Thread: Roy Halladay sets Deadline for Trade Talks

Roy Halladay sets Deadline for Trade Talks

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4702760

Roy Halladay, the All-Star pitcher who has been the subject of much trade talk since before last July's deadline, will not approve any proposed deal after he reports to spring training, according to his representatives.

This means that the Toronto Blue Jays either will have to work out a trade of the right-hander by the end of the offseason, or be prepared to receive only draft-pick compensation when the pitcher becomes eligible for free agency in the fall of 2010.

Halladay, through the terms of his contract, has the power to veto any trade.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

So I guess we can expect him to be traded sometime in January unless someone gets desperate.

I don't think he'll get traded during the off-season, but I have a feeling he may change his tune once the deadline approaches and the Jays are sitting at the bottom of the division once again. I don't see why he would veto a trade to a playoff contender while his Jays are sitting 25 games out of first place.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I don't think he'll get traded during the off-season, but I have a feeling he may change his tune once the deadline approaches and the Jays are sitting at the bottom of the division once again. I don't see why he would veto a trade to a playoff contender while his Jays are sitting 25 games out of first place.
    i think he just wants to get out ASAP. i actually like this move that he pulled

All League
    Joba, Kennedy, Pena and a lower level prospect.... too little? I'd do that. But by no means should Hughes and Jackson be traded.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Joba, Kennedy, Pena and a lower level prospect.... too little? I'd do that. But by no means should Hughes and Jackson be traded.
    WAY too little. Not a chance in hell the Jays would accept that. Kennedy has little to no value and Pena is likely a career utility player. That's pretty much trading Joba for Halladay, straight up. They Jays would laugh in our faces.

All League
    WAY too little. Not a chance in hell the Jays would accept that. Kennedy has little to no value and Pena is likely a career utility player. That's pretty much trading Joba for Halladay, straight up. They Jays would laugh in our faces.
    Yeah, you're right. I guess I dont want him that bad. I just would be pissed if they traded Hughes and Jackson.

All Pro
    Yeah, you're right. I guess I dont want him that bad. I just would be pissed if they traded Hughes and Jackson.
    No offence intended, but Halladay is worth Hughes.

And we shouldn't want him that bad. No need to deplete our farm system to add a second #1 to our rotation. If we want a starter, John Lackey should be our guy. And the Jays would also want Montero in return as well, who is much more valuable than Jackson IMO.

Hmm..

How about we give Blue Jays something similar to what the Mets gave the Twins for Santana

Brett Gardner, Dellin Betances, Ian Kennedy, Zach McAllister, Mark Melancon.

That's probably better then the Mets package, but you gotta give to get!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Hmm..

How about we give Blue Jays something similar to what the Mets gave the Twins for Santana

Brett Gardner, Dellin Betances, Ian Kennedy, Zach McAllister, Mark Melancon.

That's probably better then the Mets package, but you gotta give to get!

I think there is no way Toronto gives up Roy without getting either Hughes or Joba

Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    I think there is no way Toronto gives up Roy without getting either Hughes or Joba
    It was a joke, but really, I don't want any part of trading for Halladay.

All League
    Chances the buccos land him?

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Chances the buccos land him?
    Zero since he wouldn't veto his no-trade clause to go to Pittsburgh. Who could blame him for that?

All League
    Zero since he wouldn't veto his no-trade clause to go to Pittsburgh. Who could blame him for that?
    your right. I was trying to shoot for the stars.

god knows our GM doesnt

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    your right. I was trying to shoot for the stars.

god knows our GM doesnt
    Clearly your GM's plan is to aim so low that he can never be disappointed.