Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2010 Draw

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

World Cup 2010 Draw

Pots have been designated for Fridays draw. Biggest losers are Portugal and France who will not be in the Top Seeds hat.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organis...draw+procedure

Pot 1: Brazil, Spain, the Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Argentina, England, South Africa as seeded teams for the Final Draw.

Pot 2: Australia, Japan, Korea DPR, Korea Republic, Honduras, Mexico, USA, New Zealand

Pot 3: Algeria, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay

Pot 4: Denmark, France, Greece, Portugal, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Switzerland
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 12-02-2009 at 08:56 AM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does England deserve to be a seeded team?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    ITALIA

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post
    Does England deserve to be a seeded team?
    FIFA is a joke.

You'd think rules for this type of thing be perfectly clear for every WC but it's not. The rules on how the pots were going to be filled were decided this morning. Just like the playoff round noone knew if they were going to have seeds or not, and finally decided to do so. This made everyone think they were trying to help France/Portugal out. Now, they prolly feel crappy about that, seeing the way everything went down.

So, for the last WC, the top seeds were decided with a mix of your FIFA ranking and past WC performances. For the 2010 WC, they decided (this morning) to take the official FIFA rankings for October, which seems perfectly legit.

Here's the catch.

FIFA ranking for France in Oct: 9th = OUT of Seed pot
    FIFA ranking for France in Nov: 7th = IN the Seed Pot

So, we're in december yet we use the october ranking? And they say it's not to punish us for the way we made it in?

I personally really don't care. It's the WC you're going to have to beat everyone, and we did make it in through the back door on a lame goal. Fine. It's just the way they handle things is a disgrace. Inventing the rules as they go along, and changing them every WC is ...well, unprofessional. Have clear ****ing rules!
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 12-03-2009 at 03:12 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    on a lighter note:

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...rehearsal.html

Cape Town - Oscar-award-winning South African actress Charlize Theron, 34, put up another good performance when she pulled "Ireland" during a rehearsal for the World Cup draw on Friday, it emerged Wednesday. The actress was pulling FIFA's leg over Ireland's failed bid to become the 33rd team at the 32-nation Cup.

Ireland had asked to be allowed participate after being ousted in the play-offs by France, which clinched its place with a goal from striker William Gallas after captain Thierry Henry had handled the ball.

Theron, who will co-host Friday's draw with FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke, pulled the "Ireland" ball out of the bowl instead of France.

"Yes, she did, but it was only a joke," Valcke confirmed to the Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa.

Friday's draw will determine which teams will meet each other in the first round of the World Cup.

pretty funny, if you ask me

it also helps that she's ridiculously hot

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    FIFA is a joke.

You'd think rules for this type of thing be perfectly clear for every WC but it's not. The rules on how the pots were going to be filled were decided this morning. Just like the playoff round noone knew if they were going to have seeds or not, and finally decided to do so. This made everyone think they were trying to help France/Portugal out. Now, they prolly feel crappy about that, seeing the way everything went down.

So, for the last WC, the top seeds were decided with a mix of your FIFA ranking and past WC performances. For the 2010 WC, they decided (this morning) to take the official FIFA rankings for October, which seems perfectly legit.

Here's the catch.

FIFA ranking for France in Oct: 9th = OUT of Seed pot
    FIFA ranking for France in Nov: 7th = IN the Seed Pot

So, we're in december yet we use the october ranking? And they say it's not to punish us for the way we made it in?

I personally really don't care. It's the WC you're going to have to be everyone, and we did make it in through the back door on a lame goal. Fine. It's just the way they handle things is a disgrace. Inventing the rules as they go along, and changing them every WC is ...wel, unprofessional. Have clear ****ing rules!
    Agreed that FIFA is a joke. But it is reasonable to use the October rankings, because France, Portugal, Greece, and Slovenia got to play extra playoff games that other teams (Holland for example) didn't get to play. As a result of these games, France's ranking improved.

Also, it would be an absolutely ridiculous if Holland were not a seeded team. England on the other hand couldn't even qualify for Euro 2008 - so I could see France taking that spot.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vitosavello View Post
    Agreed that FIFA is a joke. But it is reasonable to use the October rankings, because France, Portugal, Greece, and Slovenia got to play extra playoff games that other teams (Holland for example) didn't get to play. As a result of these games, France's ranking improved.

Also, it would be an absolutely ridiculous if Holland were not a seeded team. England on the other hand couldn't even qualify for Euro 2008 - so I could see France taking that spot.
    That's actually a very good point. I didn't think of that.

Still, I don't understand why there isn't an official format so everyone knows the deal beforehand.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The US is so screwed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    The US is so screwed.
    US will no doubt get a tough draw. Americans should look at their promising Confederations Cup as proof they can go toe to toe with the best.

Best draw for US would be South Africa, Uraguay and Switz.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    US will no doubt get a tough draw. Americans should look at their promising Confederations Cup as proof they can go toe to toe with the best.

Best draw for US would be South Africa, Uraguay and Switz.
    Everyone seems to want to be in the host country's group. I am not so sure that is a favorable situation. On a neutral field, S. Africa is obviously the weak link but it will be FAR from neutral when they play. I don't have any statistics but the host country historically plays way over their heads and almost always advances out of the group stages. Personally, I would not mind the US in Italy's group. Italy is a notoriously slow starter in WC Finals and the US always seems to play them tough. A draw with the Italians is within the realm of possibility IMO.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh come on already! So much BS... Just pick the teams...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ****in Mexicans got South Africa. God damn it. US in the same group as England. I kinda like that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    England and Algeria..... could be worse

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    **** Mexicans is right!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Slovenia!!!!!! We can definitely get out of this group.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    YEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!
    England, Slovenia, and Algeria.... Very favorable draw!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's the toughest group ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    What's the toughest group ?
    Group G IMO.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    awsome draw for the usa and for the azzurri im pumped

Veteran