Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Yankees WILL NOT offer arbitration to any of their FA

  1. #1

    Yankees WILL NOT offer arbitration to any of their FA

    http://twitter.com/nyp_joelsherman

    Yankees will not be offering arbitration to any of their free agents: Damon, Pettitte, Matsui, Nady, Molina
    I think they should of offered Damon arbitration. I know if he accepts it we would be paying him more then we would like, but doesn't the risk of overpaying Damon for 1 YEAR, remember 1 year is the key thing, outweigh the potential of 2 draft picks if he signs elsewhere?

  2. #2
    If you want to keep Damon and Pettitte, especially for one year, I don't see why you wouldn't offer him arbitration. Worst case is you get a draft picks out of the deal, best case is you get him for a reasonable 1 year deal.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    They feel they can resign Damon or Matsui for way less than the $15 mil they'd have to give Damon if they offered him arbitration. No one was offering picks for Damon.

    Only players I want back are Pettite and either Damon or Matsui whoever accepts a 1 year deal at around $7 or 8 mil.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    If you want to keep Damon and Pettitte, especially for one year, I don't see why you wouldn't offer him arbitration. Worst case is you get a draft picks out of the deal, best case is you get him for a reasonable 1 year deal.
    Why offer it to Pettitte? We know he's staying or retiring...

    He's not going to play anywhere else...

    As far as Damon, this may be the key indicator in us parting ways...

    He will most likely not be a Yankee next season...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    They feel they can resign Damon or Matsui for way less than the $15 mil they'd have to give Damon if they offered him arbitration. No one was offering picks for Damon.

    Only players I want back are Pettite and either Damon or Matsui whoever accepts a 1 year deal at around $7 or 8 mil.
    Now that Damon doesn't have 1st round draft picks hanging over his head, teams might be far more willing to sign him.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 12-01-2009 at 05:05 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Why offer it to Pettitte? We know he's staying or retiring...

    He's not going to play anywhere else...
    And if Texas or Houston comes calling again, he wouldn't be tempted?

    I'm not sure I buy that, but it's nice insurance in case that did happen.

    They feel they can resign Damon or Matsui for way less than the $15 mil they'd have to give Damon if they offered him arbitration. No one was offering picks for Damon.
    1) 15 million seems a stretch, he probably matches last years salary, which he's worth IMO..... but even still, it's only a 1 year deal and it's not like the Yankees can't afford that.

    2) Teams have given up draft picks by signing far less desirable players then Damon.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Now that Damon doesn't have 1st round draft picks hanging over his head, teams might be far more willing to sign him.
    Let them have him. Yankees are better off spending way less money to resign Matsui to a 1 year deal and then going after Crawford and/or maybe even Mauer next year. Boras wants a multi-year deal and Damon is not worth $15 million.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Let them have him. Yankees are better off spending way less money to resign Matsui to a 1 year deal and then going after Crawford and/or maybe even Mauer next year. Boras wants a multi-year deal and Damon is not worth $15 million.
    What about next season? Who's in the 2 hole? Who's playing LF?

  9. #9
    I'll give Cashman the benefit of the doubt. He was right about not offering Abreu arbitration, he could be right about this. He's probably reading a dead free agent market due to the economy, same was as last year.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I'll give Cashman the benefit of the doubt. He was right about not offering Abreu arbitration, he could be right about this. He's probably reading a dead free agent market due to the economy, same was as last year.
    Abreu signed a 2- 19 million deal. Damon in arbitration has to get a raise, that makes him what, 1 for 15 million? Wayyyyy overpaying.

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Abreu signed a 2- 19 million deal. Damon in arbitration has to get a raise, that makes him what, 1 for 15 million? Wayyyyy overpaying.
    Exactly.

    There's no way Damon would get a deal where any year is $15 million, so offering arbitration to Damon would actually give him an incentive to stay with the Yanks at a pay raise.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Abreu signed a 2- 19 million deal. Damon in arbitration has to get a raise, that makes him what, 1 for 15 million? Wayyyyy overpaying.
    I'm pretty sure Abreu's deal with the Angels was only 1 year, $5 million.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Abreu signed a 2- 19 million deal. Damon in arbitration has to get a raise, that makes him what, 1 for 15 million? Wayyyyy overpaying.
    Abreu last off season, he signed very late for 1 year/$5 million + incentives.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    If you want to keep Damon and Pettitte, especially for one year, I don't see why you wouldn't offer him arbitration. Worst case is you get a draft picks out of the deal, best case is you get him for a reasonable 1 year deal.
    1. Because if we keep Damon, it will be on a 1 year deal at less than $10M. At most it would be 2 years at around $18M. If we offered him arbitration then he would have accepted and gotten a 1/$15M contract. The Yankees only have about $24M to spend on LF, DH, and at least 1 SP if they don't want to increase their payroll next year. Spending 1/$15M on Damon is just not a good move.

    2. Pettitte made around $11M last year. In arbitration he'd make 1/$14M around. Why would the Yankees do that again? He's either coming back or he's retiring, and it's more than obvious that he'll come back at around $12M. As much as you might like wasting a few million for no reason, this is a business. So no, the best case is not that you get him at a reasonable 1 year deal. The only case is you get him at more money than you have to spend.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    And if Texas or Houston comes calling again, he wouldn't be tempted?

    I'm not sure I buy that, but it's nice insurance in case that did happen.



    1) 15 million seems a stretch, he probably matches last years salary, which he's worth IMO..... but even still, it's only a 1 year deal and it's not like the Yankees can't afford that.

    2) Teams have given up draft picks by signing far less desirable players then Damon.
    If the Yankees lose Pettitte to Texas or Houston because they offered a deal worth more money than the Yankees would have had to spend on Pettitte in arbitration, hell has frozen over.

    In arbitration, you HAVE to get a raise. Those are the rules. Given Damon's season, he'd get a raise of around $2M or so.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Abreu's deal with the Angels was only 1 year, $5 million.
    That was his deal last year. He just signed a 2 year extension. Unless I mis read, but I'm pretty sure he re-upped with the angels.

    Problem with arbitration is you have to give the player a raise. Which puts Damon up to big $$.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    That was his deal last year. He just signed a 2 year extension. Unless I mis read, but I'm pretty sure he re-upped with the angels.

    Problem with arbitration is you have to give the player a raise. Which puts Damon up to big $$.
    Just looked it up. Yes he did re-sign about a month ago for the deal you mentioned. My mistake. Wasn't aware of that.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    In arbitration, you HAVE to get a raise. Those are the rules. Given Damon's season, he'd get a raise of around $2M or so.
    1) In theory, the arbiter has the right to award whatever the hell he pleases to any Free Agent who accepts arbitration.

    The club's salary offer to a player under its control may not be less than 80% of the player's total compensation from the prior year, and may not be less than 70% of his compensation from 2 years earlier. These rules, however, do not apply to free agents who are offered arbitration.
    2) Arbitration contracts are not fully guaranteed. If a team is unwilling to pay what is awarded to the player, as long as they release him 17 or more days before opening day, they would only be responsible for 30 days pay (Or about 1/6 of his salary).

    A Player whose Contract is terminated by a Club under paragraph 7(b)(2) of the Uniform Player’s Contract for failure to exhibit sufficient skill or competitive ability shall be entitled to receive termination pay from the Club in an amount equal to thirty (30) days’ payment at the rate stipulated in paragraph 2 of his Contract, if the termination occurs during spring training but on or before the 16th day prior to the start of the championship season. If the termination occurs during spring training, but subsequent to the 16th day prior to the start of the championship season, the Player’s termination pay shall be in an amount equal to forty-five (45) days’ payment at the rate stipulated in paragraph 2 of his Contract.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 12-02-2009 at 12:43 AM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    1) In theory, the arbiter has the right to award whatever the hell he pleases to any Free Agent who accepts arbitration.



    2) Arbitration contracts are not fully guaranteed. If a team is unwilling to pay what is awarded to the player, as long as they release him 17 or more days before opening day, they would only be responsible for 30 days pay (Or about 1/6 of his salary).
    1) In practice, the arbiter awards more than the salary from the previous year. And, I'm almost positive that in fact, by rule, the arbiter has to aware more than the previous year. Either way, it's going to be more.

    2) Yeah, so the Yankees could have given Damon $3M to do nothing and then not have a LFer. Not sure what sense that makes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us