Thread: New Car?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

New Car?

Lease is up in a couple of months and I'm starting to look for a new car. I'm looking to buy one this time and it's probably gonna be an SUV. Just wanted to get some opinions on which ones are the best out there.

Jeeps
    Chevy Tahoe
    Ford Explorers

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never personally owned any of those listed but a friend of mine bought a used Jeep Liberty when we started driving 4 years ago. He loves it and has had minimal problems with it that weren't maintenance related. It's getting up there in miles as well. Not really sure of Jeep's reputation, but he says he plans on getting a couple more years out of it and fully intends to buy another Jeep when the time comes. Hopefully that's somewhat helpful.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Simply from a brand, company and quality standpoint Ford is hitting on all cylinders right now. Great products, improved quality and GM is a mess. Can't comment on the specific models but if you're looking domestic I'd lean towards Ford. I own a Toyota SUV and a German sedan. I've always desired to buy domestic but the quality/safety/performance/cost equations (in that order) have lead me overseas to this point.

Best of luck! It's a very good time to buy. Don't have time to go into details but you'll likely do as well or better now than when the Cash for Clunkers shenanigans were going on.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Buy used. Pay cash. Forget the monthly payment...save your money. Monthly payments are for chumps :P:D

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on the buy used.

There are a lot of low mileage used cars out there. And with the Certified Pre own programs that are available now. You get a longer warrantee than if you bought new.

Save a lot of money. If you can get past the its not new thing.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I've owned a ton of cars and recently bought a Chevy Trailblazer SS (they just stopped making them) it is a great truck. It's not fancy like many other models, but it is a solid, reliable well made truck, with a beast of an engine. I've been rear ended twice and the damage has been minimal, it is getting repaired next week. That being said the Tahoe is probably a good choice. Jeeps are uncomfortable guzzlers (so is the SS btw) and the Explorer always gave me problems, I've owned Jeeps and Explorers, never a Tahoe, for the record.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just had this beauty delivered:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlqsUQIoV3s[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3382422]I've been rear ended twice and the damage has been minimal...[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://xspblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/bfo-rlmente.jpg[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3382508][IMG]http://xspblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/bfo-rlmente.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]
    lol...can't slip anything past you guys

lol

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I own a 04 Jeep grand Cherokee V6. It won't be as good on gas as the Liberty DevJY's mentioned earlier but I certainly enjoy it as my first SUV. I have had no problems with it luckily, and bought it used with only 1 previous owner a little over a year ago. I plan on keeping it for a while longer. My family has owned explorers before but there's not much I can say about the newer models.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chevt Tahoe is absolutlely the best of the bunch. You are getting a proven SUV that has consistently been improved year after year since it's inception. They don't change their engine and transmission every two years like the other becasue they cant get it right. That becomes your headache as they work the bugs out. The Tahoe has a impecible seemless drivetrain, best ride, and best fuel mileage of the bunch. Maintenance is also far less expensive. Brake and tire wear under normal driving conditions are twice of the others. Im talking like 70,000 miles plud which is unheard of in a 4 wheel drive vehicle. You also get the best resale value, if you are purchasing as, well as the best warranty which is also transferable. All you have to do is drive them and you will understand. I've owned a expedition which was a total disaster. If I had a dollar for the problems and complaints that I talk to others about with their Ford trucks I would be rich. Im in the construction business and have flat out proof from ownership which Truck/SUV is the most dependable. GM flat out blows away the other.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... + 99999 - buy used !!! ...

... if you're not set on American ... we just bought the wife an '05 Honda CR-V ... has treated us great for a year and 1/2 ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Post Thanks / Like
    i just got a new tahoe and love it. my mom bought a mountineer about 2yrs ago.it was a used one with only 17k miles on it and she got it for about 18k. she got it at carmax. you might want to check them out, if you see a car you like from another carmax they can have shipped in. my moms came from the coast..lol.

i have a friend that loves the kias. everyone in her family owns some type of a kia. it just depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to put in it. and what you can afford for monthly pymts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a Daimler era '05 Jeep Liberty new for 3 years for my 1st SUV...It had a very bad design defect that involved the front struts and wheels falling off. I suspected I had the same, a recall was finally sent out for a number of model years, mine was so unsafe they had to pull someone elses order and put them on mine. Limited cargo space + Rough ride for back seat occupants + horrendous mileage (14/18) + incipient transmission issues- stay far far away from that and any other Jeep unless you really like the offroad capability.

After looking at Commander, GMC, Ford, etc on others' recommendation bought my 1st foreign brand ever, Honda Pilot 2 yrs ago new and it is by far the best quality car I ever owned-no problems, fit/finish terrific, more interior space + seating than Jeep Liberty and Commander, more car-like feel to drive, easier to handle than larger size SUV (ie suburban), 21/24 mileage. Only quibble is no power seat for front passenger.

The engine is made in Japan but rest of car made in USA IIRC from predominantly US/NAFTA parts.
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 12-03-2009 at 02:11 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;3382991]I had a Daimler era '05 Jeep Liberty for 3 years for my 1st SUV...It had a very bad design defect that involved the front struts and wheels falling off. I suspected I had the same, a recall was finally sent out for a number of model years, mine was so unsafe they had to pull someone elses order and put them on mine. Limited cargo space + Rough ride for back seat occupants + horrendous mileage (14/18) + incipient transmission issues- stay far far away from that and any other Jeep unless you really like the offroad capability.

After looking at Commander, GMC, Ford, etc on others' recommendation bought my 1st foreign brand ever, Honda Pilot 2 yrs ago and it is by far the best quality car I ever owned-no problems, fit/finish terrific, more interior space + seating than Jeep Liberty and Commander, more car-like feel to drive, easier to handle than larger size SUV (ie suburban), 21/24 mileage. Only quibble is no power seat for front passenger.

The engine is made in Japan but rest of car made in USA IIRC from predominantly US/NAFTA parts.[/QUOTE]
    hondas are the only brand of cars my brother will buy. he loves them and said he wouldnt buy anything else.