Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64

Thread: World Cup 2010 Draw

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Pick a side, cannoli breath!






    Paulie, how do you root here, US first, then Italy or the wrong way?


    Er... uh... I hope the US does well.

    But I hope Italy does well-er.


    I root for them both unless they play each other. If there ever was a US-Italy final, I'd have to root for the US.

  2. #42
    Kind of curious to see how Onyewu comes along. A 6th month rehab starting last October, but how fit will he be for June? He was huge for the U.S. at the Confederations Cup.

  3. #43
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,844
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    LMAo....

    Which hamperite is that jumping dude?

    Hey Raoul, I'm a very very casual observer of the Soccer scene and I saw about that France Ireland match and the handball.

    You prolly covered this already, but whats your take?

    I was reading some of the Irish papers on line and they are still bitter feckers about all that. THe French player pretty much admitted it was a handball and deferred to the refs ruling.

    That is a tough way to lose a spot in the WC.

    It has more to do with FIFA having no balls and not wanting to instore video replays than the French being douchebags (yes it's possible).

    Imagine no replays in the NFL. The Jets win a wild card game (yeah I know that takes some imagination) after a fumble recovery TD, that wasn't a fumble. You'd feel a bit sh*tty, but you get over it.

    We find solace in the fact the Irish benefited from similar ref mistakes during the qualifiers (see Georgia penalty).

    In the end, we're staring at our shoes, knowing we haven't played well lately, and got into the World Cup on a ref mistake.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    In the end, we're staring at our shoes, knowing we haven't played well lately, and got into the World Cup on a ref mistake.

  5. #45
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,975
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Er... uh... I hope the US does well.

    But I hope Italy does well-er.


    I root for them both unless they play each other. If there ever was a US-Italy final, I'd have to root for the US.
    I'll be watching......YOU.

    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    It has more to do with FIFA having no balls and not wanting to instore video replays than the French being douchebags (yes it's possible).
    Thats pretty much how I saw it. Thanks.

    SHould be an interesting tourney.

  6. #46
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,844
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    JUNE

    Paulie, dead to me.

  7. #47
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Kind of curious to see how Onyewu comes along. A 6th month rehab starting last October, but how fit will he be for June? He was huge for the U.S. at the Confederations Cup.
    The recovery time for his injury makes it unlikely he will be ready in June. It's really too bad because the United States defense lives and dies with "Gooch" plugging up the middle.

  8. #48
    My friends and I are already talking about where we're watching the US Vs. England match.

    I'm one block from Nevada Smiths, but that place will be an absolute zoo for the match.

    Also, how happy does ESPN/ABC have to be about this. Saturday afternoon, 3pm. They can throw out US Vs. England, that's the #1 marketable match in the US and it's on a weekend afternoon.

  9. #49
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,731
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    from england's perspective this is not a great draw for them. USA beat Spain they can beat England too.
    Of course this is not a good draw for England. It is a GREAT draw. We avoided both of the "big" #2 seeds, France and Portugal. We also avoided African wild card teams who can give fits to anyone in the world.

    If England cannot soundly dispatch the US they have bigger problems than advancing from this group. I doubt the US would have qualified from ANY of the European groups. Every four years you guys get fast tracked into the tournament because of the weakness of the region you play in.

    Yes England have choked in the big spot before and it could happen again. That would not turn the US into a world power it would simply mean we were as crappy as you are for an afternoon.

    So FIFA is investigating Thierry Henry. Egads! I wonder if they will find evidence of handball? Perhaps he should be banned from playing next year. A ban seems insufficient somehow but at least goes some way towards balancing the scales.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Of course this is not a good draw for England. It is a GREAT draw. We avoided both of the "big" #2 seeds, France and Portugal. We also avoided African wild card teams who can give fits to anyone in the world.

    If England cannot soundly dispatch the US they have bigger problems than advancing from this group. I doubt the US would have qualified from ANY of the European groups. Every four years you guys get fast tracked into the tournament because of the weakness of the region you play in.

    Yes England have choked in the big spot before and it could happen again. That would not turn the US into a world power it would simply mean we were as crappy as you are for an afternoon.

    So FIFA is investigating Thierry Henry. Egads! I wonder if they will find evidence of handball? Perhaps he should be banned from playing next year. A ban seems insufficient somehow but at least goes some way towards balancing the scales.

  11. #51
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,975
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Of course this is not a good draw for England. It is a GREAT draw. We avoided both of the "big" #2 seeds, France and Portugal. We also avoided African wild card teams who can give fits to anyone in the world.

    If England cannot soundly dispatch the US they have bigger problems than advancing from this group. I doubt the US would have qualified from ANY of the European groups. Every four years you guys get fast tracked into the tournament because of the weakness of the region you play in.

    Yes England have choked in the big spot before and it could happen again. That would not turn the US into a world power it would simply mean we were as crappy as you are for an afternoon.

    So FIFA is investigating Thierry Henry. Egads! I wonder if they will find evidence of handball? Perhaps he should be banned from playing next year. A ban seems insufficient somehow but at least goes some way towards balancing the scales.
    LMAO.....if England wins its because they are better than the "crappy" US side but if they lose its only because they had a bad day and the US is still crappy, and you posted this from your home in....Oceanside, LI.





    Just messin, this trash talking should be fun to watch until the actual match! lol
    Last edited by 32green; 12-06-2009 at 12:47 PM.

  12. #52
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,844
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    LMAO.....if England wins its because they are better than the "crappy" US side but if they lose its only because they had a bad day and the US is still crappy, and you posted this from your home in....Oceanside, LI.

    32 gettin pissed over 'football', who woulda knew.

    World Cup brings the best out of us, and pulls populations together

  13. #53
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,731

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    LMAO.....if England wins its because they are better than the "crappy" US side but if they lose its only because they had a bad day and the US is still crappy, and you posted this from your home in....Oceanside, LI.





    Just messin, this trash talking should be fun to watch until the actual match! lol


    Still a UK citizen although I have the naturalization forms all filled out and ready to go. Maybe next week.

    The US has at least four sports which have a higher priority than "soccer" and the talented athlete pool are steered in those directions. Soccer in the US is never going to be much more than side show.

  14. #54
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post


    Still a UK citizen although I have the naturalization forms all filled out and ready to go. Maybe next week.

    The US has at least four sports which have a higher priority than "soccer" and the talented athlete pool are steered in those directions. Soccer in the US is never going to be much more than side show.
    I take it you haven't watched Urlacher play soccer?

  15. #55
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    2,101
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post


    Still a UK citizen although I have the naturalization forms all filled out and ready to go. Maybe next week.

    The US has at least four sports which have a higher priority than "soccer" and the talented athlete pool are steered in those directions. Soccer in the US is never going to be much more than side show.
    You and all of your fellow countrymen across the pond, as well as the rest of the world, shoud be grateful that the American athletes are so dispersed throughout other sports. If America's best athletes were focused almost exclusively on futbol, the rest of the world would be fighting for second place nearly every World Cup. Soccer may never be huge in the United States, however, I believe the sideshow comment is unfair. The sport is gaining popularity all the time here and ESPN is seemingly committed to helping it grow. One major problem with soccer is the lack of commercial breaks during a match. It is FAR less appealing for financial contributions because of the lack of advertising opportunities.

  16. #56
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    24,086
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    32 gettin pissed over 'football', who woulda knew.

    World Cup brings the best out of us, and pulls populations together
    Didn't the US play Italy pretty well the year they won the cup? I don't remember much about it, I just seem to remember all the Italians laying on the field like this. Then they'd get up and scurry away.


  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I take it you haven't watched Urlacher play soccer?

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    You and all of your fellow countrymen across the pond, as well as the rest of the world, shoud be grateful that the American athletes are so dispersed throughout other sports. If America's best athletes were focused almost exclusively on futbol, the rest of the world would be fighting for second place nearly every World Cup. Soccer may never be huge in the United States, however, I believe the sideshow comment is unfair. The sport is gaining popularity all the time here and ESPN is seemingly committed to helping it grow. One major problem with soccer is the lack of commercial breaks during a match. It is FAR less appealing for financial contributions because of the lack of advertising opportunities.
    Have to say that claim is total hogwash, Road - the reason 'soccer' is the sport it is is because skill trumps athleticism 99% of the time: if it came down to being the most 'advanced' country or whatever, Brazil would have never won a World Cup. They have a schmozzle of a domestic league, and a putrid infrastructure, but carry off World Cup after World Cup. Mind you, if they had Urlacher, South African triumph would be a certainty.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    from england's perspective this is not a great draw for them. USA beat Spain they can beat England too.
    I disagree. England would much rather have one of the best teams from the NA/Oceania/Asia pool than than the other way around.

  20. #60
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    Have to say that claim is total hogwash, Road - the reason 'soccer' is the sport it is is because skill trumps athleticism 99% of the time: if it came down to being the most 'advanced' country or whatever, Brazil would have never won a World Cup. They have a schmozzle of a domestic league, and a putrid infrastructure, but carry off World Cup after World Cup. Mind you, if they had Urlacher, South African triumph would be a certainty.
    I would also say that soccer needs to grow from the streets. It needs to be a game of and for the people first. Look at Brazil, their talent pools is limitless because every kid is playing in the streets with tin cans for a ball and any two random objects to mark the goalposts practically as soon as they can walk.

    The same is true in Europe albeit to a lesser degree as well as in Africa which is what makes those guys extremely dangerous.

    Now let's take the US. Soccer really is not a game of the people. Kids start off with coaches and semi organized ball as soon at they can walk. It is a bit like painting by numbers. At the end of the process you have something which resmbles a nice oil painting but that does not make you into an artist.

    The US has a healthy soccer program at the college level and so players are fit and well coached but they would not know big time competition even if it hit them over the head. The best of the best go over to play in England where they might get a gig on the 2nd tier of professional level (if they are lucky).

    Under Bruce Arena the US was well coached and defnsively sound. Teams like this can give the appearance of being competetive at the top level because true world powers are not going to score a lot against them. Look at the US players. How many of those could get a job in the English Premier league or in the top Italian or Spanish leagues? Very few if any. The goalkeepers have done well. Everyone else, not so much.

    If the US was in the European qualification groups, they would never qualify for a world cup.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us