree (unless you otherwise have connections). The people getting MBAs are usually the people that are going to be making big-money anyways.[/QUOTE]

You have a better chance of getting a job in finance than in law. The legal market has been saturated for years with attorneys, which is why mid-size firms were only offering about 43K a year to attorneys in NYC. Being a lawyer is not worth the investment or time in the short-term or long-term. Most lawyers leave law after a few years of practicing. Those who don't are usually miserable and find a way out much later in life. I don't know any MBAs who looked for a way out.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 12-01-2009 at 06:35 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dassin;3380455]hahaha, 95% of lawyers say that same exact thing.

anyone know if business schools accept your LSAT score? i don't think I have it in me to study for another bullsh!t test.[/QUOTE]

The number is more like 99.9%. And there is a reason why everybody says this. If everybody told you not to build your house out of a certain material because when they used this material their houses collapsed, would you still build your house using the material or would you listen?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;3380683]You have a better chance of getting a job in finance than in law. The legal market has been saturated for years with attorneys, which is why mid-size firms were only offering about 43K a year to attorneys in NYC. Being a lawyer is not worth the investment or time in the short-term or long-term. Most lawyers leave law after a few years of practicing. Those who don't are usually miserable and find a way out much later in life. I don't know any MBAs who looked for a way out.[/QUOTE]

Good thread guys.

My daughter, senior at UNC, is considering law school. We have discussed the "over saturation" of attorneys and now has CPA's with a 5yr degree getting offers 10 to 15K higher than many attorneys. Exceptions of course for the top of the class in big firms.

Any idea when/if this will change??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=escamoter2;3380683]You have a better chance of getting a job in finance than in law. The legal market has been saturated for years with attorneys, which is why mid-size firms were only offering about 43K a year to attorneys in NYC. Being a lawyer is not worth the investment or time in the short-term or long-term. Most lawyers leave law after a few years of practicing. Those who don't are usually miserable and find a way out much later in life. I don't know any MBAs who looked for a way out.[/QUOTE]

What else can you do with a law degree? I'm looking for my way out!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3380710]Good thread guys.

My daughter, senior at UNC, is considering law school. We have discussed the "over saturation" of attorneys and now has CPA's with a 5yr degree getting offers 10 to 15K higher than many attorneys. Exceptions of course for the top of the class in big firms.

Any idea when/if this will change??[/QUOTE]

Don't waste your money unless she can get into one of the top 14 law schools (Yale to Georgetown). If she goes to UNC, she's probably smart and will do just fine without a law degree.